E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

10-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #2179
imoksoami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
BAN

Seriously, STFU. All you do is whine each day that this thread is going nowhere. It's been SIX DAMN MONTHS and it's going to be MONTHS MORE before we can even hope for a fix. Do us all a favor and just stop looking at this thread, and then you won't have to be so friggin concerned that it's not going anywhere.

Don't feed the troll. Doing so will ony degrade this important thread.
Cheers
      10-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #2180
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
BAN

Seriously, STFU. All you do is whine each day that this thread is going nowhere. It's been SIX DAMN MONTHS and it's going to be MONTHS MORE before we can even hope for a fix. Do us all a favor and just stop looking at this thread, and then you won't have to be so friggin concerned that it's not going anywhere.
lets not quote that guy, i've put him on my ignore list since his first few posts here so i don't see his posts. but when you guys quote him i see them.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #2181
Canadian-eh
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Just noticed this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176964

Interesting?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #2182
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-eh View Post
Very. I wonder how an 08 car with v29.2 would measure, probably quite different to v27.
      10-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #2183
Canadian-eh
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Very. I wonder how an 08 car with v29.2 would measure, probably quite different to v27.
I was thinking specifically of post #24 & the suggested N54 wastegate problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #2184
paltomare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Well my car is going back in today for the third time since leasing it a couple of months ago. It will get v.31.#, although I'm not expecting a lag fix I'm hoping it fixes these other issues that I wonder were brought on by v.30.0.2.

Here's my list for my SA.

1. Sirius radio freezes on occasion requiring me to select another audio source before allowing me to listen to Sirius again. This is not the same behavior as when I lose the Sat signal momentarily.

2. Some Sirius stations do not always display

3. On occasion the I-Drive system does not respond to commands for the first few minutes upon starting the car.

4. In (D)rive mode while stopped the car occasionally feels as if it switches to (N)eutral then jerks forward.

5.The turbo lag introduced with the recent software update to v.30.0.2 has not improved; the car does not perform as it did when purchased.

When I get the car back I will report on v.31 but not expecting anything we already don't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #2185
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Homerun, that was a great letter you wrote. Very well put and to the point.

Canadian, post 24 has a very interesting theory. I wonder how that will play out in the whole situation as it progresses. Since i am not very wise regarding what he says i am not able to say whether i think he is right. But it makes a little sense to me because I do know how strict they are Iin CA about emissions.
      10-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #2186
Erregend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i Convertible

May be old news, but from BMW Monthly Update

• Progman final versions
– V31.0 currently shipped
– V31.1 planned start of October
– V31.2 planned start of November
For I-Level information refer to SI B09 07 07

2021 M240i Convertible

Returned: 2008 335i E93, sold 2011 535i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #2187
Yellowheckler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to list but been have been following this posting since 2 weeks ago. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I had some issues with my nav and I brought it in the dealership last week. They replaced the dvd player and updated the software to V31. The lag is still there. The SA is clueless about the lag issues with pre v 29.2 but did mention that V31 did not address any lag symptoms. How funny, as I type this, a 335 commercial is playing on CNN.

btw, the dealership is Shelly BWM in socal.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #2188
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Somewhat off topic but, I was reading the list of SIBs and did you know as of July 08, they have discontinued the Hood Insulation Pad? Wow, wonder if it is a performance upgrade?
      10-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #2189
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

To split hairs, if it were untrue, then it'd be libel, since we are writing these things down. If we went on TV saying untrue things, then it'd be slander. But it's moot, because it's all true, or at least we all genuinely believe it to be true, even if it inexplicably somehow is not.

As for the thread going nowhere, there's a good reason for that: the problem isn't fixed!!

I should have new actuators, but not new software, as of tomorrow or late next week at the latest. I will report the results then... not optimistic, but I must admit I am holding out hope for at least a little boost in responsiveness.

Quote:
Eh. They'll reap what they sowed. What's slanderous and dishonest to me is I paid $50,000 for a car that doesn't perform as promised and I'm being fisted and made to like it.
Until they make me whole again, I'll sting them any and all ways possible.

If I see someone pissing on my doormat, I'm not going to keep asking nicely that they clean it up after I ask them once and they say "nah, it's fine that I'm pissing on your doormat!". I'm going to kick them squa' in the nuts.

Also, slander implies a sense of non-truth. Me yelling that my car is a POS and costs me a lot time and money to keep driving to the dealer (not to mention lost productivity at work with all the dealer trips and calls to BMWNA) is nothing but pure truth.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:14 AM   #2190
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erregend View Post
May be old news, but from BMW Monthly Update

• Progman final versions
– V31.0 currently shipped
– V31.1 planned start of October
– V31.2 planned start of November
For I-Level information refer to SI B09 07 07
Nice...

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/attachment...ata_Status.pdf

31.1 is already out there... somewhere.
      10-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #2191
boxter
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
Nice...

