E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

06-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #111
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Wow, between RBBMWE46M3's post above, and even more importantly, Nautilian's post prior to that...WE ARE ALMOST THERE GUYS! Hopefully mere hours til Nautilian gives us the news we've been dying to hear since our cars were f'ing ruined by BMW with 29.2. This is great work guys, and I think I speak for many on here when I say THANKS for your efforts.

You know what would be humorous and dissapointing at the same time, would be if Nautilian finds out his dealer flashed him back to progman 27.x! Hopefully that's not the case and there is a REAL fix.

God, if we can cure this lag it will be like getting a whole new car all over again!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #112
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
If I'll be frigging dammed...Went to my parents for dinner tonight and when I tried to start the new car it turned over for about 5 sec then finally started...bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu. I wonder what the lemon law is in Indiana? PHUK!!!! It did it again when I went to leave. It had plenty of time to cool down (a couple of hours)

I need a martini
      06-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #113
LiveFast135i
Rep
Drives: e46 3 Series

It's very exciting to read this, and I haven't even ordered my car yet, haha... let's hope this works! I even e-mailed BMW about the lag problem with 29.2, even though I don't have the car yet, I figure I might as well take a minute or two out to help the cause! Good luck guys, keep pressing!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #114
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Wow, between RBBMWE46M3's post above, and even more importantly, Nautilian's post prior to that...WE ARE ALMOST THERE GUYS! Hopefully mere hours til Nautilian gives us the news we've been dying to hear since our cars were f'ing ruined by BMW with 29.2. This is great work guys, and I think I speak for many on here when I say THANKS for your efforts.

You know what would be humorous and dissapointing at the same time, would be if Nautilian finds out his dealer flashed him back to progman 27.x! Hopefully that's not the case and there is a REAL fix.

God, if we can cure this lag it will be like getting a whole new car all over again!
Wow, is the perceived lag of 29.2 really THAT bad? Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #115
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Wow, is the perceived lag of 29.2 really THAT bad? Hmm...
I wish you lived close to me ybbiz. I would let you drive my car gladly
      06-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #116
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

So do they update the firmware without owner's consent?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #117
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
I wish you lived close to me ybbiz. I would let you drive my car gladly
This lag issue is terrible. It is good you were able to convey the problem to your dealer though, and they were able to recognize it. Definitely a step in the right direction toward getting this situation resolved. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #118
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am not sure if this is a good suggestion, but maybe this topic should be put in its own heading at the main menu. That way it would be seen by more people visiting the site and thereby getting more owners involved with saying something to their dealer or writing to BMW. If it increases the number of complaints or comments, then maybe BMW will respond sooner rather than let it draw out and hope we give up trying. Just a thought, I apologize if it is out of line or inappropriate for this thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #119
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

anyone in ATLanta with AT6 29.2 and dinan to compare notes with?

i'll bust out the camcorder and compare
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #120
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I am not sure if this is a good suggestion, but maybe this topic should be put in its own heading at the main menu. That way it would be seen by more people visiting the site and thereby getting more owners involved with saying something to their dealer or writing to BMW. If it increases the number of complaints or comments, then maybe BMW will respond sooner rather than let it draw out and hope we give up trying. Just a thought, I apologize if it is out of line or inappropriate for this thread.
YES...ALL I CAN SAY IS YES.. It is a VERY GOOD SUGGESTION...WELL DONE
      06-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #121
Nautilian
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 & BMW E93 335i

Hey guys,

Got some good news to report.

So I went through to my dealer today and I tried to get them to plug me onto the machine to get a full diagnostic print out of my cars firmware and configuration. Unfortunately they did not have space for me however have made a plan for me to take her in tomorrow to get a full print out. I have also licked enough ass to get them to put an E92 on for a DME upgrade and also get a print out of that. I managed to have a quick chat with the technician (Eddie) that upgraded my car and he confirmed for me that it was in fact a upgrade to 29.2 and stands under correction but said that the upgrade only became available 6 days ago. I will confirm everything tomorrow and hopefully all you guys on 29.2 can have HAPPY days like me.

