E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

06-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #155
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Well, FWIW, my SA called and said that they sent the FASTA data and they do not have an immediate solution.
He DID add the "BMW is aware of the issue and is coming out with a SOLUTION VERY SHORTLY. We will contact you in the next two or three days to let you know when you can bring it in for the fix."

Now, as I said, take it for what it's worth. Who the heck knows. Personally, I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Also, this is terrible timing since I was pretty set on getting the Dinan flash on Saturday. Now after I raise all hell and cause me dealership headaches, they go work on a sollution and call me back (potentially) with a fix, only for me to say "oh, I don't want the fix, I just got the Dinan flash". ARGH!
I'd just hold off for 3 reasons: 1) don't you want some closure to this whole ordeal? what if it fixes the lag, then at least you know BMW rectified the situation; 2) it would help everyone else out too ; 3) i'm not sure it is a benefit but it couldn't hurt to have the highest progman on your car prior to getting dinan.
      06-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #156
BMWfan07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan07 View Post
Someone mentioned that one way of knowing that you have 29.2 is that the main menu color on the i-drive/Nav is now silver and not brown. Well, I just had a complete reprogram of my car car 8 days ago, and the color of the main menu is still brown. They did not tell me what version number of software I have now.

They did the software update to try and rid my car of the rattle caused by the waste gate actuators, it did not work. They now want to replace both turbo waste gate actuators. My car was reprogrammed for hours at the dealer, an absolute waste of time.
I called my SA to ask him what version of software I have on my car after their failed software fix for waste gate noise. I wanted to know the PROGMAN version but he didn't know. Huh??

He said I had software version E89X0703516 and I now have E89X0803530. What PROGMAN version is that?? Anybody know?

There is no way in hell that I have 300 lb ft of torque at 1500 rpm!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #157
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
I bet the media would love to do a story on how the Ultimate Driving Machine does not perform as advertised. This could get real nasty...
      06-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #158
karizma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i cpe, 6spd, mont/sadl

talked to my service/dinan guy today

So technically i'm not a 335 owner yet, ( my car gets in on monday!)

i've read on and on about this conspiracy, and from what i've heard from most ppl, everything falls into place and the car is "fast" again in a cpl days to a week.

however, i still called my service/dinan guy at the dealership this morning to get a low down, ( especially after reading that some people got bmwna to acknowledge there was a software glitch? )

this is what he told me:

some updates that BMW does to the 335 will 'reset' some of the software and re-adjust the car back to its newborn phase, ie, before it was adapted to ur style of driving and "broken in" properly. however, after driving it for a bit, it WILL return to your way of driving, etc. additionally, he said it shouldnt be a problem in autos' if ure driving in "DS" mode , but will still need to be broken in again a bit.. 6 spd mt's should get their delivery back a bit faster, though they will still need to be re-adapted or whatever.

it doesnt make sense for bmw to "slow down" their 335i a year after its release . i was scared they did this to help the M3 sales , however, an m3 will still blast a 335 out of the water on a track and in many other aspects other than straight line acceleration. slowing the 335 down would hurt bmw more than it helps m3 sales. if my car does 0-60 in 5.5 and a 1/4 mile in 14 seconds, i wouldnt have paid 47 grand for it. additonally, a google search to yield 08' dyno's and track times shows that acceleration and power is the same.

just my .02 !

p.s. - i'm not using this as a blanket statement on others who may have problems with the update 29.2 for reasons unkown , there are always goofy cases of things going wrong, especially with such high tech stuff controlling the car, but in general, the SA told me that any update wouldn't slow the car down, and they've done updates on hundreds of 335's and the people who have complained about lag are usually happy after a couple days of hard driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #159
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma View Post

i've read on and on about this conspiracy, and from what i've heard from most ppl, everything falls into place and the car is "fast" again in a cpl days to a week.
O RLY?

