E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Does anyone have experience with zeiss drive safe lens?

08-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Does anyone have experience with zeiss drive safe lens?

I've been reading about the new zeiss drive safe lens and also been looking for a pair of sunglasses since I lost mine while snowboarding a couple years ago. I'm constantly in vehicles and going inside and outside at the BMW dealership. I ordered my lens a couple of weeks ago in the ray ban new wayfarer frame, gray transitional lens and the zeiss drive safe lens/coating(pretty penny). I'm curious to see if anyone else currently use these and how you enjoy them. I will update once I receive mine early this week once they are finished at the lab.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
LENELSA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi A6 3.0 /BMW M240i

Anything Zeiss makes is great.
Love their lenses.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuynh336 View Post
I've been reading about the new zeiss drive safe lens and also been looking for a pair of sunglasses since I lost mine while snowboarding a couple years ago. I'm constantly in vehicles and going inside and outside at the BMW dealership. I ordered my lens a couple of weeks ago in the ray ban new wayfarer frame, gray transitional lens and the zeiss drive safe lens/coating(pretty penny). I'm curious to see if anyone else currently use these and how you enjoy them. I will update once I receive mine early this week once they are finished at the lab.
I'm wearing some right now, got them about a month or so ago, tbh I've not been hugely impressed with them. That being said, mine are my day to day glasses so are clear with the coating, I wasn't able to get transitional lenses though.

The two issues I have with them is the coating is impossible to keep clean. I've bought some Zeiss lens wipes because I couldn't get them properly clean, but all they do is smear and leave residue behind. The only thing I've found that works is some water and a microfibre cloth, but then of course you have to be very careful not to get dirt in the cloth otherwise you ruin the lenses. The other issue is how reflective they are/how bright they are. My previous pair was really basic, no coating cheap plastic lenses as my main pair broke and these were my spares. I found going from them to the drivesafe lenses causes my eyes to feel more strained in day to day usage. I don't know if it's because they're *that* much clearer, or if they're reflecting more light into my eyes from behind me, but it's taken a long time for me to get used to it.

A side effect of the coating is the reflections are all purple (and prominent) and this has the knock on effect of tinting everything a little yellow (purple light is reflected).

That all being said, they do seem marginally better at night at reducing glare but I'm not sure it justifies the price tbh.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Daftasabrush. you can't use liquid hand soap and water to clean them then dry with a clean microfiber towel?

Also, had you ever had anti-reflective coating on your eyeglass lenses before?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Daftasabrush. you can't use liquid hand soap and water to clean them then dry with a clean microfiber towel?

Also, had you ever had anti-reflective coating on your eyeglass lenses before?
You can use liquid hand soap and water to clean them, although Zeiss don't recommend soap. The availability of a clean microfibre towel while out and about is the issue. Yes I've had loads of different anti-reflective coatings on my lenses, including Zeiss ones, but these seem to have anti-reflective and oleophobic which actually makes cleaning more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
You can use liquid hand soap and water to clean them, although Zeiss don't recommend soap. The availability of a clean microfibre towel while out and about is the issue. Yes I've had loads of different anti-reflective coatings on my lenses, including Zeiss ones, but these seem to have anti-reflective and oleophobic which actually makes cleaning more difficult.
Thanks for that answer, I imagine id use the hot breath and microfiber technique a lot although I'm hesitant about it now! I'm really intrigued to see how they will do with the transitional lenses. Will definitely post once I get them tomorrow and wear them until Friday
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep

so after having them for a week or so, they are great! I did however reorder my pair in a size 55mm new wayfarer since i got 58mm and its a little too big. The transition lens makes it great when i go outside. I get lots of compliments
Appreciate 0