E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help creating this DIY for battery replacement and registration

11-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Smile Help creating this DIY for battery replacement and registration

***Updated 10/22/2015***

Ok. Basically I've been trying to research the correct procedure to correctly register a new battery. I've found lots of good information, bad information, conflicting information and have been trying to create a correct all in one procedure. Please note that I haven't done this yet so steps are probably wrong and there are errors in it because I've reconstructed it from research and not actual experience.

Those individuals with experience, it would be appreciated if you could critique and correct mistakes as I hoped that as well as helping myself I could help the community.

DIY Battery replacement and registration with OEM or aftermarket battery (2005/2006 330/325)

First off; I wish to express that this material has copied and organized from multiple sources but primarily e90post and ********* forum contributors. Thank you to you all.

1. Learn about your current battery.

Read the information from the battery sticker. Specifically, how many Ah is it rated and Is it an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) or lead acid, non-AGM? Look up the manufacturer model number on the battery label. The manufacturer and manufacturer's model name or number is on the label or embossed on the case. Use it to get specifications from a battery store or the manufacturer's Internet site.

Some basic information to know is liquid lead acid batteries, or wet cells, are the most common lead acid battery type while Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries, or dry cell batteries, are the newest type of battery, and can be substituted for wet cell batteries. AGM batteries are consdered safer and more durable when being moved from place to place, but can easily be ruined during the charging process so having your car registered for a "AGM charging program" is more important with an AGM.

Read more: How to Tell the Difference in Gel, AGM or Standard Batteries | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7146519_tell...#ixzz2Cflcx1Qv

2. Choose your new battery. Read the specifics about your battery and then pick out a new one. Use whatever method you choose (price, weight, cold cranking amps (CCA)) but make sure it fits and if it is vented able to release gasses/fluids if needed though the connected vent tube. If it does not fit find a different battery or a longer tube that will drain and not harm the car/metal/etc if fluids were to escape.

The Amp/Hours value needs to be known as well because if it differs from your current battery it will have a different charging profile and need to be set into the vehicle order. You can likely learn this by checking the manufacture’s site or the battery label. If you cannot find Amp Hours or aH listed you can calculate the value from the reserve capacity of the battery.

The formula: Amp/Hours = (Reserve Capacity / 2) plus 16

i.e: If your battery had a Reserve Capacity of 100, you would get 66 AH rating

The formula with numbers: ( 100/2) + 16 = 66

3. This is where the how-to can take different directions. If you are matching your existing battery go to "Procedure A - Replacing my OEM battery with a similar replacement". If it is different you have to go to Procedure B - Replacing my battery with a different aftermarket battery.

Procedure A - Replacing my OEM battery with a similar replacement

a. Confirm that CAS is coded for the battery you are installing. To do this you will need to use NCSExpert to first back up your FSW_PSW.txt and search inside for its settings for battery programs. The car will activate specific charging programs based on the settings in your CAS module settings and then check the item to see if it is in the vehicle order (VO).

One of these possible options should be set in your FSW_PSW.TXT

KLASSE_BATTERIE
70ah
80ah
90ah
110ah
55ah
46ah
40ah_agm
70ah_agm
90ah_agm
60ah_agm
80ah_agm

These possible options in your vehicle order (VO)

E B046 BATT_46AH //46 Ah-Batterie
E B055 BATT_55AH //55 Ah-Batterie
E B070 BATT_70AH //70 Ah-Batterie
E B080 BATT_80AH //80 Ah-Batterie
E B090 BATT_90AH //90 Ah-Batterie
E A070 BATT_AGM_70AH //70 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A080 BATT_AGM_80AH //80 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A090 BATT_AGM_90AH //90 Ah-AGM Batterie

Your KLASSE_BATTERIE and entry in the VO should match what your new battery is before you continue. If this is NOT the same to what your new battery you selected you will need to go to "Procedure B - Replacing my battery with a different aftermarket battery"

If your entries in KLASSE_BATTERIE, FSW_PST.TXT, and your new battery all match you only have to register it as new.

b. Register new battery

Open up Toolset 32 (under EDIABAS folder):

1. Open Tool32
2. Datei > SGBD, Gruppendatei Laded > Select MSV70.PRG > Click Open
3. Highlight steuern_batterietausch_registri
4. Job > Job Einmal Ausfuhren (run job once)
5. The job runs pretty quickly and the results say Job_status = okay.

