E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Upper Rad Hose replacement

04-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Upper Rad Hose replacement

I have some coolant sweating from the upper radiator hose.

Sweating location:
Name:  938204_x800.jpg
Views: 9107
Size:  10.2 KB

Hose is ordered and will be replaced before this develops into a leak, however I do have a question.

I am not planning on draining coolant, so with that said I want to remove this hose with minimal coolant loss and minimal mess.

Has anyone done this that can tell me how much coolant is sitting in that hose when engine is cold, and if there is a way of doing this with minimal spillage?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
HugoCountsto7
Private
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
I have some coolant sweating from the upper radiator hose.

Sweating location:
Attachment 1601808

Hose is ordered and will be replaced before this develops into a leak, however I do have a question.

I am not planning on draining coolant, so with that said I want to remove this hose with minimal coolant loss and minimal mess.

Has anyone done this that can tell me how much coolant is sitting in that hose when engine is cold, and if there is a way of doing this with minimal spillage?

Thanks.
If this is the main hose after the thermostat, you can be certain a lot of fluid will be lost. The main hose after the thermostat is usually what one would remove to simply drain the top half of the coolant system before a thermostat swap. I don't have a firm figure for you, but when I pulled mine to change my main thermostat probably 1.0 to 2.0 liters of fluid came out. I placed a garbage bag against the engine block and made a kind of trough to catch run off. I used a wide funnel with a long hose. The hose went down below the car to a drain pan. I removed the top hose connection first (at the thermostat) and caught everything in the thermostat and above. Then I folded the hose down slowly until I dumped most of the hose. I never removed the bottom of the hose from the radiator, so when you do this you'll need to catch what has been left at the very bottom section of the hose, where it connects to the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Update:

Replaced this hose over the weekend.

To answer my own question, you can expect about 1 liter of coolant to be lost during this process.

What I did:

Goes without saying this should only be done with cold engine.

1. Removed expansion tank hose from the rad hose nipple.
- Use a pick tool to separate the hose from nipple and avoid breakage.
2. Placed a coffee cup beside the nipple and keep squeezing the upper rad hose. Coolant will fountain right into the cup.
3. I gave up on squeezing the hose and it seems endless and just removed the connection and the radiator first.
- If you are patient you can potentially squeeze out all excess coolant and avoid spillage.
4. This is where majority of coolant will come out off.
5. There was no coolant coming out of the Oil Filter Housing, however I did cover the alternator with a bag just in case.
6. Coolant hose that attaches from the bottom to the upper rad hose will be full of coolant so expect some spillage when disconnecting it.

Over all straight forward process. Pull the clips, remove hose, replace hose, push clips, top up coolant. Done.

Cheers guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i N54 E93

Upper Radiator Hose Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Update:

Replaced this hose over the weekend.

To answer my own question, you can expect about 1 liter of coolant to be lost during this process.

What I did:

Goes without saying this should only be done with cold engine.

1. Removed expansion tank hose from the rad hose nipple.
- Use a pick tool to separate the hose from nipple and avoid breakage.
2. Placed a coffee cup beside the nipple and keep squeezing the upper rad hose. Coolant will fountain right into the cup.
3. I gave up on squeezing the hose and it seems endless and just removed the connection and the radiator first.
- If you are patient you can potentially squeeze out all excess coolant and avoid spillage.
4. This is where majority of coolant will come out off.
5. There was no coolant coming out of the Oil Filter Housing, however I did cover the alternator with a bag just in case.
6. Coolant hose that attaches from the bottom to the upper rad hose will be full of coolant so expect some spillage when disconnecting it.

Over all straight forward process. Pull the clips, remove hose, replace hose, push clips, top up coolant. Done.

Cheers guys.

Thanks I have to do the same thing; experiencing the exact same "sweating"
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      11-16-2023, 07:44 AM   #5
carlosch
Rep
Drives: BMW

Upper Rad Hose replacement

what brand of hose you had and what brand did you use to replace with?

I had 2 rein with the same issue and would like to know if this is only a brand related issue or it also affects oem ones
Appreciate 0