E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMS Oil Catch Can Installation Fitment

09-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 N55

BMS Oil Catch Can Installation Fitment

I got my BMS Oil Catch Can installed recently, and the fitment of the engine cover won't fit how it used to. This is because of the thick tubes from the catch can.

Has anyone else that's installed the BMS OCC running into this problem as well? I thought about trimming the side of the engine cover to give more space for the tubes to clear, but wanted to check in here to see if anyone else had any tips or feedback on their installation.

In this picture you can see the left side of the oil-fill cap is rubbing against the plastic

In this picture you can see that the tubes are pushing up against the side of the engine cover plastic causing it to not fit correctly

This is how it was installed

This is how my engine looked without the BMS OCC installed. You can see that the oil-fill cap is a lot more noticeable

Last edited by DYOOS; 09-12-2018 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
dpark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

Trimming is the only way if you want it to sit flush
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

You need to increase the size of the hole in side of the the engine cover with either a dremel or grinding attachment on a drill.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpark View Post
Trimming is the only way if you want it to sit flush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
You need to increase the size of the hole in side of the the engine cover with either a dremel or grinding attachment on a drill.
Which part do you guys recommend trimming, the section where the tubes pass or the circular section for the oil-fill cap?

I was thinking it'd be easier to trim the section where the tubes pass and make it wider. This way the tubes don't push the engine cover out of place.
      09-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYOOS View Post
Which part do you guys recommend trimming, the section where the tubes pass or the circular section for the oil-fill cap?

I was thinking it'd be easier to trim the section where the tubes pass and make it wider. This way the tubes don't push the engine cover out of place.
Definitely where the tubes pass. If facing the engine, I trimmed the section closest to the front, and around the top right "corner" of the hole. You won't even notice it once you're done.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 09-13-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
DYOOS88.00
      09-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

I am sorry if I hijacked OP thread. Just have a question. If I going to install sing turbo in my N55 where would OCC be relocated to?
      09-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #7
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely where the tubes pass. If facing the engine, I trimmed the section closest to the front, and around the top right "corner" of the hole. You won't even notice it once you're done.
That's the route I was thinking. Now need to go buy a dremel. This is going to be fun
      09-25-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got a sweet dremel and cut about 1/2 inch from the top to the right side to give the tubes more clearance. You can cut about a centimeter or so more and the oil cap will fit better, but I'm happy with the fitment for now. Doesn't bother me nearly as much anymore. I may trim off more if I'm really ...really bored one day.

11-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Hey WTTNBA...(another E90 member whose posts FORCED me to go FBO against my will) great advice as usual.
After speaking with two forum vendor/sponsors regarding the difference between Mishimoto vs BMS catch can for my N55, the sponsors suggested BMS due to the ease of installation.
I installed the BMS catch can on a Sunday morning and was completely pizzed off that the damn engine cover wouldn't fit.
After reading your contribution to this thread, I regained my composure an trimmed the cover accordingly.
Thanks again for the guidance!
Appreciate 0