E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > XI Initial Impressions

01-21-2023, 03:41 PM   #1
casdm9901
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325xi Touring

Garage List
XI Initial Impressions

Hello everyone; new to this forum. I just recently purchased my first AWD BMW and I’m curious to know everyone’s initial thoughts on yours when you first bought it and whether that changed over time. There are a few things I really like about it but most of the time it feels like I’m wrestling an alligator.

I’ve got an ‘06 E91 325 6MT with a couple sets of wheels. I’ve owned several 3 Series in the past (E36, E46, E90) but all were RWD. The suspension is stock and in good shape so I’m pretty sure it’s the crappy RFTs I have on it now (see below). Any thoughts?

When I first test drove it and bought it style 220s were on it with Michelin PSS’s. I had no real issues with it but did think the steering was much stiffer than expected. I didn’t drive it much after purchase when I took those tires/rims off to get them refinished and put on the 18’s with RFTs so it’s hard to tell for sure if it’s the tires or I just don’t like the AWD. It can be really squirrelly at times. There are times when I’m driving it and it’s downright scary - especially hitting a pothole going 60+ MPH. I guess I’m going to have to get the 220s back on after they are refinished and find out for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

1 year/8k miles after owning a n52 330xi (127k mi total). I hate it.

1. It's slow, the gearing ratio is completely different from RWD or Automatic. It's very slow in first off a stop and doesn't shine until well into 2nd or 3rd gear. I can't have fun and dump the clutch due to the extra stress on TC/drivetrain.

2. It's expensive. I wanted to budget for an apple car play screen, rims, or hood (mine has a small slight dent, looks like something fell in a garage). Instead I had to dish out quite a bit on DIY CV axle job due to botched alignment job at a shop. It was around $550 in tools and parts. Having to maintain a square set up is also annoying and I was fairly uninformed about the xdrive platform and was only aware about N52 maintenance and work which was perfectly fine by me. Already 4k in parts/tires/tools on a 7k car and still have to budget for oil pan/clutch/additional tools for those jobs. Could have bought a 335i and expensed about the same on maintenance. At least my car had immaculate maintenance history/recalls done, took 4 months to find a quality example. I know it will be an excellent car with minimal work for the next 100k miles.

3. The additional noise from the drivetrain and CV axles, wheel bearings, driveshaft, Transfer case gives me a bit of anxiety. I know the fluids have been changed throughout the life of the vehicle, but due to my lack of inexperience, I can't really tell where a bad noise is coming from. Have an occasional chirp from driver's side, could be break pad wear sensor fault. Also, since I've done drive train work myself, I'm worried my front diff could leak and break it.

At the end of the day, this is my car and I will love it and treat it right. I'll be keeping this one as a daily and look for either a S54 Swapped e30 or B58 340i 6speed as a second car in the future. Having a used car with crazy horsepower is way better than spending $35,000 on a new shitbox.

OP, I switched from run flats to Michelin Pilotsports AS4s. I can happily drive 80mph without worrying a pothole will dent or break the rim. The comfort is increased and handling on turns is reduced, unfortunately. It's really what you want from that perspective. With the AS4's I don't worry about cracking a rim anymore. Also, $400 saved will go into AWD wheel bearings >

Last edited by Suvorovo; 01-21-2023 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2023, 06:00 PM   #3
casdm9901
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate the honest feedback. I too noticed it seems slower. It’s been a few years since I had my E46 325i wagon but this car does feel slower than that one. Of course it’s bigger and heavier but still unexpected considering it has more power. Not a huge issue for me since I knew what I was getting with a 325, but the handling has been a surprise.

I’m looking forward to getting the 220s back on without the RFTs. I’m hoping that cures some of the poor handling. If not I guess I’m modding the suspension sooner than expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 10:07 PM   #4
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdm9901 View Post
Appreciate the honest feedback. I too noticed it seems slower. It’s been a few years since I had my E46 325i wagon but this car does feel slower than that one. Of course it’s bigger and heavier but still unexpected considering it has more power. Not a huge issue for me since I knew what I was getting with a 325, but the handling has been a surprise.

I’m looking forward to getting the 220s back on without the RFTs. I’m hoping that cures some of the poor handling. If not I guess I’m modding the suspension sooner than expected.
The modding is fairly limited too. You can't just pop in m3 control arms. The suspension is completely different and your options are limited. Best you can do is lower the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 11:48 PM   #5
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Good opportunity to check out xDelete?
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 12:58 AM   #6
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI xDrive

In general I do not like the xDrive from modding/maintenance perspective.

I have an xDrive wagon. For some reasons wagons are rarer in RWD than in AWD, possibly because people prefer to treat wagons like SUVs. I found a good priced xDrive wagon, so pulled the plug.

I have installed aftermarket wheels, coilovers, and performed several preventative maintenance on the car. xDrive has different front suspension, so need to find specific coilovers made for xDrive. Luckily they are not too difficult to find.

Replacing the water pump as preventative maintenance is not fun. The xDrive's subframe severely limit access to the water pump.

