E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > E93 roof hydraulic pump failure

01-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
BrenDun
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E93 335i 2007

E93 roof hydraulic pump failure

Hi All,
I purchased a 2007 e93 335i with 50,000km a few months ago. Everything was given the all clear when I had the car inspected. Unfortunately just before Xmas the roof suddenly stopped fully working. The roof would get to half way then groan and not fold into the boot.
After having the mechanics pull it apart it turns out that the hydraulic pump has started leaking and I've been advised to replace it.
A few questions I'd like everyone's advise on:
- is this a common issue as I can't find anything online about this pump failure?
- I've been quoted $3000 for the new pump from bmw. eBay overseas has used pumps for $3-600 and new pumps online are about $1200. Would a used pump suffice or do these things have a life expectancy?
- is there anything that can be done to prevent this happening? The car is always garaged.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
BMWX5driver
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenDun View Post
Hi All,
I purchased a 2007 e93 335i with 50,000km a few months ago. Everything was given the all clear when I had the car inspected. Unfortunately just before Xmas the roof suddenly stopped fully working. The roof would get to half way then groan and not fold into the boot.
After having the mechanics pull it apart it turns out that the hydraulic pump has started leaking and I've been advised to replace it.
A few questions I'd like everyone's advise on:
- is this a common issue as I can't find anything online about this pump failure?
- I've been quoted $3000 for the new pump from bmw. eBay overseas has used pumps for $3-600 and new pumps online are about $1200. Would a used pump suffice or do these things have a life expectancy?
- is there anything that can be done to prevent this happening? The car is always garaged.

Thank you!
Very common issue and $3000 isn't top price
Same issue on friend's 2011 model cost him $11000
Used pump it's just waiting time and money
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

You maybe able to top up the hydraulic fluid as i am sure there is a way, this may help you get by for a while.
We do this on the 7 series and X series boot system and it lasts for a fair while.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
BrenDun
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
You maybe able to top up the hydraulic fluid as i am sure there is a way, this may help you get by for a while.
We do this on the 7 series and X series boot system and it lasts for a fair while.
Thanks for the response. The pump is leaking and caused a mess. The mess is cleared and the mech said I may be able to recondition the pump but not sure where to get this done. Once the seals go in these I'm not sure if they're repairable.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
BrenDun
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Update: I purchased a pump from the UK from a 23k mile convertible. Oil was added and then installed by my mechanic. Total cost including parts, freight and labour came to $795. Roof is working better than ever!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

nice work!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Smoke4U
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i '08 E93 Convertible

Was your issue similar to the video at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21374536

I need help diagnosing this
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
kev1900
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW convertible E93

Hydraulic pump rebuild

Top Hydraulics will rebuild the pump for $500. Turnaround is pretty quick and it will outlast the car. Pump will be rebuilt better than new.
I have had numerous SL Mercedes pumps and cylinders rebuilt by them.
Doesn't appear that they rebuild any of the cylinders, just the pump. Hopefully they don't because the don't fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:40 AM   #9
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

if anyone ever needs one ive got one for sale!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:00 AM   #10
parsa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e93

E93 Roof not working after repair

Hi
I has an issue with my 2011 BMW 335i e93, where the roof hydraulic pump stopped working and the roof was stuck mid way.

To fix it I disassembled the roof hydraulic pump assembly (worst mistake of my life ). I found the problem and fixed it which was the electric motor brush was getting stuck. but when I put things back together I must have stuffed up and now the roof is doing very weird things without any errors.

I did things like taking out the hydraulic valves and disconnecting the cables, taking out all the hydraulic lines from the block, disassembling the electric motor completely. I like to think I put everything back together correctly and that the problem is unrelated since I've checked every thing a billion times but before the roof was working perfectly.

Now when I try to open the roof the latches open, the roof jumps open a bit and the pump just runs under pressure without anything happening. I think the roof is trying to open before the latches are unlocked and ones the two rear latch micro switches change to "open" the roof stopes and the jacks that are supposed to lift the roof out of the boot are going under pressure but have no space to move.

I have checked the sensors with ISTA+ and the documents and all the sensors are giving the right signal at all 5 different roof positions.

Must be something I've done that sends fluid through the wrong lines and does the wrong movement even though the signals from all sensors are correct.

I've double checked the hydraulic line numbers and positions and if the valve wires are correctly connected but no success.

This must be a colossal stuff up any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #11
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR, WN Caprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsa View Post
Hi
I has an issue with my 2011 BMW 335i e93, where the roof hydraulic pump stopped working and the roof was stuck mid way.

To fix it I disassembled the roof hydraulic pump assembly (worst mistake of my life ). I found the problem and fixed it which was the electric motor brush was getting stuck. but when I put things back together I must have stuffed up and now the roof is doing very weird things without any errors.

I did things like taking out the hydraulic valves and disconnecting the cables, taking out all the hydraulic lines from the block, disassembling the electric motor completely. I like to think I put everything back together correctly and that the problem is unrelated since I've checked every thing a billion times but before the roof was working perfectly.

Now when I try to open the roof the latches open, the roof jumps open a bit and the pump just runs under pressure without anything happening. I think the roof is trying to open before the latches are unlocked and ones the two rear latch micro switches change to "open" the roof stopes and the jacks that are supposed to lift the roof out of the boot are going under pressure but have no space to move.

