E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Overheating - Need Opinions...

10-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
AJMackey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Thumbs down Engine Overheating - Need Opinions...

Any suggestions? My car is overheating. There’s plenty of coolant with no leaks. I bled the system so the water pump is working but my fan only seems to come on when the AC is working. So the fan is working, but is there some sensor somewhere that tells the fan to come on when the engine gets hot? If so, where and what is it? Or can it be something else? Can the thermostat have something to do with this?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

Have you tried pulling codes? That may help.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

maybe just try bleeding the system again with the water pump method. I know some people have said they needed to do it twice to get all the air out of the system.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

How do you know the engine is overheating? Is the oil over-temp? Is the coolant over-temp? Does it overheat idling or do you have to be driving? Or does driving help? Does turn on the A/C help or hurt? The coolant system is self-bleeding so there's no real need to bleed it like most people on this forum seem to obsess over.

Typically the fan works in conjunction with the water pump to only use as much electricity as necessary to keep the coolant at the temperature desired. This is all run by the computer.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
AJMackey
Registered
Rep

When I drive it, I get the yellow temp warning, then it turns red and goes into limp mode. Sometimes it goes a few miles, sometimes it'll go 10 or more so I haven't been using the car. I just replaced the ECT sensor and that didn't seem to help. There's no codes from the auto store reader, so the next step is to take it to a BMW repair shop so they can run their diagnostics. I've bled the system a couple of times just to be sure that wasn't part of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Just because you hear the water pump during the bleed procedure doesn't mean that it's actually working to capacity when it has to get rid of all the heat the engine makes during actual driving.

If your water pump and thermostat have never been replaced I'd bet good money that that's the problem, but like someone before me said, pulling codes would probably give you a definitive answer.

From lurking here, the answer to pretty much 99% of all overheating problem is just replace the water pump and thermostat and all is well again for another 100k miles. BMW water pumps notoriously fail around the 100k mark, its just part of owning the car. Not much else ever goes wrong with the cooling system.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
AJMackey
Registered
Rep

Joester, thanks for the reply and that's most likely the route I'm going as the car has a bit over 100k. The only thing that concerns me is the fan not coming on when the engine heats up. I don't want to replace those items and have it not be the issue. I don't understand why the fan comes right on as soon as I switch on the AC, but if the AC is off, it doesn't come on at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

water pump.. almost 100 %
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMackey View Post
Joester, thanks for the reply and that's most likely the route I'm going as the car has a bit over 100k. The only thing that concerns me is the fan not coming on when the engine heats up. I don't want to replace those items and have it not be the issue. I don't understand why the fan comes right on as soon as I switch on the AC, but if the AC is off, it doesn't come on at all.
It's the water pump.
Unless you have a hose burst, yellow then red, then limp is a water pump.
Mine did that about two months ago. Water pump.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Quote:
The fan comes on when you enable the A/C because without the air flow through the condenser, the refrigerant would not be cooled from its hot state to be able to cool your car. So if your car isnt moving, you pretty much NEED to have a fan blowing air over the condenser in order to get cool air from the A/C. This is actually a great way to test your fans on most cars if you put the A/C on full blast and the fan(s) don't come on, the fan is probably bad.

While I'm not sure if its normal for the fan to not come on when the car is overheating, my guess would be that from an engineering perspective, it shouldnt ever be necessary to cool the car with the radiator fan under normal operation without another failing component being the cause, so why put the feature in there in the first place? If the fan came on to cool an overheating car, it'd just be a band-aid for a different problem, if that makes any sense. You shouldnt really ever need the fan for engine cooling if the car is working right, so why ever have it come on? That's just my guess I dont know for sure if that's the reason. I wouldn't overthink this if I were you, BMW engineers work in mysterious ways.

2008 with a bit over 100k miles is overheating? Pretty much guaranteed to be water pump and thermostat time, without fail. Every time. Dont overthink it.

Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Any suggestions? My car is overheating. There's plenty of coolant with no leaks. I bled the system so the water pump is working but my fan only seems to come on when the AC is working. So the fan is working, but is there some sensor somewhere that tells the fan to come on when the engine gets hot? If so, where and what is it? Or can it be something else? Can the thermostat have something to do with this?
Check to see if you can hear the water pump come on after you do an air purge sequence (84 degrees on level 1 and then hold the gas pedal down about 10-15 sec.). If you can hear the water pump come on, then :

It's the Thermostat most likely.

If your water pump has over 75,000 miles on it, change that "while your in there" or you will be stranded and stuck with a $100.00 towing bill (or more) to your house; not to mention paying overnight shipping for the new water pump.

Also, change the U shaped connecting hose as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

You need to replace your water pump and thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

On mine, the thermostat failed in the shut position and the coolant pump also has a speed deviation fault logged just before it went into limp. Not sure if the thermostat killed my pump but thermostats don't log faults for mechanical failures in the shut position. Activating the bleed mode confirmed a stuck pump due to the sound and lack of flow.

118k km.

When you change the pump, rotate the impeller by finger and you will notice the notchy feel of failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #14
Papibmw328xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 328 XI Sport E90

I've been having the same issue. My car started overheating so I changed the water pump and thermostat, and still the same thing I took it to BMW and they said it was a faulty water pump so I bought another one and this one works, and I have done the bleeding process as well and I still have the same problem. Do you think it could be the radiator? Maybe the Fan? I've also changed a couple sensors on my car as well and checked that the fuse for the pump is good and it is. I need some help please
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #15
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papibmw328xi View Post
I've been having the same issue. My car started overheating so I changed the water pump and thermostat, and still the same thing I took it to BMW and they said it was a faulty water pump so I bought another one and this one works, and I have done the bleeding process as well and I still have the same problem. Do you think it could be the radiator? Maybe the Fan? I've also changed a couple sensors on my car as well and checked that the fuse for the pump is good and it is. I need some help please
Easy way to test for a a clogged radiator is an infrared heat gun.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #16
Papibmw328xi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
Thank you I'll look to see if it is clogged tomorrow! I've been wondering if maybe it's the fan because I only see the fan coming on when the overheating sign comes up on my dash
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #17
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Stop denying the truth...its the water pump for sure...
      10-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #18
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
Thank you I'll look to see if it is clogged tomorrow! I've been wondering if maybe it's the fan because I only see the fan coming on when the overheating sign comes up on my dash
It could also be used to make sure hot coolant is running through the pump....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #19
Papibmw328xi
United_States
Rep

So I have checked my radiator and all seems well. so i still don't know what to do with my car. When i try and bleed the system or at least try to the water pump does not budge. it wont bleed the system at all which leads me to think there may be an air bubble in the system and thats why it's overheating. What else do you think i should do? the new water pump works because when i left the bleeder screw open a whole lot of coolant started shooting all over my engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #20
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
So I have checked my radiator and all seems well. so i still don't know what to do with my car. When i try and bleed the system or at least try to the water pump does not budge. it wont bleed the system at all which leads me to think there may be an air bubble in the system and thats why it's overheating. What else do you think i should do? the new water pump works because when i left the bleeder screw open a whole lot of coolant started shooting all over my engine bay.

Did you replace the thermostat?
      10-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #21
Papibmw328xi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Quote:

Did you replace the thermostat?
Yea I have replaced the thermostat along with the water pump when I changed them out. I even replaced the engine temp sensor and I was also going to replace the coolant temp sensor but I could not find the coolant sensor so I returned it
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #22
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the reservoir is the highest component, so the system will bleed air no mater what as long as the coolant flows.

do you have any diagnostics software?
You've spent a lot of money on parts, but have you actually tried to diagnose the issue before parts shotgunning?
If you know that the pump and thermostat are working and it keeps overheating, I woudl test the coolant for combustion byproducts. You may have a popped head gasket.
Appreciate 0