Regards
Naut
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #122
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilian View Post
Hey guys,

Got some good news to report.

So I went through to my dealer today and I tried to get them to plug me onto the machine to get a full diagnostic print out of my cars firmware and configuration. Unfortunately they did not have space for me however have made a plan for me to take her in tomorrow to get a full print out. I have also licked enough ass to get them to put an E92 on for a DME upgrade and also get a print out of that. I managed to have a quick chat with the technician (Eddie) that upgraded my car and he confirmed for me that it was in fact a upgrade to 29.2 and stands under correction but said that the upgrade only became available 6 days ago. I will confirm everything tomorrow and hopefully all you guys on 29.2 can have HAPPY days like me.

Regards
Naut
Awsome work Naut...keep us posted!!
      06-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #123
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Naut,
Thats great! Let me understand though, he said you got 29.2, but it is a version that is only 6 days old? or are you saying he confirmed that 29.2 is what caused the trouble? Either way it is fantastic that you got your car running back th where it used to be! Will be waiting to see what the printout says.(I have been delaying a service appt for my car for weeks now waiting to see how things unfold. not major service or scheduled, just a few minor things, oh and probably a fuel pump)
Thanks for all your work on this Naut!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #124
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Has anyone thought about contacting a car mag or a news outlet about this issue? Might be an extreme measure, but negative PR always lights a fire under the execs asses
      06-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #125
Nautilian
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 & BMW E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Naut,
Thats great! Let me understand though, he said you got 29.2, but it is a version that is only 6 days old? or are you saying he confirmed that 29.2 is what caused the trouble? Either way it is fantastic that you got your car running back th where it used to be! Will be waiting to see what the printout says.(I have been delaying a service appt for my car for weeks now waiting to see how things unfold. not major service or scheduled, just a few minor things, oh and probably a fuel pump)
Thanks for all your work on this Naut!
No, no, ok here is the story. So if you look in the general section I put a post up asking the guys if I should get an E93 or an E92 335 – taking into consideration that I already have a E92 M3. I had an E92 on order but only expected delivery around the end of July. My dealer contacted me and offered me a E93. I obviously took the offer and took delivery last week. Now I was fully aware of the 29.2 problem and told the dealer that if there was any lag I wanted them to check for any upgrades. Literally the first thing I checked once driving her off the floor was for lag and you guessed it I was laggorized!!!

Now this E93 had arrived at the dealer around 2 weeks ago and had been given a PDI and had her usual programming. I took her in on Monday to get the insurance tracking system installed as well as getting them to check for any upgrades. I distinctly remember the technician saying that there was an engine management upgrade available for her and we would have to hope for the best.

I got her back late Monday afternoon and trust me there was a huge difference. I no long had to put my foot flat, turn up the volume, select my music and then get the turbo kicking in. There was instantaneous power. So guys just wait, a few more hours till I have everything that was done to her.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #126
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Not to sound like a over reacting whackjob, but what are everyones thoughts on how this and the other recent issues will affect the resale or trade in value. I know that when I went to trade my 330i in on the 335 the dealership was very strict about what guidelines they use to make the car a "certified" used BMW. The car had been rear ended when it was one month old. No frame damage and all the work was done by a certified BMW Body shop. I was told that it could not be certified even though it was a bmw shop and even with some of the warranty remaining. I thougnt that was odd since they would honor the warranty anyway and that would be the same as ceritified(other than that little drop in what they give you for the trade. They were going to take $4000 off the trade in value because it would not be certifiable. After hearing that I was totally certifiable...crazy that is.) I did not realize that someone hitting me at a red light would cost me that much years later. I had also put on a set of genuine AC Schnitzer wheels and they were going to try and take off another $800 for putting on different wheels. They were in excellent condition too, I had them refinished and coated and they looked new. It was rather odd because they were quite an upgrade from the stock wheels, and they were nothing too drastic or out of the norm. 5 Spoke type II. Never really worried that far ahead before. Now i think a little farther ahead and worry accordingly. Between the fuel pumps, the wastegates, the progman problems, and whatever else may come up, I am starting to wonder if this is going to hurt what has traditionally been one of BMW's strongpoints, the resale.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #127
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Thanks for clearing that up Naut, your reply came in while i was typing my prior post. "Laggorized", is that the technical term for it? Its very fitting. Luckily I wont need it explained in laymen's terms So the tech is saying there is an upgrade, but is he going as far as calling it a new version of Progman or just a fix for the lag problem? My dealership takes the short bus to work so I have to talk slow. use small words and make sure i give as much info as I can. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #128
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilian View Post
No, no, ok here is the story. So if you look in the general section I put a post up asking the guys if I should get an E93 or an E92 335 – taking into consideration that I already have a E92 M3. I had an E92 on order but only expected delivery around the end of July. My dealer contacted me and offered me a E93. I obviously took the offer and took delivery last week. Now I was fully aware of the 29.2 problem and told the dealer that if there was any lag I wanted them to check for any upgrades. Literally the first thing I checked once driving her off the floor was for lag and you guessed it I was laggorized!!!

