E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 Power Mods – Manifold, Headers & Tunes

09-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #67
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapsona View Post
I will check that tune, thanks for the suggestion.

I spend many hours finding LSD Diff but without luck yet, so that's why I didn't mentioned this option in future upgrades.

But it will be in my wish list for future after those modes done.

I will provide DYNO asap
Genuine question... Is an LSD worth it for this kind of power on the street? Or do you track your car? I'll be replacing my diff soon and it's something I have considered but the only real time that I properly lose the back end is in the rain... And that's the most fun part. Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:14 AM   #68
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

A BMW without a real LSD is basically a eunuch. You can foreplay all you want, but you can never hit a home run.

That said, an E90 is also like a sea manatee. 3500lbs of blubber, minimum. You can put as much lipstick on it as you like, but it's still a fat pig.

Probably, unless you can consistently out drive the stock drivetrain, with DSC off - a true LSD is probably not worth the cost.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      09-23-2020, 03:27 AM   #69
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4foothill View Post
Genuine question... Is an LSD worth it for this kind of power on the street? Or do you track your car? I'll be replacing my diff soon and it's something I have considered but the only real time that I properly lose the back end is in the rain... And that's the most fun part. Maybe I just don't drive it hard enough

In my opinion, yes it’s worth it for him. The LSD allows you to dance with the car a little more. I think anyone who is going to mod the car as much as Kapsona is someone who really cares about performance (evidenced by him doing all those mods and getting it dyno’ed). So yes, he would realize the benefits of the lsd because he obviously cares about top performance.

For the guy using a stock car just for commuting and isn’t in it for the joy of driving, like some who doesn’t think it’s worth dropping $300 for a 3 stage manifold swap, well for a guy like that obviously LSD is a waste.

LSD does make a felt difference on the street vs the stock e-diff. I have not tracked my car once since I installed my lsd and I am very glad I installed one.

Having or wanting a LSD is more about the driver than the car, IMO. There are plenty of cars that would underperform a stock E90 that came with lsd because they are designed for spirited driving, and not track cars either btw. (Miatas, BRZ/FRS, 80’s mustang GT, many generations of Honda civics, etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #70
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Appreciate the responses. I was considering a plate LSD kit from RacingDiffs (since it's pretty cheap) but after some more research it sounds like it's pretty unpractical on a daily. Maybe I'll add a torsen LSD kit to the "If nothing expensive breaks in the next year" mod list.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #71
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Is a LSD really that important if you already have a diff swap and don't have issues putting down power on the track? I didn't go the full LSD route when I swapped my rear diff and now that I have about 15 track days under my belt, putting power to the ground isn't an issue with the right tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #72
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Is a LSD really that important if you already have a diff swap and don't have issues putting down power on the track? I didn't go the full LSD route when I swapped my rear diff and now that I have about 15 track days under my belt, putting power to the ground isn't an issue with the right tires.
If you are getting serious about track days and want to up your game then it may be. There’s a reason the M cars don’t use the e diff software and have true LSD’s.

You should ask some guys at the next track event or better yet see if you can drive some laps in E9X with one installed. Only you can decide if it’s worth it to you, but if you want to be at the top level you can be on track days and are willing to spend money to be competitive then it’s definitely worthwhile.

I had my used 3.91 differential orders off eBay shipped directly to M Factory. They rebuilt the diff and installed a Torsen LSD then shipped it to me. The total cost including diff and all shipping was less than $2k. I have no regrets but I’m going to be keeping my car a long time so I felt it was worthwhile.

Last edited by Biginboca; 09-23-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #73
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
If you are getting serious about track days and want to up your game then it may be. There’s a reason the M cars don’t use the e diff software and have true LSD’s.

You should ask some guys at the next track event or better yet see if you can drive some laps in E9X with one installed. Only you can decide if it’s worth it to you, but if you want to be at the top level you can be on track days and are willing to spend money to be competitive then it’s definitely worthwhile.

I had my used 3.91 differential orders off eBay shipped directly to M Factory. They rebuilt the diff and installed a Torsen LSD then shipped it to me. The total cost including diff and all shipping was less than $2k. I have no regrets but I’m going to be keeping my car a long time so I felt it was worthwhile.
I'm not sure whether to do a helical or a torsen lsd, which one would do better for the street?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #74
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200,000 club View Post
I'm not sure whether to do a helical or a torsen lsd, which one would do better for the street?
Torsen and Helical are the same. And this is probably the best type for a daily driver. They are maintenance free and durable, this is why most often you see Torsen/Helical in production cars. The only time they don’t function well is if you lift one tire in the air, which hopefully you are not doing in your daily lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 01:39 AM   #75
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Torsen and Helical are the same. And this is probably the best type for a daily driver. They are maintenance free and durable, this is why most often you see Torsen/Helical in production cars. The only time they don’t function well is if you lift one tire in the air, which hopefully you are not doing in your daily lol
Cant say it hasn't happened, some roundabouts are just too tempting lmao. But yea, from my experience plus many people I've talked to say the best mods for most cars is gonna be an lsd, a cdv delete if the car has one, replace shocks and struts/lowering the car. People focus on power too much, I'd rather have a fun car than a fast car
Appreciate 0