I have checked the sensors with ISTA+ and the documents and all the sensors are giving the right signal at all 5 different roof positions.

Must be something I've done that sends fluid through the wrong lines and does the wrong movement even though the signals from all sensors are correct.

I've double checked the hydraulic line numbers and positions and if the valve wires are correctly connected but no success.

If it turns out its your pump, I have one I can sell.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #12
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi

Sorry Im not help, probably best to take it to a workshop and have someone look it over
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:46 AM   #13
hard_head
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GOJIRA View Post
If it turns out its your pump, I have one I can sell.
Do you still have a pump you could sell? Top Hydraulics has really jacked up their price and, frankly, hasn’t been the most helpful to work with.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #14
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_head View Post
Do you still have a pump you could sell? Top Hydraulics has really jacked up their price and, frankly, hasn’t been the most helpful to work with.
I do, but im in Australia. I'd have to find out how much postage would be roughly.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 04:53 PM   #15
325I E93 JB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325I 2007

Roof blocked after removal of hydraulic pump motor

Hello everyone, it's always very interesting to read the different posts. I have a problem similar to the one described above: I took the hydraulic pump motor apart to clean it because the roof was slow and after I put it back on the pump, the roof unlocks but it only opens a few inches. I can hear the pump motor running. The red light comes on and the roof can hardly move. If any of you have an opinion on this problem I would be very grateful. Thanks to all of you
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 10:59 PM   #16
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325I E93 JB View Post
Hello everyone, it's always very interesting to read the different posts. I have a problem similar to the one described above: I took the hydraulic pump motor apart to clean it because the roof was slow and after I put it back on the pump, the roof unlocks but it only opens a few inches. I can hear the pump motor running. The red light comes on and the roof can hardly move. If any of you have an opinion on this problem I would be very grateful. Thanks to all of you
You will need to take it into a workshop for repairs.... The roof on the E93 is an engineering rubik cube made even more complex by the number of sensors and electronics involved. As I understand it, the pump is pretty simple, its getting properly connected to the hydraulics and everything back in position for the sensors that causes all the dramas.... In short two things you should not mess with on the E9x series 1. DME mosfets or 2 E93 roof..... good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:00 PM   #17
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If it turns out to be your pump, I still have one available that we could look at shipping for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:38 AM   #18
325I E93 JB
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
You will need to take it into a workshop for repairs.... The roof on the E93 is an engineering rubik cube made even more complex by the number of sensors and electronics involved. As I understand it, the pump is pretty simple, its getting properly connected to the hydraulics and everything back in position for the sensors that causes all the dramas.... In short two things you should not mess with on the E9x series 1. DME mosfets or 2 E93 roof..... good luck
thank you for your answers, I have changed both relays
12 63 1 742 690 and refilled the oil in the hydraulic unit. The roof unlocks well and the motor of the hydraulic unit turns but the roof still cannot be raised. I have no error code with ISTA. Maybe there is a procedure to bleed the hydraulic unit ? or a procedure to recalibrate the roof when an intervention is done on the hydraulic unit ?
I called the BMW dealership, I'm waiting to hear if they are able to do the repairs on my car. I am afraid that the repair is very expensive... I have always done by myself all the repairs on this car and the N53 engine despite the direct injection is a nice engine to work on but the convertible top is beyond my skills I think ... Thanks again for your answers.

JB
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:51 AM   #19
325I E93 JB
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Hi

Hello parsa,
I made the same mistake as you, I disassembled the roof hydraulic pump assembly to clean the electric motor and since then I have the same problem as you describe in the post: "Now when I try to open the roof the latches open, the roof jumps open a bit and the pump just runs under pressure without anything happening". Could you tell me what the solution was for you? thank you for your assistance.
JB
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:53 AM   #20
325I E93 JB
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GOJIRA View Post
If it turns out to be your pump, I still have one available that we could look at shipping for you.
Thank you, if it turns out that the hydraulic unit has to be changed I will contact you.
Appreciate 1
R32GOJIRA250.50
      03-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #21
LAZARUS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Hello parsa,
I made the same mistake as you, I disassembled the roof hydraulic pump assembly to clean the electric motor and since then I have the same problem as you describe in the post: "Now when I try to open the roof the latches open, the roof jumps open a bit and the pump just runs under pressure without anything happening". Could you tell me what the solution was for you? thank you for your assistance.
JB
Did you manage to get your roof working? What was/is the issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #22
SchoolPsych
Rep
Drives: 07 E93 Atlantis Blue 6-MT

Hi,
I wanted to share my experience when my top stopped working.
My convertible top got stuck open. When I hit the button, three of my windows would roll down, but not drivers side. I could hear the hydraulic motor engage, the trunk cover would lift up, but the three part top wouldn't move from inside the trunk.
I replaced the salmon relays but that didn't change anything. Since my top was able to lock and unlock on it's own, I was able to release pressure from the pump and manually close my top with the help of my friend (watch the video from top hydraulics). If your top is not unlocking by itself, there is another procedure you can follow in the video. When I pulled the pump out to look at it (you can just lift it up from it's cubby in the trunk) I noticed that it had corrosion on the valves on the bottom from water. I left my trunk open and left the valves dry out. I had some tell-tale signs that my battery was going out, so I replaced that, and my top began working again! No problems!! I put my old relays back in, because they were still working and returned the new ones I bought and all is right in the world again.
Appreciate 0