-=-=-Complete-=-=-

Procedure B - Replacing my battery with a different aftermarket battery

Take note of your aftermarket battery's specifications. How many AH and is it AGM or non AGM? When you have this information connect it up correctly following other DIY for battery replacement and continue. It should be noted that when you code the VO it will erase any previous coding you have done so please either save it or as an alternative code the CAS only; however, these steps not included here.

a. Removing the old battery and adding the new battery to the vehicle order (VO):

Note that XXXX is the possible options in your vehicle order (VO) from above. You are removing the old one in step 9 and adding the new one in step 10.

1. Open NCSEXPERT
2. File > Load profile > Select Expertmode > Click OK
3. Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. Press F3 (CS/FA f. EC) > Select E89 > Click OK > Select CAS > Click OK
5. Press F6 (Back)
6. Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
7. Press F2 (Enter FA) > Select E89 > Click OK
8. A window labeled “Enter VIN” appears with your vehicles VIN number filled in > Click OK
9. A window labeled Enter FA appears > scroll to find VO for old battery (-XXXX) > highlight –XXXX and press delete on keyboard
10. Enter –XXXX is “Attribute” box > Click Add > Click OK
11. Press F6 (Back)
12. Press F4 (Process ECU) > Select CAS > Click OK
13. Press F2 (Change Job) > Select FA_Write > Click OK
14. Press F3 (Execute Job)
15. Verify that the write is complete “Job Ended”
16. Press F1 (Change ECU) > Select NFRM > Click OK
17. Verify lines : get coded, FRM, JOBNAME = FA_Write
18. Press F3 (Execute Job)
19. Verify that the write is complete “Job Ended”
20. Press F6 (Back) > Exit NCSEXPERT

If there are any errors please resolve them prior to continuing. Please consult forums for documentation.

b. Code the new VO list to the car:

1. Open NCSEXPERT
2. File > Load profile > Select Expertmode > Click OK
3. Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. Press F3 (CS/FA f. EC) > Select E89 > Click OK > Select CAS > Click OK
5. Press F6 (Back)
6. Press F3 (Process Car)
7. Press F1 (Code Car)

If there are any errors please resolve them prior to continuing. Please consult forums for documentation.

C. Register new battery and reset the learning mode.

1. Open Tool32
2. Datei > SGBD, Gruppendatei Laded > Select MSV70.PRG > Click Open
3. Highlight steuern_batterietausch_registri
4. Job > Job Einmal Ausfuhren (run job once)
5. The job runs pretty quickly and the results say Job_status = okay.

-=-=-Complete-=-=-

Last edited by Yzandrl; 10-22-2015 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: Adding contribution from crashoverride
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep

Question

Bump. Has anyone done this before and can they offer any comments?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Very nice much needed.

Question I'm finding most after market batteries have a better AH than listed above. Are there more AH settings than you listed/ Can a custom or new AH be added to the list or must it fall within the above listed? i.e I'm looking at two battery's one has a AH of 130 the other 140. Same battery groups as my original battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
yucki68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325d

It can be done with DIS ... More Easy, but bigger software.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Here is a helpful number to include above: Amp/Hours = (Reserve Capacity / 2) plus 16 (i.e: If your battery had a Reserve Capacity of 100, you would get 66 AH rating)

or 50% multiplied by Reserve Capacity plus 16= the ah value (.50 x rc + 16=ah value)

Last edited by crashoverride; 12-12-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep

Thank you for your contribution and I've added that information. Does anyone else have input too?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzandrl View Post
Thank you for your contribution and I've added that information. Does anyone else have input too?
Old thread but best one I found for coding a new battery. Two items:
- When coding VO, it will erase any previous custom coding you have done. Had I realized that I would have coded CAS and been done with it.

- FRM is referred to as NFRM in NCSExpert.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #8
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep

Thank you Nitrousbird, I've added it to the post.

I'm glad that people use it...I don't know if this has helped people or not but knowing how expensive and toxic batteries are it seems a good way to help people set them up right for the longest life possible..and not have them prematurely go into landfills.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
ludikure
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

I wish I found this tutorial when I replaced my BMW battery with the one from Advanced Auto Parts. I would have gone for the battery with bigger capacity. It is not like anything is wrong with my H8 800 CCA replacement battery, but bigger capacity is always better in terms of batteries at least.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
intel1
Rep
Drives: 330xi

HI. i have a question about NCSexpert, i have EXPERTMODE profile in it, do i need to create new profile or do i need to edit the profile. I am trying to code my new battery, but i am having hard time with NCSexpert, I am not sure what was previous battery Amp Hrs, i did register the battery using DIS software. but need to change Amp hrs in it. My new battery is rated as 95 reserve capacity which gives me 63.5 ah, which will be close to 70 ah. so any sort of help will be appreciated. thanks
Appreciate 0