E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sub speaker static noise assistance

01-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Sub speaker static noise assistance

Car details: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe with Hifi sound system. The amp is black.

Hoping to get some help with an audio issue I've been having. My amp got very wet a couple weeks ago when I was pressure washing the back of the car, caused all my speakers to static and shorted out front right door speaker. I replaced the door speaker and amp, all speakers were functioning fine now after amp replacement except for my passenger side sub speaker underneath the seat, had static noise. Figured it got shorted out when amp blew so I replaced it, still the static noise stayed. Went back to my parts place here in San Diego, we swapped 2 other sub speakers in there, still same noise. Changed amp with 2 different amps they had in stock, still same noise. Tried 2 different CIC head units, still same static noise. So I'm stumped now, I assume the only other thing that's causing this is the actual plastic male plug that goes into the actual amp is bad, it was very wet when I found the amp was in water. Anyone else have any recommendations before I cut that plug off and rewire a replacement one.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:06 AM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:17 AM   #3
Finngo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Up
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:29 AM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Tried spraying all the plugs which may have got wet with a water dispersant/penetrant (WD40, etc)? Or even just unplug everything and leave it open for a couple of days to air out
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Tried spraying all the plugs which may have got wet with a water dispersant/penetrant (WD40, etc)? Or even just unplug everything and leave it open for a couple of days to air out
Had it unplugged for a week before I started diagnosing again. Used some electric parts cleaning meant for corrosion but didn't do anything. I'm wondering if there's a way to get the black connector open to clean the inside of it, figure that'd be easier than replacing it right away
Appreciate 0