Quote:
however, i still called my service/dinan guy at the dealership this morning to get a low down, ( especially after reading that some people got bmwna to acknowledge there was a software glitch? )

this is what he told me:

some updates that BMW does to the 335 will 'reset' some of the software and re-adjust the car back to its newborn phase, ie, before it was adapted to ur style of driving and "broken in" properly. however, after driving it for a bit, it WILL return to your way of driving, etc. additionally, he said it shouldnt be a problem in autos' if ure driving in "DS" mode , but will still need to be broken in again a bit.. 6 spd mt's should get their delivery back a bit faster, though they will still need to be re-adapted or whatever.

p.s. - i'm not using this as a blanket statement on others who may have problems with the update 29.2 for reasons unkown , there are always goofy cases of things going wrong, especially with such high tech stuff controlling the car, but in general, the SA told me that any update wouldn't slow the car down, and they've done updates on hundreds of 335's and the people who have complained about lag are usually happy after a couple days of hard driving.
No offense, and I get what you're saying, but, we have not merely driven our cars for a day or two after getting 29.2. It has been weeks and weeks, and in most cases a month or more. Re-learning aint gonna fix it.

Also, it's important to realize that we are talking about lag, not a less powerful car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #160
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
I'd just hold off for 3 reasons: 1) don't you want some closure to this whole ordeal? what if it fixes the lag, then at least you know BMW rectified the situation; 2) it would help everyone else out too ; 3) i'm not sure it is a benefit but it couldn't hurt to have the highest progman on your car prior to getting dinan.
1) Yes, and it would clear a bunch up. I am VERY tempted to hold off if their phone call back to me "within a few days" indicates and help coming any time SOON.
2) True - but, I can get free labor on the tune this Saturday at my local shop. They are running a sale. Perhaps if everyone chips in and sends me $100 then I won't feel bad about waiting. I realize $100 is nothing in the scope of $2120 (price + tax) but hell, why throw away $100 if you don't have to.
3) I actually couldn't agree more. I am sorry, but I think Steve @ Dinan's post regarding 29.2 is neither conclusive nor clear. I understand he says it wipes the slate clean when they flash it, but, if they only replace so much of BMW's code in their package, which he states is the case, then the lag inducing code could be left untouched and reintroduced by the flash.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #161
karizma
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
O RLY?

No offense, and I get what you're saying, but, we have not merely driven our cars for a day or two after getting 29.2. It has been weeks and weeks, and in most cases a month or more. Re-learning aint gonna fix it.

Also, it's important to realize that we are talking about lag, not a less powerful car.
gotcha, i guess i wouldnt know about the lag since i dont' have it, i was more concerned with the car being "slower". hopefully someone will figure this out soon. the lag and 29.2 being a problem was definitely news to my SA ( or he made it seem that way? )
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #162
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
gotcha, i guess i wouldnt know about the lag since i dont' have it, i was more concerned with the car being "slower". hopefully someone will figure this out soon. the lag and 29.2 being a problem was definitely news to my SA ( or he made it seem that way? )
my SA said the same thing..."we checked with the FSE and he said its not a problem so we cant fix a problem that doesnt exist..." (i.e. its all in your head)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #163
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
yeah, ezatnova you should hold off so the rest of us can find out what the "fix" is!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #164
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
PROcede v3 completely solved my lag issue. I can totally see the differences in wastegate vacuum on my boost gauge
      06-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #165
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
yeah, ezatnova you should hold off so the rest of us can find out what the "fix" is!!!
Eh...we'll see what the SA says. If I don't get a call, or I get a BS answer, or they say it will be a while, then the hell with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #166
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eh...we'll see what the SA says. If I don't get a call, or I get a BS answer, or they say it will be a while, then the hell with it.
I dont blame you...I would do the dinan tune, too...IF 1) my car had a DAMN oil cooler and 2) my lease was not up in Oct (cant justify $2k for a few months of fun)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #167
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
I dont blame you...I would do the dinan tune, too...IF 1) my car had a DAMN oil cooler and 2) my lease was not up in Oct (cant justify $2k for a few months of fun)
get a v3 PnP and resell it!
      06-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #168
Stin
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335I AW

