Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need help wheel decision

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
WNF_335i
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Need help wheel decision

Im planning on getting wheels and tires this spring and been thinking about all the different options i have. Me im more of a performance person rather then a stance but i do want my car sitting right. Im looking for light weight wheel and tires that will hook up nice.

Im in the market for a deep dish or concave wheel(vb3)

i keep reading about 18'' wheel being a better performer then a 19''
"19'' wheels are just for looks"... what are the pros and cons

Also would wider mean better traction? for example would a 18x11 rear
give better traction than a 18x9.5

i want to sit low but still be able to put the power down, as for tires im thinking pilot super sports

all support is apperciated
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
andrew_b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 N54

19s will ride harsher and are more easily damaged when you hit a pothole. Depending on make, they may also be heavier, increasing the unsprung weight in your car (rule of thumb is every pound of unsprung weight is about equal to an extra 10 pounds in the car).

I've been researching wheels for a while, getting ready for a spring tire/wheel upgrade myself. I've decided to go with an Apex wheel, almost certainly the EC-7 in an 18x9 square setup. Apex wheels are very lightweight and strong (they are rotary forged, which is stronger than pressure or gravity cast), and look good. Some nice concave looks in both the Arc-8 and EC-7.

I have yet to hear anything negative about them, and the folks I know with them (some of whom have them on both street and track cars) love them.

Check the sponsor selling forum or their website, they have lots of photos of customer cars with their wheels.

2007 E93 N54
Appreciate 0