E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Could you guys help a BMW newbie with a purchase?

09-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Could you guys help a BMW newbie with a purchase?

I live out in Los Angeles, and have went to visit a few dealers looking for a loaded E91 (I want all the goodies - Idrive et al.). Those are so rare out here that I'm definitely going to have to order it. Sedans on every corner - but no wagons.

And, in fact, many dealers out here aren't even all that set up for somebody who wants to purchase outright since they do so much leasing buisness.

I know there is a big price increase on the 2009, and can live with that.

My questions:

1) If I order an E91 from the factory, am I going to get screwed on the deal? Dealers here keep saying that they will only be motivated to discount if the vehicle is on the lot. I sometimes wonder if this purchase is even doable!

2) How does a trade work? I have an Acura TSX with about 80,000 miles on it. It is in great shape, so I have no trouble continuing to drive it while I wait for my new Beemer. But, how do you trade in a car when you won't take delivery of the new vehicle for another month or two?

3) Are there any good threads with FAQs about purchasing a 3-series?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
1) If I order an E91 from the factory, if I going to get screwed on the deal? Dealers here keep saying that they will only be motivated to discount if the vehicle is on the lot.

2) How does a trade work? I have an Acura TSX with about 80,000 miles on it. It is in great shape, so I have no trouble continuing to drive it while I wait for my new Beemer. But, how do you trade in a car when you won't take delivery of the new vehicle for another month or two?

3) Are there any good threads with FAQs about purchasing a 3-series?
1) Lies. Don't believe a word of this. Dealers still get the same bonuses and CA's receive the same commissions regardless of whether your car is custom ordered or taken right off the lot.

2) A trade-in happens the day you pick up the new car and sign all the paperwork. Because of that, dealers will often only give you an estimate of the price for your trade-in. I've seen this affect trucks and SUV's more than cars because prices on those vehicles are falling so rapidly. Just tell the dealer you intend on trading in your car and agree on an estimated value. The final value shouldn't deviate from that too much.

3) Look at the stickies in this board for info. Also, this post has the latest invoice and msrp pricing info. http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/23/20...cing-released/

Good luck!
      09-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
1) Lies. Don't believe a word of this. Dealers still get the same bonuses and CA's receive the same commissions regardless of whether your car is custom ordered or taken right off the lot.

2) A trade-in happens the day you pick up the new car and sign all the paperwork. Because of that, dealers will often only give you an estimate of the price for your trade-in. I've seen this affect trucks and SUV's more than cars because prices on those vehicles are falling so rapidly. Just tell the dealer you intend on trading in your car and agree on an estimated value. The final value shouldn't deviate from that too much.

3) Look at the stickies in this board for info. Also, this post has the latest invoice and msrp pricing info. http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/23/20...cing-released/

Good luck!

Great info. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

It may seem like a bit of a hassle, but selling an Acura with 80k yourself should be simple and net you a grand more than trade-in.

Figure out the invoice price of your car (see stickies here). There are some nice changes to the 2009s, so that is a good way to go. Find a good CA at a good dealer with good service. Offer invoice + 1200 (plus fees and taxes). Stick to it. Offer a grand or more for deposit so they know you are serious.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
It may seem like a bit of a hassle, but selling an Acura with 80k yourself should be simple and net you a grand more than trade-in.

Figure out the invoice price of your car (see stickies here). There are some nice changes to the 2009s, so that is a good way to go. Find a good CA at a good dealer with good service. Offer invoice + 1200 (plus fees and taxes). Stick to it. Offer a grand or more for deposit so they know you are serious.
Selling it yourself is ALWAYS the better way to go as far as money is concerned. The reality, however, is that I simply don't have the time. I'm a professor at a major research university, with three books underway.

I agree with you that the changes to the 2009s look good. That is part of why E90post is such a great resource for Noobs like me. I've been reading here for months, and tracking the developments in Idrive, etc. You guys rock as far as being a great source of inside scoop!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

At 80K miles no matter how good of a condition its in they are going to give you wholesale value on the Acura. It might make more sense for you to just keep it as a beater. If not, I second the sell it yourself idea since you will get a lot more than what the dealer offers you.

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkishexpress View Post
At 80K miles no matter how good of a condition its in they are going to give you wholesale value on the Acura. It might make more sense for you to just keep it as a beater. If not, I second the sell it yourself idea since you will get a lot more than what the dealer offers you.
To some extent, it depends on the $ that are involved. If it cost me $1000 to trade it in, I could live with that. $1000 is not worth much of my time. But, if the dealer is going to buy it wholesale and then dump it an an auction, the price difference could be a lot greater than that.

I ran it through KBB. the difference between wholesale and retail is about $2000.

Keeping it doens't really work simply because I don't have room for two vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Looks like you've got a good grasp of the trade-offs between trading in your Acura to the dealer vs. selling it by yourself. Either way you slice it, the important thing to keep in mind is that, at the end of the process, you'll be sitting in a brand new convertible bimmer. If that doesn't bring a smile to your face, call an ambulance because I think you're missing a pulse.
      09-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm a professor at a major research university, with three books underway.
Would that be UCLA? If so, that's my alma mater. If it's USC, then I'm afraid that we can't talk any more. (kidding )
      09-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Would that be UCLA? If so, that's my alma mater. If it's USC, then I'm afraid that we can't talk any more. (kidding )

Sorry, it is your enemy. I'm faculty at USC, although I have many collaborative relationships in the UC system.

P.S. I'm looking for a 3-series wagon not a convertible. I'm a cyclist, so I need something that hauls around bikes and sporting equipment.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, it is your enemy. I'm faculty at USC, although I have many collaborative relationships in the UC system.