29.2 and Check Engine Light

I was recently upgraded to 29.2 and my car is now a mess. It has been to the dealer two times in two weeks for a CEL that comes on just after a cold engine start. The car shakes with a rough idle, then the check engine light comes on. Dealer said the DME needed to be replaced, BMW denied the replacement and basically said live with it. Any others have the same issue? I didn't have any problems with the car until 29.2. I am getting really frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #169
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
get a v3 PnP and resell it!
You are probably right that is what I should do. But: 1) used car market SUCKS right now and 2) I got one look at that v3 thing and it intimidates the HELL out of me...I'm not a mechanic or electrical engineer.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=beast
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #170
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stin View Post
I was recently upgraded to 29.2 and my car is now a mess. It has been to the dealer two times in two weeks for a CEL that comes on just after a cold engine start. The car shakes with a rough idle, then the check engine light comes on. Dealer said the DME needed to be replaced, BMW denied the replacement and basically said live with it. Any others have the same issue? I didn't have any problems with the car until 29.2. I am getting really frustrated.
I think ezatnova has had some of those problems. The only problem I've had is that my car now accellerates like a 1990 turbo car like RX-7 or Mitsubishi Eclipse
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #171
karizma
Private First Class
Rep

this is all so depressing. i was so psyched out about getting delivery of my car this week, now i'm just bummed out that i may have paid almost 50 grand for a car that drives nothing like the one i test drove.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #172
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had(have) the exact same problem! Take it to your dealer...get them to read the code. Mine was a "Mis-fire in cylinder 5" Then the paperwork said they tested my gas octane and it was fine, and they did not see it reoccuring and chalked it up to a "fluke" and said don't worry about it.

Go get that puppy tested though. If you confirm the same problem, we can start to look for a trend. FYI, as I said, mine was the same situation, a cold start in the morning. Car rumbled around a bit and boom, CEL pops on in about 20 seconds. Shut her down and restarted and it seemed fine.

It sure is frustrating, but on the good side for me, my dealer is 10 minutes away and they take my car right away and always have loaners. In the past month or so I've had an X5 5.0, a 535xi, and today I just gave back a 750Li (ballin!) lol. They know I'll just bring the stupidass car back again if/when it throws another CEL. Eventually they may get sick of me and fix the thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #173
karizma
Private First Class
Rep

my biggest fear is that bmw actually did "detune" the car..

we would not be able to do anything, on the BMW website and catalog, it says the 335 accelerates 0-60mph in the mid 5's, not high 4's..even if they did detune it they could easily say that the original software was over-powering the car or something.

i won't know anything until i get in my own car i guess, i'm just speculating and peeing in my pants.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #174
Stin
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335I AW

Quote:
I had(have) the exact same problem! Take it to your dealer...get them to read the code. Mine was a "Mis-fire in cylinder 5" Then the paperwork said they tested my gas octane and it was fine, and they did not see it reoccuring and chalked it up to a "fluke" and said don't worry about it.

Go get that puppy tested though. If you confirm the same problem, we can start to look for a trend. FYI, as I said, mine was the same situation, a cold start in the morning. Car rumbled around a bit and boom, CEL pops on in about 20 seconds. Shut her down and restarted and it seemed fine.

It sure is frustrating, but on the good side for me, my dealer is 10 minutes away and they take my car right away and always have loaners. In the past month or so I've had an X5 5.0, a 535xi, and today I just gave back a 750Li (ballin!) lol. They know I'll just bring the stupidass car back again if/when it throws another CEL. Eventually they may get sick of me and fix the thing.
That is exactly the problem I am having and will continue to take my car back in each time the CEL comes on, only my dealer gives me a 328.

I am heading back up this afternoon to get my car back. I will let them know someone else had a similar issue. As an FYI, originally they said BMW had a TSB out regarding this problem but apparently they don't want the costly expense of replacing the DME when it is actually the program that is causing all of the problems. My dealer indicated that BMW will have a new program out in the Fall and I should just "wait and see". Not a good enough response.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #175
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

yeah im sticking it out for now. car rough started twice today. lame. i-drive is retarded can't decide on what setting (cd,fm,dvd-mp3) to stick on. blown right front sub. its a fun car but man i'd rather turn down the bass than turn down the power

thank god its a lease. i'd be all sad if i had to keep it lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #176
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
That is exactly the problem I am having and will continue to take my car back in each time the CEL comes on, only my dealer gives me a 328.

I am heading back up this afternoon to get my car back. I will let them know someone else had a similar issue. As an FYI, originally they said BMW had a TSB out regarding this problem but apparently they don't want the costly expense of replacing the DME when it is actually the program that is causing all of the problems. My dealer indicated that BMW will have a new program out in the Fall and I should just "wait and see". Not a good enough response.
In the Fall...that is ridiculous.

Question - is there an objective way to measure lag? In other words, can you document it somehow?