E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Weird Vanos/ Camshaft position sensor issue?

09-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
king0117
Rep
Drives: e90 and e36

Weird Vanos/ Camshaft position sensor issue?

Hi All, I've been dealing with this odd issue on the 2011 328 now as 162k. Recently my car started shaking at idle during first start up. The idle seemed to fluctuate a bit, enough to make the car shake for about 30 seconds and then normalizes. Initially, there was no engine light so I didnt think much of it. Then the engine light did come on and the code was for the exhaust vanos (specifically 002a87 outlet vanos). I had someone suggest that the solenoids would be the best place to start so I replaced both and cleared the codes. I drove around and it was fine for about 200kms and then the light came back on and the scanner showed the same code(carly scanner). It doesnt shake any more but after about 20 seconds of starting the car, the idle will go up for a few seconds to about 12-1300 rpm and then just go back to normal. If I delete the code, it'll come back after starting the car and the rpm jump like I mentioned to 12-1300rpm but it runs and drives fine. There doesn't seem to be any power loss and the car drives fine otherwise. I then used the protool app to scan and it shows a different code (P052B - cold start "A camshaft position timing over-retarded") which I think could be the sensor but I'm not sure since carly still shows the vanos code. I'm not sure what it could be but please let me know if you've experienced the issue or if you have any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Eccentric shaft sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
king0117
Rep

Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
Eccentric shaft sensor.
Hi, thanks for your response. Any idea how I can test it or if you can explain how you came to the conclusion that its that part?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
king0117
Rep

issue

Anyone got any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 01:55 AM   #5
ccyccm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i M-Sport 6MT

Check your oil filter cap for proper installation on both o-rings, and that the cage is present and attached. Also make sure you have an OEM filter.

When were your solenoids last replaced? If there’s no record, now is a good time. Get them from FCP Euro.

I had a 2A7C/ P052B and after the above troubleshooting, I took it to the dealer with the suspicion the VANOS bolts backed out, and they had. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
First thing to do is like said above, take off the oil filter cap and check that it has the basket that holds the oil filter in place and that the o rings are there too as this seals a drain to the oil pan and will lead to a loss of pressure which isn't enough to properly actuate the vanos. Next thing is of course the solenoids which you said you have replaced, which brand did you use? After that if the problem persists you want to go to the side of the engine and take out the check valves and clean them. Often times if these go bad and don't move freely back and forth they will allow oil to leak out of the vanos system when the engine is stopped, leading to it not having enough oil to actuate on cold starts and cause this kind of issues.

Being a 2011 if none of this works you might indeed have a vanos bolt issue since there is a recall for these cars I believe from 2010-2013 because of this problem.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:24 AM   #7
king0117
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyccm View Post
Check your oil filter cap for proper installation on both o-rings, and that the cage is present and attached. Also make sure you have an OEM filter.

When were your solenoids last replaced? If there’s no record, now is a good time. Get them from FCP Euro.

I had a 2A7C/ P052B and after the above troubleshooting, I took it to the dealer with the suspicion the VANOS bolts backed out, and they had. Keep us updated!
Thanks for your response. I just had the solenoids replaced a couple weeks back and the issue still persists. I'll check the oil filter cap and confirm. Thanks for responding, I'm praying is not the vanos bolts because thats a much bigger issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
ccyccm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by king0117 View Post
Thanks for your response. I just had the solenoids replaced a couple weeks back and the issue still persists. I'll check the oil filter cap and confirm. Thanks for responding, I'm praying is not the vanos bolts because thats a much bigger issue.
It’s my pleasure. Hopefully it is not the bolts. However, check your car’s original in service date. There is a warranty for VANOS bolts, 10 years from that day.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #9
king0117
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
First thing to do is like said above, take off the oil filter cap and check that it has the basket that holds the oil filter in place and that the o rings are there too as this seals a drain to the oil pan and will lead to a loss of pressure which isn't enough to properly actuate the vanos. Next thing is of course the solenoids which you said you have replaced, which brand did you use? After that if the problem persists you want to go to the side of the engine and take out the check valves and clean them. Often times if these go bad and don't move freely back and forth they will allow oil to leak out of the vanos system when the engine is stopped, leading to it not having enough oil to actuate on cold starts and cause this kind of issues.