P.S. I'm looking for a 3-series wagon not a convertible. I'm a cyclist, so I need something that hauls around bikes and sporting equipment.
Hahahah, all good. Sorry, I mis-typed earlier. Forgot you're looking for an e91 and not e93.
      09-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Phillipe Kahn at Southbay BMW will help. Great CA.

I would avoid a BMW 3 Series Wagon. Try a X3 (modest) or the new hi performance X6 (Pricey). Even gasp an Infinity FX35/FX45.

Fight On Yada Yada Yada...

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post

I would avoid a BMW 3 Series Wagon. Try a X3 (modest) or the new hi performance X6 (Pricey). Even gasp an Infinity FX35/FX45.

Cheers,
Eh? Why would you avoid an e91? Care to elaborate?
      09-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #14
manofb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Selling it yourself is ALWAYS the better way to go as far as money is concerned. The reality, however, is that I simply don't have the time. I'm a professor at a major research university, with three books underway.
I thought the same thing about a month ago.

I work 60+ hours a week, and didn't have any knowledge about selling a car through a private party. I literally on a whim, threw an ad up on Craigslist at about 10 PM on a Friday night and I had it sold for almost 3k more than any dealer was offering by Monday. Super easy. Granted it was a low mileage Accord in mint condition but it was so much easier than I imagined. Don't let the dealer rob you on a trade.

Also, I bought my e90 thru New Century in Alhambra. Henry Suh was my CA..I can't recommend him enough.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #15
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post

Cheers,

I'm not a SUV man, don't need 4-wheel drive, and think that the X6 and FX35are both kind of ridiculous.

I kind of like the X3, but it is lightyears behind the 3-series in terms of cabin electronics. Also does not handle as well, ride as well, or get as good MPG.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 09-04-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Telling someone they need an SUV when they're looking at purchasing a wagon is idiotic.
      09-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #17
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Telling someone they need an SUV when they're looking at purchasing a wagon is idiotic.
Well, everybody has different values and needs as far as vehicles are concerned. But, personally, I just don't get the whole SUV thing. I love to drive, and insist on fun cars that handle well. Why would I sacrifice handling, ride comfort, and fuel economy to get a top heavy vehicle with compromised dynamics? And, what possible reason would somebody who lives in LA have to consider any vehicle with AWD?

And, I have to say, that if were to get a SUV it sure has heck would not be a X6 or FX35. Not an SUV fan, but an SUV that is more about styling than utility would make even less sense ot me.

I'm somebody who has an active lifestyle too. I do a lot of car camping, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc. But, I've never come across a single situation that made me wish for an SUV.

In fact, one reason why I am going with a 3-series instead of a G35 is because of the availability of a wagon.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

I doubt this will sway you, but you still might consider a e90. There are little flip up doors on the roof that a rack will screw into. That way you can put a rack on top and not worry about it messing up your paint and leaks where it clips to the doors etc. Good for kayak carriers, bike rack and cargo carriers (yuppie coffins). You can also get the N54 if you go for an e90 :-).

I'm guessing you'll still want the e91 for the extra cargo room for the camping/climbing gear etc, but figured I'd point out the 'rackability' of all BMW's just in case you hadn't noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooreski View Post
I doubt this will sway you, but you still might consider a e90. There are little flip up doors on the roof that a rack will screw into. That way you can put a rack on top and not worry about it messing up your paint and leaks where it clips to the doors etc. Good for kayak carriers, bike rack and cargo carriers (yuppie coffins). You can also get the N54 if you go for an e90 :-).

I'm guessing you'll still want the e91 for the extra cargo room for the camping/climbing gear etc, but figured I'd point out the 'rackability' of all BMW's just in case you hadn't noticed it.

I had considered that, but appreciate you pointing it out nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #20
will@longbeachbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

I'd be more than happy to assist you. I am good for 5-7 E90post deals per month =)

Give me a ring at the number below

Will
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:

Good luck!
x2

I just wanted to add a few more things.

1. Most salesmen are LIARS, unfortunately there are more bad ones than good ones.

*Since you're purchasing it, and ordering to spec, you should think about European Delivery. Here's a great rundown on "ED": http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...opean_Delivery I always recommend this since I recently did it this past June. (Saved a bunch of money, and had a great trip.) ED turn around time from order to delivery is about 3 months, so it'd only be 1 month longer than custom ordering it.

ALSO... with ordering a car to spec, or even ED, the car is not part of the dealer's allocation, so they should be giving it to you for the lowest price possible. (So if any of them give you a hard time, they're lying.)

. Yeah, the trade in won't happen until you're ready to pick up your new car. So in the mean time, you may be better off with the car on Autotrader, or with a for sale sticker in the window. Chances are that you may be better off trading it in since you'll save on taxes, but since you'll be waiting, don't commit to anything.

. Price out the car's INVOICE PRICE with all the options using one of the links, or threads listing the new 09' prices. Start from invoice and work your way up... ideally you should pay around $500-$1,000 above invoice. I would not go any higher than that. The dealers will still make money even if they sold you the car at invoice, so do not piss money away on these people.

*Also... European Delivery is awesome. (I can't help it, I got a good deal, and had a great trip, so I'm just recommending it to anyone and everyone, b/c it's just a WIN/WIN deal.)
      09-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

This is all fab info.

The only issue stopping me now is that I'd like to see the 2009s on dealer lots before I pull the trigger.

Would be nice to play with the new Idrive before I actually spend $2000 on it.
Appreciate 0