Once on an AutoX, I broke my VANOS bolts (yes, I took the wagon to an AutoX). Known failure on N52 engines. I believe the sedans are recalled but the wagons are not, so had to foot the bill myself. Need to pull the oil pan to retrieve the broken bolts (plus the gasket was leaking so wanted to get it fixed at the same time), and the front diff was built into the oil pan. So extra labor needed to pull the pan and extra cost to refill the differential.

They are just more difficult and costly to maintain. Perhaps makes sense in colder climates, but for me in California, I would not choose xDrive if I could have found a RWD wagon.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 08:30 AM   #7
casdm9901
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Good opportunity to check out xDelete?
I have seen and read through that entire thread and it’s already on the list!! Have you done it? If so, what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #8
casdm9901
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein_135 View Post
In general I do not like the xDrive from modding/maintenance perspective.

I have an xDrive wagon. For some reasons wagons are rarer in RWD than in AWD, possibly because people prefer to treat wagons like SUVs. I found a good priced xDrive wagon, so pulled the plug.

I have installed aftermarket wheels, coilovers, and performed several preventative maintenance on the car. xDrive has different front suspension, so need to find specific coilovers made for xDrive. Luckily they are not too difficult to find.

Replacing the water pump as preventative maintenance is not fun. The xDrive's subframe severely limit access to the water pump.

Once on an AutoX, I broke my VANOS bolts (yes, I took the wagon to an AutoX). Known failure on N52 engines. I believe the sedans are recalled but the wagons are not, so had to foot the bill myself. Need to pull the oil pan to retrieve the broken bolts (plus the gasket was leaking so wanted to get it fixed at the same time), and the front diff was built into the oil pan. So extra labor needed to pull the pan and extra cost to refill the differential.

They are just more difficult and costly to maintain. Perhaps makes sense in colder climates, but for me in California, I would not choose xDrive if I could have found a RWD wagon.
Appreciate the info. I was not aware of the Vanos bolt issue so good to know.

Which brand coilovers did you go with?

Sounds like you were in the same situation I was. I wanted a wagon. They are hard to find period but yes even harder with a 6MT and triple hard with RWD and 6MT so I jumped on the XI when I had the chance. It was a great price and figure I’d give the AWD a shot. So far not impressed. I may have to give the XDelete a try sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #9
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
I have seen and read through that entire thread and it’s already on the list!! Have you done it? If so, what are your thoughts?
I was gearing up to, but then our Xi was totaled :-( It seems like a great option, especially the 30/70 set it and forget mode.

The problem with Xi cars is their steering rack IMO. It's much slower than RWD models. Then the stupid oil pan, what a nightmare!!!

Flame suit, deploy: Don't get an Xi unless you 100% need it. Not just because you might at some point, not because it snows twice a year and melts in three days, not because you go on ski trips on spring break, but because you have weeks and weeks of snowy winter and you are going to put on snow tires and know how to use them. And if you really need it that bad, you should probably get a X3 to also have decent ground clearance which the Xi does not.

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 01-22-2023 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: iX --> Xi
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #10
casdm9901
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was gearing up to, but then our iX was totaled :-( It seems like a great option, especially the 30/70 set it and forget mode.

The problem with iX cars is their steering rack IMO. It's much slower than RWD models. Then the stupid oil pan, what a nightmare!!!

Flame suit, deploy: Don't get an iX unless you 100% need it. Not just because you might at some point, not because it snows twice a year and melts in three days, not because you go on ski trips on spring break, but because you have weeks and weeks of snowy winter and you are going to put on snow tires and know how to use them. And if you really need it that bad, you should probably get a X3 to also have decent ground clearance which the iX does not.
Ah that sucks, sorry to hear. Yeah the steering rack is slow - I noticed that when I first drove it and attributed most of it to the full time AWD. I accepted it just wasn’t going to be as good there as RWD. The handling has been a huge disappointment though.

I definitely don’t need the AWD but I’m going to give it some time. I was hoping some had changed their minds after their initial impression but it’s not looking like that’s the case so far. Worst case scenario I keep my eyes peeled for a RWD and give this to someone who wants it - or the crusher lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:00 PM   #11
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Ah that sucks, sorry to hear. Yeah the steering rack is slow - I noticed that when I first drove it and attributed most of it to the full time AWD. I accepted it just wasn’t going to be as good there as RWD. The handling has been a huge disappointment though.

I definitely don’t need the AWD but I’m going to give it some time. I was hoping some had changed their minds after their initial impression but it’s not looking like that’s the case so far. Worst case scenario I keep my eyes peeled for a RWD and give this to someone who wants it - or the crusher lol.
That's a good plan... just enjoy it, but sell it before the oil sump starts leaking!!!
All E90s feel and drive "heavy" in my opinion. The AWD drivetrain just compounds that feeling. That solidness at great on the open road, but a lighter/quicker car for around town would be nice.

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 01-22-2023 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 11:43 PM   #12
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

Quote:
I was gearing up to, but then our Xi was totaled :-( It seems like a great option, especially the 30/70 set it and forget mode.

