E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Need Help With AHL Xenon Retrofit Coding on Pre-LCI

09-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
billysundae
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Touring

Need Help With AHL Xenon Retrofit Coding on Pre-LCI

So, I'm on the last stage of my E91 pre-lci halogen to pre-lci xenon retrofit, and I'm having issues getting the adaptive headlights to work. I have installed all hardware/sensors (AHL modules, level sensors, wiring, frm2 AHL, etc.). Also have updated my datens and all computer software is working, VO has $524 added to both NFRM and CAS.

I've tried SG_Codieren with a blank MAN file to both the LSMC and RSMC, and at first I got both headlights to calibrate up/down upon startup, but they also danced left/right then back to straight. I feel like this is wrong, since all stock xenon cars seem to calibrate up/down only. Also, the adaptive part just doesn't work when the car is running....

Tried running SG_Codieren again and now only the left headlight dances left/right and the right one has the motor binding up/down....

Anyone know what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysundae View Post
So, I'm on the last stage of my E91 pre-lci halogen to pre-lci xenon retrofit, and I'm having issues getting the adaptive headlights to work. I have installed all hardware/sensors (AHL modules, level sensors, wiring, frm2 AHL, etc.). Also have updated my datens and all computer software is working, VO has $524 added to both NFRM and CAS.

I've tried SG_Codieren with a blank MAN file to both the LSMC and RSMC, and at first I got both headlights to calibrate up/down upon startup, but they also danced left/right then back to straight. I feel like this is wrong, since all stock xenon cars seem to calibrate up/down only. Also, the adaptive part just doesn't work when the car is running....

Tried running SG_Codieren again and now only the left headlight dances left/right and the right one has the motor binding up/down....

Anyone know what's going on?
You shouldn't use blank man files when trying to default code modules.

Use a Factory / Expert Profile (no manipulation) and code each module you wish to code with SG_CODERIEN.

As you had Halogen lights before you also need to add $522 to the VO. Make sure the VO is changed for both CAS and NFRM.

Once 522 and 524 are there, default code the NFRM as above.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
billysundae
Rep

OK, gave factory coding mode a shot for LSMC and RSMC and the lights are calibrating up/down only upon start up. But they still aren't following the steering angle. I've read that it could be that my 2 wires running to the glovebox might not be twisted tight enough? I've also done FA_Write to NFRM and CAS for both $522 and $524 before I did LSMC and RSMC, should I switch to SG_Codieren for that as well?

Also, I've had $522 running for awhile, I've actually had the lights installed for about a year, just finally getting around to the adaptive parts. But good to mention for other people having similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OK, gave factory coding mode a shot for LSMC and RSMC and the lights are calibrating up/down only upon start up. But they still aren't following the steering angle. I've read that it could be that my 2 wires running to the glovebox might not be twisted tight enough? I've also done FA_Write to NFRM and CAS for both $522 and $524 before I did LSMC and RSMC, should I switch to SG_Codieren for that as well?

Also, I've had $522 running for awhile, I've actually had the lights installed for about a year, just finally getting around to the adaptive parts. But good to mention for other people having similar issues.
You still need to default code the NFRM...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
billysundae
Rep

I have default coded NFRM and CAS after adding both $522 and $524. I tried it again to make sure, but still no luck...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have default coded NFRM and CAS after adding both $522 and $524. I tried it again to make sure, but still no luck...
Ah ok, you left that bit out.

In which case it must be your wiring. I take it you don't have any fault codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
billysundae
Rep

Nope, no fault codes. I do know the horizontal motors work since they both did the weird dance when I initially coded them.

Would there be any way to see if the steering angle is being read properly using INPA? The most I've seen are the level sensor voltage readings, which read good.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
billysundae
Rep

Solved my issue, it was CANBUS wiring related.

Apparently I was very tired when I got to this part of the wiring a few months ago. I did a dumb and pinned the bus wires to the completely wrong pins in the junction box under the glovebox. Spent about 10 minutes tapping the wires to pins 1 and 2 according to the retrofit guide, and it started working immediately.

Thank you Sensible_ for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
crimpwimp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 6spd // E46 M3 LSB

Garage List
Hey there! I stumbled upon this thread after struggling to get my newly installed bixenon adpative headlights installed in my pre-lci E91 (coming from halogens).

I bought the set from a forum member and supposedly it's 100% functional. The lowbeam xenons come on, but both lights are aimed fully to the right.

I did a clean NFRM load, after I added the VO for both bixenon + AHL optiuons ($522,$524) and I tried to do the ncs expert reset for the LSMC/RSMC, but got a 'no answer from ecu' error. I haven't seen any note about hooking up the headlights to a CAN signal in the junction box under the glovebox.

Could you shed some light on your method? Thanks!

Quote:
Solved my issue, it was CANBUS wiring related.

Apparently I was very tired when I got to this part of the wiring a few months ago. I did a dumb and pinned the bus wires to the completely wrong pins in the junction box under the glovebox. Spent about 10 minutes tapping the wires to pins 1 and 2 according to the retrofit guide, and it started working immediately.

Thank you Sensible_ for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 04:47 PM   #10
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

so I have 20 tabs open for this issue, and this thread is probably the nearest pointing my issue.

- Car : PRE-LCI with xenon, non adaptive, but I have the 2 level sensor on both front and rear wheels.

- Swapped LCI headlights with working adaptive.

Everything is working ; high beam, turn signal, angel eye. BUT I have a code for adaptive headlight.

- coded $524 in both CAS and NFRM

tried to reset the LSMC, didn't worked, still have the code.

coded : NFRM-Fail-Safe Mode on Stepper Motor Fault to Prevent Blinding Lights: CHECK_SMC_ERROR = nicht_activ (disables AHL error check)

Still have the error.

Did I miss a wire or something ?

Ultimately Id like to have the adaptive function, if not, Ill disable it with :

NFRM-Adaptive Headlights (AHL) Cornering Lights Enabled: ALC_KLS_ENABLE = nicht_activ (disables ALC)
Appreciate 0