E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Battery or Alternator problem cant pinpoint

08-30-2023, 01:41 PM   #1
hanly2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 328xi

Battery or Alternator problem cant pinpoint

Need some help here before I waste more money. My daughter was having trouble starting her car, she was able to jump it and drive it home. I tested with a voltmeter and obd scan tool too see if the ALT was working. I am only getting 12.8v at the battery with the car idling. But I also disconnected the negative cable and left the car running. I then turned the a/c all the way up and read the scan tool, the voltage fluctuates, when I took it up to 2000rpm I was getting 14.7v. That seems to tell me that the alternator is working. I have already replaced the voltage regulator and took the alternator to a elec shop and he said it looked good. Advance also tested the battery and said it was good. (its 1 year old) So why does the battery keep draining randomly? 2007 328xi
Appreciate 0