E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Beginner's guide to coding. This will get you up and coding.

02-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

Beginner's guide to coding. This will get you up and coding.

Okay, so when I first got my cable, I could not find where to start, what to do, or anything. A bunch of the links are old and don't work, DIY PDFs missing, etc etc.

Okay, So I have a 2007 E92 335i. I bought my cable from Amazon for $20 and it worked fine.

I have made a step by step process to get you coding doors, lights, etc. Follow each step and you should be set.
None of the links are mine, and seem to change time to time, I will update them if I can. I'm not taking credit for any work, just providing my step by step guide of how to instal and what stuff to update since it's scattered between 3 or 4 peoples posts and not all in one spot (until now).

JB4: If you have JB4 installed, it must be disabled first (set to map 0), before coding to your car.

1) Pull up this link and click on the mediafire link in that post, but DON'T download anything YET. (provided is a link to the the post by wildycatcrazy's which includes his mediafire link and some instructions, inside are files needed and a PDF tutorial by him)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192

2) The first thing you need to get are the SP_Daten files that some programs need to run and code your car. You need the SP_Daten for E89 if your car is a: E81,82,84,87,88,90,91,92,or 93. I know it doesn't make sense. But download the E89 SP_daten folder if you have one of the above cars.

A link to the daten files are in the MEGA download link you opened from Wildcatcrazy's post above. "DATEN Link.txt". Download that .txt file and go to the link it has. This will open another MEGA download page, and get the E89.rar file. It's quite large but has all the updated Daten files.

Once downloaded, extract the E89 folder. This will be used later.

3) In the original MEGA folder. Download each folder as a zip (BMW Coding Tool, Driver_D_CAN_USB, EC-APPS, etc.) all 7 folders.

4) Download BMW Standard tools-212.exe you see in the main folder. ALSO download the BMW Standard tools install instruction pdf.

5) Extract all the folders you downloaded earlier.

6) Open the BMW Standard tools 212 instal instruction PDF and follow the instructions EXACTLY. INCLUDING the directions to set up your cable for your computer. These instructions are great and will get you almost there. The will also tell you what to do with the Daten files you downloaded and extracted.

7) Next after everything is installed, Open this link: http://www.dehmicro.com/bmw/
and ONLY download the Final_V49_2014 zip folder.

8) Extract the folder and go into the NCSEXPER folder you just extracted and copy everything in there and go to your C:/NCSEXPER_64 (Note you will not use the "_64" version if you have a 32 bit machine, just use the other "NCSEXPER") and replace everything in there with the updated stuff you just copied.

9) Download this .txt file at : http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1372835591

10) Go to C:\NCSEXPER_64\CFGDAT and replace the NCSEXPER.txt file with the new one you just downloaded.

11) Before you do anything, watch this quick video showing you how to use the BMW Coding tools with NCS Expert:

He runs through everything you need to do when coding.

12) When you use NCSEXPER (with BMW Coding tools) you will load the profile "FSW PSW MAN" (this is the only one that would work for me).

13) Your desktop should have Both BMW Coding tools and the NCS Expert programs there. If not they are in your programs (BMW Coding tools) and in C:\NCSEXPER_64\BIN\NCSEXPER.exe for NCS Expert

14) Here is the excel sheet with a lot of coding options (it gives you what year it works on etc) and tells you what module each thing is in and what to change the code to.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nbPmItRKnaI8_w

I hope this helps. If you do these exact steps and make sure to read that PDF install guide you will be great. You have to go through each of the above steps to properly get your programs updated and working.

If you have any questions ask them below, because other people may have the same question, and I'll do my best to answer it.

Edit: Links should be working, this is just additional instructions to the work Wildcatcrazy has done and helped me get up and coding.

Last edited by JustDriveIt; 07-16-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 5
JohnG716.00
risbo80.00
      02-09-2016, 04:50 AM   #2
Slizza786
Rep
Drives: 330 e93

brilliant guide thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Compi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2009

Brilliant guide! The MEGA link does not seem work, could you kindly post a new link? Thanks heaps!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi View Post
Brilliant guide! The MEGA link does not seem work, could you kindly post a new link? Thanks heaps!
I edited the original post to include the updated link.

And I'll post it here also.

https://mega.nz/#F!vttVCLxA!mf1LGYHnAQTWed0jsehLdQ

Last edited by JustDriveIt; 02-14-2016 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
JustDriveIt I have already requested privately that the work of others shouldn't be presented as your own, now I'll place this public post. I kindly request that you do not take the hard work that others such as myself and LMB335IS have put into our tutorials; basically plagiarizing without giving credit to those created them.