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/attachment...ata_Status.pdf

31.1 is already out there... somewhere.

That´s right,

Since my dealer in Madrid (Spain) installed E89X-08-03-530 (v29.2!!!) the failure began, less torque between 500-3000 rpm, turbo lag and engine failure with loss performance (display with yellow engine symbol) and the wastegaste didn´t open, they replaced even the EPDW(electronic-pneumatic pressure converter).
After that amazing events, my desperate dealer received the last version v31.1. Then installed v31.1: now with v31.1 the response is better than v29.2, but when you leave the engine idling,the wastegates are opened!!! ONLY when you let out the clutch the valves closed.

When I had v.25 the wastegates was closed!!!
I think that the performance are better with v31.1 BUT with v.25 the engine responded better still.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #2192
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxter View Post
That´s right,

Since my dealer in Madrid (Spain) installed E89X-08-03-530 (v29.2!!!) the failure began, less torque between 500-3000 rpm, turbo lag and engine failure with loss performance (display with yellow engine symbol) and the wastegaste didn´t open, they replaced even the EPDW(electronic-pneumatic pressure converter).
After that amazing events, my desperate dealer received the last version v31.1. Then installed v31.1: now with v31.1 the response is better than v29.2, but when you leave the engine idling,the wastegates are opened!!! ONLY when you let out the clutch the valves closed.

When I had v.25 the wastegates was closed!!!
I think that the performance are better with v31.1 BUT with v.25 the engine responded better still.
That's at least going in the right direction! I've booked my car in for Wed. There are some outstanding updates, my car doesn't show in the system as needing them but it sounds like they are ok to update me from 30.0.2 to 31.1, being a non-iDrive this is supposed to only take an hour. They seem keen to help, let's hope they can!

It might be an idea to start doing clutchless gearchanges.....keep those wastegates shut! J

Last edited by clivem2; 10-10-2008 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #2193
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
It might be an idea to start doing clutchless gearchanges.....keep those wastegates shut! J
At least for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Anyway, that is crazy, if it's true, that the wg's are improved/fixed when the clutch is out, yet stull open for some friggin reason at idle (that doesn't help me with my car sounding like an F1 racer when started cold).

Anyway, where is this info coming from? I only ask because it makes no logical sense. Why the hell could they keep them open at idle, yet close them when teh car gets moving. The car only makes boost when moving, hense only stressing the actuators when moving, basically making the whole "band-aid" a FAIL if they fix our issue by having them be closed again when the car is in motion. There's no stress on the wg's/actuators at idle, so I fail to see the point of them choosing to keep the suckers open at that point.

Hopefully this can be substantiated or disproven in the coming days/weeks. Hell, I have to get an oil change in about 2 weeks or so, so I wonder what version I'll be demanding that my dealer put on.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #2194
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunball View Post
This is what I wrote to the guy at Roundel:

I got your contact information from a forum member who is also aflicted with the same problems as a lot of us have.

I understand that a lot of misinformation surrounds this situation, however, I will only state the facts based on my personal experience.

I am a solo liscensed driver at my local race track and I've been tracking for over a decade with all of my cars. I'm also an aerospace engineer and routinely maintain and build cars as a hobby. I am very sensitive about the way my cars operate and I am very much in tune with all the mechanicals on with my vehicles.

My car is a Feb. 07 build picked up in Europe. The car came equipped with the factory oil cooler. The car had pre progman 29.2 when it was delivered and I loved it. After a routine service visit and an update to the DME, I immediately noticed the exhaust sound to be louder even before getting in the car. As the mechanic was pulling my car out, I could distinctly notice a difference in sound. This is not a slight difference, but a very noticable change. This is obviously louder because the wastegates are wide open.

On the road behavior was an even bigger shock. Before the DME update, the throttle response was very linear, smooth and immediate. The first thing I noticed post DME update was that the response was not immediate. Aside from all the internet misinformation, when I mash the throttle (in any gear) at low RPM's (like 1500 to 2500) I feel a slight surge, then a rush of boosted power. Before, it was just the rush of boosted power at the moment the throttle input was made, now there is a definate delay before the boost kicks in. It is difficult to explain but as an engineer and a driving enthusiast, I can explain it as such: The initial surge is from the naturally aspirated state and the delayed boosted surge is the time it takes for the opened wastegate to close and then produce boost. It is a repeatable pattern of throttle response. Before the update, the motor felt always under boost; now there is a second or two delay before the boost kicks in.

I've even driven the 335i on the track under the no-boost condition (limp mode) with the wastegates wide open. When the car is in limp mode, the throttle response is great, just like a naturally aspirated BMW. There is a huge handicap of power without the turbo's but the response is there and it feels even more responsive with respect to throttle inputs. I strongly suggest anyone to drive (if possible) the 335i under limp mode and see what real throttle response feels like. Again, I'm talking about throttle response, not power. Just like all the other BMW's I've owned, the throttle response is immediate and under that severly handicapped limp mode condition, it is actually easier to push around the track.