Now this E93 had arrived at the dealer around 2 weeks ago and had been given a PDI and had her usual programming. I took her in on Monday to get the insurance tracking system installed as well as getting them to check for any upgrades. I distinctly remember the technician saying that there was an engine management upgrade available for her and we would have to hope for the best.

I got her back late Monday afternoon and trust me there was a huge difference. I no long had to put my foot flat, turn up the volume, select my music and then get the turbo kicking in. There was instantaneous power. So guys just wait, a few more hours till I have everything that was done to her.
Sounds like we'll get the detail we need tomorrow. Seems VERY odd that they upgraded your 29.2 with another newer 29.2

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #129
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

I was at my dealer Wednesday for hpfp. They told me 29.2 is still the most current version and looked at me like I was retarded when I asked if a new version was available. They were just trying to get rid of me...customer service sucked.

SA also told me that the FSE said BMW did not do anything with 29.2 that would cause turbo lag...I was an idiot to think they would try to resolve anything for me.

I'll call them next week and ask if the new version is out yet. But, from what I read from other e90posters, the new version isnt resolving the lag issue.

I'm discouraged with the car at this point. I'm glad my lease is up in October and I'm going to buy a Smart Car or a unicycle or a pony.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #130
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
I was at my dealer Wednesday for hpfp. They told me 29.2 is still the most current version and looked at me like I was retarded when I asked if a new version was available. They were just trying to get rid of me...customer service sucked.

SA also told me that the FSE said BMW did not do anything with 29.2 that would cause turbo lag...I was an idiot to think they would try to resolve anything for me.

I'll call them next week and ask if the new version is out yet. But, from what I read from other e90posters, the new version isnt resolving the lag issue.

I'm discouraged with the car at this point. I'm glad my lease is up in October and I'm going to buy a Smart Car or a unicycle or a pony.
After 3 days in the shop, I'm experiencing something similar, and will be calling my SA to discuss this afternoon. Need to find a pre-29.2 335 to compare it to. This is one of those things the drivers know better than the techs.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #131
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post

Ugh. That sucks. I've always purchased cars, but for the first time ever I'm wishing I did lease so I could go get a damn S5 or AMG63 or something. Oh well, pretty sweet news is I got my FIRST CEL TODAY! WOOT! YAAAY HALF ENGINE!!! (again, my car is bone stock). Car lit the light right at startup. Mildly rough idle but nothing worse than usual IMHO. Shut her down and restarted and the code went away and it seemed fine.

Still holding out a little bit of hope on hearing some interesting news from Nautilian.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #132
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
YES...ALL I CAN SAY IS YES.. It is a VERY GOOD SUGGESTION...WELL DONE
Yeah I've already requested that the 29.2+ issue get stickied, and same with my "** OFFICIAL LOG FOR 29.2 ISSUES **" thread, but the mods don't care.
Appreciate 0