Original work can be found in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192

Also, the $20 cable from Amazon has caused issues for, numerous, too many to count, inviduals. They are too much of a gamble to recommend them to others. There are two verified sources, US based company for $40 shipped and a china based company $100 shipped. There is also a verified source in the UK for those that are in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
JustDriveIt I have already requested privately that the work of others shouldn't be presented as your own, now I'll place this public post. I kindly request that you do not take the hard work that others such as myself and LMB335IS have put into our tutorials; basically plagiarizing without giving credit to those created them.

Original work can be found in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192

Also, the $20 cable from Amazon has caused issues for, numerous, too many to count, inviduals. They are too much of a gamble to recommend them to others. There are two verified sources, US based company for $40 shipped and a china based company $100 shipped. There is also a verified source in the UK for those that are in Europe.
Private message To: JustDriveIt From: wildcatcrazy
"Install DIY
The problem with your DIY is that if "my" link changes, your DIY then becomes extinct.

And if you're going to use someone else's work, at least give credit to those that put it together.

Otherwise, good write up."

Didn't know that meant I was supposed to change something.... or do you want me to delete this post because it helps people?

You providing a download link isn't much of a tutorial. I made a tutorial that included your download link, didn't think that was "plagiarizing".

Just wanted to help people who were getting started, since it took me a while and you have to add and change the files provided in your link.

I don't care about fake "credit". Anyone is free to copy, change, post my tutorial wherever they want. I made this to help people, not to try and make me feel good about myself.

I'll try to add your name to give you credit.

Also that cable works fine for me, and plenty others. Of course it isn't going to work for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
Private message To: JustDriveIt From: wildcatcrazy
"Install DIY
The problem with your DIY is that if "my" link changes, your DIY then becomes extinct.

And if you're going to use someone else's work, at least give credit to those that put it together.

Otherwise, good write up."

Didn't know that meant I was supposed to change something.... or do you want me to delete this post because it helps people?

You providing a download link isn't much of a tutorial. I made a tutorial that included your download link, didn't think that was "plagiarizing".

Just wanted to help people who were getting started, since it took me a while and you have to add and change the files provided in your link.

I don't care about fake "credit". Anyone is free to copy, change, post my tutorial wherever they want. I made this to help people, not to try and make me feel good about myself.

I'll try to add your name to give you credit.

Also that cable works fine for me, and plenty others. Of course it isn't going to work for everyone.
This is all public information. My videos are on YouTube to help others. There's nothing to stop you from using it and I don't really care. But the right thing to have done is PM me and tell me you were putting this together and ask if I minded you including my video in it and I would have said "sure, no problem" instead of just coming across it in some random thread.
      02-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
This is all public information. My videos are on YouTube to help others. There's nothing to stop you from using it and I don't really care. But the right thing to have done is PM me and tell me you were putting this together and ask if I minded you including my video in it and I would have said "sure, no problem" instead of just coming across it in some random thread.
First off, I didn't know that this video was made by someone on this forum. I simply went to youtube and typed in "BMW Coding tool" and it was the first thing to come up. So I had no idea I needed to "PM" someone to see if I could add the video.

See: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bmw+coding+tools+youtube#

If you are upset about finding your video "in a random thread" I guess you could make it private on youtube?? It's not like I took your video and reuploaded it under my Youtube or anything, the video is your link. I didn't know "Billy G" was a e90post.com poster and would take offence for me providing his helpful video in a Tutorial on how to start coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
sredwine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M Sport

Attempting to code

I am trying to use the video to get my coding on. When I attempt to load a profile in NCS Expert, the only choices are "CNCoding" and "Expert"., not the choices in the DIY. Also, is there a best way to find out what modules do what? I have seen some lists but nothing that puts it all in one translated place. I have a late 2007 328i.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredwine View Post
I am trying to use the video to get my coding on. When I attempt to load a profile in NCS Expert, the only choices are "CNCoding" and "Expert"., not the choices in the DIY. Also, is there a best way to find out what modules do what? I have seen some lists but nothing that puts it all in one translated place. I have a late 2007 328i.
To get the other profiles you have to follow the instructions to update the NCSEXPER folder with Final_V49_2014 zip folder. (Steps 7-10)