The problem with Xi cars is their steering rack IMO. It's much slower than RWD models. Then the stupid oil pan, what a nightmare!!!

Flame suit, deploy: Don't get an Xi unless you 100% need it. Not just because you might at some point, not because it snows twice a year and melts in three days, not because you go on ski trips on spring break, but because you have weeks and weeks of snowy winter and you are going to put on snow tires and know how to use them. And if you really need it that bad, you should probably get a X3 to also have decent ground clearance which the Xi does not.
I feel like I wrote this! These are all things I've said before (except the last sentence, which I have to disagree with). The steering ratio is the biggest disappointment - there's just no good reason for it, and it affects the whole driving experience.

Now, that said, I live in a part a Canada that gets actual winter, and I can say that I've been enjoying driving in snowy conditions. I can actually set the car into a smooth 4-wheel drift while entering a 90° corner - downshift and declutch while turning in, rear end starts to step out, square the corner, gas on, power out. Feels like an automotive ballet.

The rest the time (normal driving) the car just feels like a trusty sidekick that will never let you down.

Note that the above description includes xdelete on custom AWD setting and DTC, or DSC OFF. Which is the best way to drive in winter.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 11:48 PM   #13
Cyril Sneer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5 / E91

Now in California, there'd be 0% chance I'd want xDrive. Even in other, less wintery, parts of Canada I'd have trouble justifying it. My RWD M3 got me through many winters, trips to ski hills, etc, while being infinitely more enjoyable the 342 other days / year.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 12:11 AM   #14
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Sneer View Post
Now in California, there'd be 0% chance I'd want xDrive. Even in other, less wintery, parts of Canada I'd have trouble justifying it. My RWD M3 got me through many winters, trips to ski hills, etc, while being infinitely more enjoyable the 342 other days / year.
Yeah, we had zero need for one. It was just the one that popped up for sale at a good price and we wanted to check out what all the E91 buzz was about! The sump gasket was already done, so didn't have to worry about that!!!

The X3 was just an example... I was just thinking a vehicle with higher but not too high ground clearance would be better in actual snow. Now if the roads were plowed clear and just a light snow on the ground, E90 for sure. But if drifts are building up and big pot holes you can't see... having an extra few inches of clearance seems like a good thing!

I've mentioned elsewhere, but an E84 X1 might be pretty good in the winter. Sort of a lifted E90 hatch.

So many options!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 01:38 AM   #15
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the info. I was not aware of the Vanos bolt issue so good to know.

Which brand coilovers did you go with?

Sounds like you were in the same situation I was. I wanted a wagon. They are hard to find period but yes even harder with a 6MT and triple hard with RWD and 6MT so I jumped on the XI when I had the chance. It was a great price and figure I’d give the AWD a shot. So far not impressed. I may have to give the XDelete a try sooner than later.
I'm using the BC Racing BR series. They are great for their price. The set that works for xDrive sedans is a direct fit on xDrive wagons, even though it is not stated on their website.

I don't mean that xDrive is bad. They have their audiences. Considering the rarity of wagons in the States and the price I paid for, I'm more than happy about my xDrive wagon. It's just that xDrive (at least on the E91) is clearly made for daily rather than performance.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #16
k90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -06 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein_135 View Post
More information about vanos bolts?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 06:07 PM   #17
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k90 View Post
More information about vanos bolts?
The problem bolts are torx bolts with a center pin, and silver in color. The bolt head can shear off in certain circumstances. If only a couple break, it will affect VANOS function and throw a VANOS code. If all bolts break, the gear that the chain drives can get separated from the VANOS adjuster unit which is what's actually connected to the camshaft; in other words, the chain will no longer drive the camshaft.

The updated bolts are regular torx without the center pin, and dark in color. If the car was eligible for the recall, BMW will replace the bolts if they are still intact, or replace the entire VANOS adjuster unit if any bolt has been found broken.

There has also been another problem in the timing area causing VANOS issues, which is the seal used on the camshafts. Earlier models used steel seals, which scratches the mating surface resulting in the VANOS system no longer able to hold oil pressure. Later models upgraded to teflon seals which mitigated the issue. When I had my car in the shop, I also asked the tech to confirm that I indeed have the updated teflon seals.

Below is my thread on this topic if you are interested.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959160
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2023, 06:19 PM   #18
casdm9901
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Great info thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 12:19 PM   #19
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I’m curious to know everyone’s initial thoughts on yours when you first bought it and whether that changed over time.
Maybe I'm getting old, but there are 4 trillion discussions on this forum alone on this.

Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 01:32 PM   #20
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Maybe I'm getting old, but there are 4 trillion discussions on this forum alone on this.

Seriously.
The effort to type this at your age must of been exhausting.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2023, 01:39 PM   #21
casdm9901
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post

Seriously.
Sorry to offend your sensitive nature. I will stick to reading threads from 2017..
Appreciate 1
Suvorovo254.00
      01-25-2023, 01:41 PM   #22
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to offend your sensitive nature. I will stick to reading threads from 2017..
I just got my car last year, any other questions?
Appreciate 1