Being a 2011 if none of this works you might indeed have a vanos bolt issue since there is a recall for these cars I believe from 2010-2013 because of this problem.

Thanks for responding. I used oem solenoids. I took out and inspected the check valves. They were pretty clean but I gave them a good cleansing and put them back however the same issue occurs. I'll check the oil filter cap tomorrow night and make sure the basket is there. I did confirm it was there last time but I'll double check the seals as you said. Thanks and I'll respond as soon as I can. If the bolts are in fact the issue, I'll have to likely take it in to the dealer to get them to perform the recall correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:54 AM   #10
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure you'll have to go to the dealer for it, there's some cases if you get it done at an Indy you can file a claim with BMW NA for them to cover the costs but just go with the dealer. I believe they won't perform the recall on it unless they do x amount of testing, I remember reading they check for if the bolts are all there or any are in the oil pan but unless they take off the valve cover or put a borescope through there I don't know how they'd check.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #11
ccyccm
Private
Rep

Here's some insight on the testing from my dealership paperwork:

"Connected vehicle to battery charger
Performed vehicle test. Found VANOS inlet fault
Performed VANOS test plan, inconclusive results
SIB 01 10 14
Removed valve cover and inspected VANOS adjustment units, found bolts on both units have sheared off heads of bolt
Replaced both VANOS adjustment units and all of the one time use fasteners and seals
Removed oil pan to retrieve debris rom sheared bolts. Replaced oil pan gasket and fasteners
Cleaned engine and test drove vehicle to verify fix"

Awesome documentation from the tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #12
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:

SIB 01 10 14
Removed valve cover and inspected VANOS adjustment units, found bolts on both units have sheared off heads of bolt
Replaced both VANOS adjustment units and all of the one time use fasteners and seals
Removed oil pan to retrieve debris rom sheared bolts. Replaced oil pan gasket and fasteners

Free valve cover and oil pan gaskets from a couple bolts shearing off. Bmw sure does like to get themselves deep in shit that shouldn't happen at all. Though I wouldn't mind now being able to pull that recall off on my car and get an oil pan gasket too.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:44 PM   #13
ccyccm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
Free valve cover and oil pan gaskets from a couple bolts shearing off. Bmw sure does like to get themselves deep in shit that shouldn't happen at all. Though I wouldn't mind now being able to pull that recall off on my car and get an oil pan gasket too.
I was NOT upset when I learned the bolts had sheared and that meant all the gaskets had been done.
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      09-17-2020, 12:08 AM   #14
king0117
Rep

Quote:

SIB 01 10 14

That is amazing documentation lol. Thanks for the heads up. I've scheduled a check with BMW. Only thing I'm wondering is wouldn't the car run a lot worse if the bolt heads did break?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #15
ccyccm
Private
Rep

I barely noticed a difference in feeling after the work was done. Guess the sensors can detect the slightest change
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:53 PM   #16
king0117
Rep

lost

Sorry for the late response. I checked the oil filter housing and everything looked normal. I then had my mechanic scan it and he couldn't find anything wrong. His buddy who works at BMW found that the camshaft position sensor was throwing errors so we replaced that. Now the car is getting worse. It'll run fine for 30 minutes and then all of a sudden a loud leak sound would start and the idle would bounce a lot and it'll throw a CEL. If I accelerate hard enough, the noise would go away so I suspect my PCV valve is gone but I'm not sure. Its at the shop and they checked the vanos bolts with a camera and found that they were fine. Mines are covered at least until next year june so I want them to warranty it but they keep insisting that they're not broken. I'm not sure if they backed out though. Lost right now

Quote:
I barely noticed a difference in feeling after the work was done. Guess the sensors can detect the slightest change
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #17
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
When it makes that "leak" sound, what happens if you try to open the oil fill cap? If the pcv is bad it'll be super hard to open.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 11:42 AM   #18
gica
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

I have the same persistent problem P052B that will not go away no matter what I do.No broken bolts. Nee solenoids, the head was redone and tye cam seals a re new no damage to the end bearing caps. Did you wver solve this problem. Can you share how?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 11:31 AM   #19
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

It’s a bad ground. Check the ground wire for the vanos/camshaft sensor wiring harness.
Appreciate 0