And the link to the excel sheet I posted has the what some modules do and what can be coded.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nbPmItRKnaI8_w
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #11
sredwine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M Sport

I did that already-I did it again just for good measure. I am not currently connected to the car-wouldn't I still see more profiles? Those two were the only ones that showed up when I was connected (and still are).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #12
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredwine
I did that already-I did it again just for good measure. I am not currently connected to the car-wouldn't I still see more profiles? Those two were the only ones that showed up when I was connected (and still are).
You only need the two profiles...
CNCoding = Standard coding
ExpertMode = Default Code Modules
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredwine View Post
That's odd, Are you replacing the files that are in your C:/NCSEXPER folder, not the folder you downloaded. The "EXPERTMODE" profile did not work for me, but you can try it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
You can have a 100 profiles but you only need two, the expertmode profile is for default coding which is not actually coding per se but resetting a module back to it's original factory settings for instance and the writing profile (CNCoding in this case) which will actually write the changes to the TRC files.

You can have someone send you profiles and move them to your PFL folder in your NCSEXPER folder. You can load a profile then go back and edit it, change what it does, rename it to whatever you want, etc. Google " create NCS Expert profile" to learn how to do this.

Last edited by LMB335IS; 02-15-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea, none of the two that came with the first download worked for me.
However, once I updated it with the "version 49" files, It gave me the "FSW PSW MAN" profile that worked great.

However, here's a guide how to make one that will work for you: (stolen from google search, cry about it somewhere else)

To be able to code to the modules, you need to make a profile that can write to the ECU.

Here's how to do it:

1) Open NCS Expert.

2) Open up the 'Expertmode' profile.

3) Save as a new profile (give it a name, like the godfather or something powerful-sounding ).

4) Load the 'godfather' profile.

5) Edit it (file --> edit. Password is repxet).

6) Make sure under button 'Individualisierung' all options are crossed.

7) Make sure under button 'FSW/PSW', that 'from CVT' is chosen, and that the bottom two boxes are crossed.

8) Finally, press 'consistence check' and check it works.

9) Then press okay.

You should now have a coding profile!

You read using the 'Expertmode' profile, and code using the 'Godfather' profile. (ignore the other profile)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
zhu
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Thanks for the guide! Very helpful to have everything in one place.

One thing I'd like to note that caused me a bit of headache is that if you have jb4 installed, it must be disabled first! (set to map 0)
Otherwise ncsexpert will complain FA-Fehler when trying to load
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #17
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhu View Post
Thanks for the guide! Very helpful to have everything in one place.

One thing I'd like to note that caused me a bit of headache is that if you have jb4 installed, it must be disabled first! (set to map 0)
Otherwise ncsexpert will complain FA-Fehler when trying to load
Ah, okay. I'll add this to the tutorial.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Yeah I had tons of issues with those amazon cables, bought the bimmer software cable and never had a problem again..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #19
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post

1) Pull up this link but don't download anything yet. (provided on wildycrazycats post, inside are files needed and a PDF tutorial by him, he likes to change the link a lot so message him or look for his posts to find a working one)
https://mega.nz/#F!vttVCLxA!mf1LGYHnAQTWed0jsehLdQ

2) The first thing you need to get are the SP_Daten files that some programs need to run and code your car. You need the SP_Daten for E89 if your car is a: E81,82,84,87,88,90,91,92,or 93. I know it doesn't make sense. But download the E89 SP_daten folder if you have one of the above cars.
Thank you to everyone who had a hand in creating this tutorial.

Has anyone else run into an issue with Megaupload indicating that the E89 file is too large to be downloaded? Is there a way around this?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #20
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3er View Post
Thank you to everyone who had a hand in creating this tutorial.

Has anyone else run into an issue with Megaupload indicating that the E89 file is too large to be downloaded? Is there a way around this?
Try using Chrome as your browser. Never had any issues otherwise.
      02-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #21
Unlockphonesmiami
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2007

Hey guys. I bought the BT cable hoping to check my car and customize it as well, kind of disappointed that I cant even reschedule service settings, only seing them and clear codes basically. Can I use my enthusiast BT cable with this instructions you posted here?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #22
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockphonesmiami
Hey guys. I bought the BT cable hoping to check my car and customize it as well, kind of disappointed that I cant even reschedule service settings, only seing them and clear codes basically. Can I use my enthusiast BT cable with this instructions you posted here?
Unfortunately not. You can only use that cable with their software and *********** software.
Appreciate 0