E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > RIP Harambe the Gorilla

05-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #45
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I don't discriminate with religion, they are all as silly as each other. A grown adult believing in fairytales does my head in. On top of that, if there was a god, "thanking" them is the height of stupidity, why did said god not intervene before the child fell in?

Idiocy.
The belief is that God allows us to go through trials and tribulations so that we can come to see his power and grace. If you don't understand, go look up "The Story of Job".

Just because a religion doesn't fit into your notion of what a God should/shouldn't do doesn't make it's followers idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I'm not trying to get any blows against a religion, just the dumbass mother who is using God as an excuse for being a shitty parent.
This is what I don't understand. I don't see anywhere that this lady said "It's ok that I'm a shitty parent because I believe in God". She thanked him for delivering her from a shitty situation, regardless of how she got into it. Making a point to chastise her for THAT seems petty - there's plenty of other reasonable criticisms that can be leveled at her.
      05-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #46
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Power and grace?

That'll do me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #47
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
the boy told her he was going in the water, so he did and she let it happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #48
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Power and grace?

That'll do me.
You're free to disagree, but please don't go around talking down to people if you can't even be bothered to try to understand where the thought process comes from.
      05-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #49
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
You're free to disagree, but please don't go around talking down to people if you can't even be bothered to try to understand where the thought process comes from.
What thought process? That there is some sky daddy overseeing our every move and randomly intervening in our lives?

Come on man, snap out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #50
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
This is what I don't understand. I don't see anywhere that this lady said "It's ok that I'm a shitty parent because I believe in God". She thanked him for delivering her from a shitty situation, regardless of how she got into it. Making a point to chastise her for THAT seems petty - there's plenty of other reasonable criticisms that can be leveled at her.
Yeah, instead of apologizing for gross neglect that almost got her kid killed, she thanked God. I wouldn't have a problem with her thanking God if she also showed some personal responsibility but she's just another one of those morons we have in society these days where nothing is ever their fault.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:12 AM   #51
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
dont they put the most aggressive animals in cages if the zookeeper has to drop off food or for cleaning?
most animals are aggressive when intruder is in their territory, who doesnt know this?
Are you suggesting she deserved to die?
      05-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #52
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What thought process? That there is some sky daddy overseeing our every move and randomly intervening in our lives?

Come on man, snap out of it.
Any thought process. Your extreme oversimplification of what Christianity (or any religion) is demonstrates it. Let me put it a different way; I'm trying to talk to you about algebra, but you haven't bothered learning what numbers are yet. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just telling you that you should be a little better informed before you talk down to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Yeah, instead of apologizing for gross neglect that almost got her kid killed, she thanked God. I wouldn't have a problem with her thanking God if she also showed some personal responsibility but she's just another one of those morons we have in society these days where nothing is ever their fault.
Dollars to doughnuts that statement went through a legal team before it got released. You think they were going to let her publicly take responsibility before they knew if she was going to be charged with anything?
      05-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #53
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
The belief is that God allows us to go through trials and tribulations so that we can come to see his power and grace. If you don't understand, go look up "The Story of Job".

Just because a religion doesn't fit into your notion of what a God should/shouldn't do doesn't make it's followers idiots.

If your god allows a beautiful innocent animal to be used as a pawn and pointlessly killed so that one person can see his power and grace, then he has some serious issues. No offense, but that's just human narcissism.

My original statement wasn't a jab at religion, it was a jab at the religious.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #54
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
If your god allows a beautiful innocent animal to be used as a pawn and pointlessly killed so that one person can see his power and grace, he can blow me. No offense, but that's just human narcissism.
If you read Job, He's allowed a whole lot more than that.

That's the operative word though "allow". Not "causes", not "creates", not "uses". Allows; its passive. The maliciousness you're suggesting would require deliberate action.
      05-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #55
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Should have just tased him, bro
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #56
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dollars to doughnuts that statement went through a legal team before it got released. You think they were going to let her publicly take responsibility before they knew if she was going to be charged with anything?
lol I highly doubt that, it was something she posted onto her now deleted Facebook account. No one runs something by a lawyer before posting something to their personal Facebook account.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:44 AM   #57
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

In this situation, I would.

