E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > M3 style bumper help

10-23-2020, 04:01 AM   #1
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

M3 style bumper help

M3 style bumper ducting. I bought the M3 style front bumper from Eurodivision. It came with fog lights which meant removing all the transmission cooler and brake ducting. I just purchased some ducks from Eurodivision and I cannot see how the transmission cooler duct is going fit. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

A few more inages
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
I think they need to be trimmed Aussie
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...&highlight=DIY
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Socket. As always. Thank you. Do mine look like the same ones that come with the replica bumper? What do you suppose the cutout in the driver side one is supposed to do? I cannot fathom how any amount of trimming of the original cooler duct would marry up to that cutout.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Socket. As always. Thank you. Do mine look like the same ones that come with the replica bumper? What do you suppose the cutout in the driver side one is supposed to do? I cannot fathom how any amount of trimming of the original cooler duct would marry up to that cutout.
Yes they look the same as they ones I got with my bumper. You are not crazy, they simply don't match up with anything behind the bumper. Nor do they fit the vent properly. Is why I chucked em and installed the M3 (OEM) vents. They require trimming etc but fit properly and provide airflow to the oil cooler behind the bumper. They are pretty exy tho. I think the part numbers for the left and right M3 vents is in the DIY above

Pics below are

1 - M3 OEM ducts
2 -5 M3 OEM ducts vs M3 rep ducts supplied with bumper
6 - M3 rep ducts supplied with bumper, showing how they dont fit properly
7 - 8 M3 OEM vent on drivers side, showing fitment and how it directs air flow to oil cooler
9 - M3 OEM vent on passenger side, showing fitment
10 - M3 OEM vents both sides

Last edited by Socket; 10-25-2020 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:25 AM   #8
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Euro division assured me that they would fit. I specifically asked about the cooler duct. I am disappointed. I try to support local guys but if there is no value add, why bother?
If I were to be completely truthful about the whole upgrade, I would have to say that not much has really fitted well.
. The cf boot has a bow in it to where it is about 10 cm higher than the body panel behind the rear window, halfway along it's length. I have tried to bend it but cf doesn't respond too well to bending. Ended up shimming the hinges to "pull" the bow flat. Lots of strain on hinges.
. The side skirts are about 5mm too short. Have 3D printed some plates to hide the gap.
.The side skirts are too narrow at the rear. I have had to trim chassis to get them to fit and there is still too much strain on clips. They will need to be glued in.
.steel M3 replica bonnet is very thin gauge metal. I managed to crease it just trying to get the curve to follow the fender line.
.rear M bumper was a good fit but shipped without the tow lug cover.
.M3 bumper seems OK but I can see I am going to have to move my headlights or trim the headlight opening.
.the vents are crap. I see now how they don't even follow the curve of the bumper. What amazes me is that whomever went to the trouble to design and manufacture them, could have easily got it right.
. i am beginning to wonder if the cutout for the cooler is a random hole to con people into believing it will mesh with the existing cooler duct.

On a positive note. I am truly impressed with the engineering and attention to detail in every little component of the BMW. I suppose the bottom line is that there are no free lunches and one gets what one pays for
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:17 AM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Euro division assured me that they would fit. I specifically asked about the cooler duct. I am disappointed. I try to support local guys but if there is no value add, why bother?
If I were to be completely truthful about the whole upgrade, I would have to say that not much has really fitted well.
. The cf boot has a bow in it to where it is about 10 cm higher than the body panel behind the rear window, halfway along it's length. I have tried to bend it but cf doesn't respond too well to bending. Ended up shimming the hinges to "pull" the bow flat. Lots of strain on hinges.
. The side skirts are about 5mm too short. Have 3D printed some plates to hide the gap.
.The side skirts are too narrow at the rear. I have had to trim chassis to get them to fit and there is still too much strain on clips. They will need to be glued in.
.steel M3 replica bonnet is very thin gauge metal. I managed to crease it just trying to get the curve to follow the fender line.
.rear M bumper was a good fit but shipped without the tow lug cover.
.M3 bumper seems OK but I can see I am going to have to move my headlights or trim the headlight opening.
.the vents are crap. I see now how they don't even follow the curve of the bumper. What amazes me is that whomever went to the trouble to design and manufacture them, could have easily got it right.
. i am beginning to wonder if the cutout for the cooler is a random hole to con people into believing it will mesh with the existing cooler duct.

On a positive note. I am truly impressed with the engineering and attention to detail in every little component of the BMW. I suppose the bottom line is that there are no free lunches and one gets what one pays for
Sorry to hear mate. I generally find aftermarket parts need some adapting to fit properly. CF diffusers are especially problematic
Appreciate 0