I know that turbo cars cannot replicate the response of an NA motor but the pre 29.2 progman did a very good job of masking that surge of boosted power into a nicely linear push from initial throttle application. Post 29.2, all the linear power and smoothness is still there, just that there is a delay before it starts. This is why a dyno cannot replicate this problem on paper. You cannot plot throttle response behavior. The same power, the same boost, and the same smoothness is there as before at the same RPM, just not immediate. It takes a little time when your foot hits the floor to when the car starts to boost. The only way I could imagine this being recorded would be on a very sensitive low capacity dyno. The dyno graph may show a slight wave at the very beginning of throttle application, then shoot up whereas pre DME update would show the graph shooting up without a little hickup wave on the graph.

On the real world, if two cars (one pre 29.2 and one post 29.2) were to mash the throttle at the same speed, same RPM, the pre 29.2 car would inch ahead during the time the post 29.2 car would take to close the wastegates and then both cars would accelerate the same way ending up with the pre 29.2 car slightly ahead. This is the ground gained from the time it took the post 29.2 car to close its wastegate and produce that smooth surge of power.

Some people say that it does not happen after 3k RPM's but it is there at all RPM's, just not as noticable because at 4.5k RPM's the transition between the NA portion and the boosted condition is slightly shorter due to many reasons I'm sure everyone already knows. The NA portion is making good amount of power at 4.5k and also at such high engine speeds the boost will build much quicker than at 1.5k so the delay is shorter but it is there. It is always there at all RPM's.

Thanks for reading and hopefully something can come of this.

You can contact me anytime for further information if you wish.
I think this is a fantastic letter. I'll be seriously surprised if the editors of Roundel ignore this. The thing to keep in mind is that BMWCCA is not BMW. In just about every issue there is one of the editors or columnists criticizing BMW for something. I know they have no objection bringing something to the surface that warrants visibility and discussion. This is the type of letter that will get attention for sure. I'm sure more visibility could also be obtained if they were to receive several more detailed, to-the-point, and well versed letters such as this. NOTE: the key here being GOOD letters. Letters to the tone of " Dear Roundel, BMW raped my car and I'm suing them. F BMW." will only hurt the cause.
      10-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #2195
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Two constructive suggestions...
1st paragraph....change "got" to "obtained"
8th paragraph...1st sentence.....change "On" to "In".

I'll be watching Roundel.
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #2196
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPhilly View Post
I think this is a fantastic letter. I'll be seriously surprised if the editors of Roundel ignore this. The thing to keep in mind is that BMWCCA is not BMW. In just about every issue there is one of the editors or columnists criticizing BMW for something. I know they have no objection bringing something to the surface that warrants visibility and discussion. This is the type of letter that will get attention for sure. I'm sure more visibility could also be obtained if they were to receive several more detailed, to-the-point, and well versed letters such as this. NOTE: the key here being GOOD letters. Letters to the tone of " Dear Roundel, BMW raped my car and I'm suing them. F BMW." will only hurt the cause.
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #2197
40yroldawakening
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
07 e90 335i  [0.00]
I have been noticing other changes since the 29.2, was wondering if anybody has had these issues, i'm not reading all 100 pages, sorry.

When I have my car in DS mode, it seems to stay in a gear longer, as if its keeping the rpm's up so you don't feel the lag. I was just playing around tonight, and it will stay in 3rd gear and i'm barely touching the gas, the rpm's will be right around 2800-3000.

Earlier today I was in DS mode and getting on it pretty hard, not flooring it though, and it was stuck in 3rd gear and would not shift, looked down at the tach and it was at 6000, left off the gas and it still stayed in 3rd.

The car never acted like this before the 29.2 was done. Now when I have it in D, it acts normal.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #2198
Prof3ssor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yroldawakening View Post
I have been noticing other changes since the 29.2, was wondering if anybody has had these issues, i'm not reading all 100 pages, sorry.

When I have my car in DS mode, it seems to stay in a gear longer, as if its keeping the rpm's up so you don't feel the lag. I was just playing around tonight, and it will stay in 3rd gear and i'm barely touching the gas, the rpm's will be right around 2800-3000.

Earlier today I was in DS mode and getting on it pretty hard, not flooring it though, and it was stuck in 3rd gear and would not shift, looked down at the tach and it was at 6000, left off the gas and it still stayed in 3rd.

The car never acted like this before the 29.2 was done. Now when I have it in D, it acts normal.
This is actually how DS mode is supposed to respond. It serves as a more spirited driving experience and keeps the RPM's in a higher range. After 29.2 my car only stays in DS mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #2199
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

did we break the board? It says 101 pages but only shows 100!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #2200
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
did we break the board? It says 101 pages but only shows 100!
you officially opened up 101 gratz.
Appreciate 0