Granted, my first move would be to just not say anything at all.
      05-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #58
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

The mother sounded quite calm (AFTER the boy fell in) and handled it well

obviously the gun is the odd man out between the boy, and the gorilla

humans and great apes have evolved to live together for eons..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #59
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Are you suggesting she deserved to die?
no i did not say that. im sure there are protocols to follow.

these are wild animals, what do you expect when you walk into their territory?

Do zookeepers know anything of animal behavior?

She went into tiger enclosure while he was still there, she was attack and in this case she violated zoo policy.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/23/us/flo...olated-policy/

Last edited by nyalpine90; 05-31-2016 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #60
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In this situation, I would.

Granted, my first move would be to just not say anything at all.
Yeah I certainly wouldn't put anything up on Facebook about it.

Not everyone is as smart as you are about stuff like that. Going through my Facebook news feed confirms that.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #61
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
in both case it was human mistake or negligence that lead to dead gorilla n zookeeper.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #62
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
humans and great apes have evolved to live together for eons..
Yup that is why we keep them in cement pits.

We don't live well with them AT ALL: https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...s%20off%20face
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #63
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

All the weaponry that we've created in this world that can level nations and complete cities and we can't make a tranquilizer dart strong enough to take down a gorilla within a few seconds; pretty sad if you ask me. I'm sure a dart directly to the dome of that gorilla would've done the trick. Might have injured him severely but I'm sure he'd get over it.

Either way, pretty neglectful of the kid's parent. RIP to the big gorilla.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #64
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

People need more drama in their lives. I don't mean AMC originals or FB outrage. I mean drama to face and deal with on a daily basis. That way, when one captive zoo gorilla gets put down publicly they don't freak out. Get outraged about something that matters, something that happens regularly. How about getting outraged enough to do something about the 22 US veterans who commit suicide every day in this country? Get outraged about that. Get outraged about human trafficking that occurs in every city of this country, every day.

No, no, you'll wait until a wild animal with a name gets killed and then you all lose your shit and become activists. Just like when Cecil the lion was killed. I bet somewhere there is an over under bet on how long it takes social justice warriors to ruin this lady's life in the same way they screwed up that dentist's life.

Seriously, don't you people have a job to do or a new coversheet for your TPS report to make?

Does it suck that a woman's neglect is largely responsible for the departed gorilla? Yes. Is the child's life more valuable than the gorilla's? Potentially, yes. Maybe he lives to invent child proof zoo enclosures. This way, none of the captive animals in the future will have their miserable lives cut short due to another mother's neglect.

05-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #65
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
All the weaponry that we've created in this world that can level nations and complete cities and we can't make a tranquilizer dart strong enough to take down a gorilla within a few seconds; pretty sad if you ask me. I'm sure a dart directly to the dome of that gorilla would've done the trick. Might have injured him severely but I'm sure he'd get over it.

Either way, pretty neglectful of the kid's parent. RIP to the big gorilla.
It's taken us thousands of years to figure out how to anesthize our own species, and even today we can't tranquilize within a few seconds (without adverse effects of course). And you think we can figure out how to do it for a different species?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #66
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
no i did not say that. im sure there are protocols to follow.

these are wild animals, what do you expect when you walk into their territory?

Do zookeepers know anything of animal behavior?

She went into tiger enclosure while he was still there, she was attack and in this case she violated zoo policy.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/23/us/flo...olated-policy/
If you look back, you'll see I said she did not belong in the area.

But she was there. So either she or the tiger was likely destined to die because a rescue with no harm to person or animal is not really feasible.

They shot the tiger with a tranquilizer and the zookeeper died. The zoo got a lot of shit for the tranquilizer taking so long. Your original post to which I responded said they should have shot the gorilla with a tranquilizer and I was trying to point out that still left a very good chance the kid would be killed. No way was this other zoo going to take a chance and let the gorilla kill the kid.

Quote:
in both case it was human mistake or negligence that lead to dead gorilla n zookeeper.
No disagreement there, but people screw up sometimes in life. People text and drive and kill other people. People make medical mistakes that kill other people. There is no way to completely eliminate tragedy in life and I certainly don't see this situation as worse than one where a person dies due to someone else's negligence.