E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

10-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #2289
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
today i was at BMW and they checked soft so it is 29.1.1 in my car there is possibility to update to 3.1 but as my "VIN" number sais not neccesary so i am happy without any lags
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #2290
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Although BMW don't officially acknowledge there is anything wrong, privately BMW UK have realized that there are certan issues which have made the 335i less driveable than before. The reason I say this is because two engine techs from Munich were sent over to London at the request of BMW UK so that they could analyse the engine from my car and grab the FALSA data off it to compare to another vehicle running V29.2 software with actuator and boost issues.

Although there was no immediate consensus as to a fix, there was a realization that the software upgrade was more a retrograde step than an improvement.

Incidentally, all this happened back in June. Since then, BMW Munich have visited me three times more, and right at this moment in time my car is in the workshop having the actuator' closed pressure fine tuned using a line vacuum machine, to see if this will give any further improvements. Updates and explanations will be forthcoming over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoksoami View Post
Really that post is a brief summation of what we already know except the part that says 31.1 cures the 'lag' issue that BMW claims doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #2291
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Thanks for the info, man.

I had my FASTA data (I assume that's the same as you saying FALSA) pulled back in June or so, when I first complained about the problem. I heard NOTHING back from those fools, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Although BMW don't officially acknowledge there is anything wrong, privately BMW UK have realized that there are certan issues which have made the 335i less driveable than before. The reason I say this is because two engine techs from Munich were sent over to London at the request of BMW UK so that they could analyse the engine from my car and grab the FALSA data off it to compare to another vehicle running V29.2 software with actuator and boost issues.

Although there was no immediate consensus as to a fix, there was a realization that the software upgrade was more a retrograde step than an improvement.

Incidentally, all this happened back in June. Since then, BMW Munich have visited me three times more, and right at this moment in time my car is in the workshop having the actuator' closed pressure fine tuned using a line vacuum machine, to see if this will give any further improvements. Updates and explanations will be forthcoming over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #2292
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

Maybe the "other vehicle" was mine. I have been retrograded to delivery version as well after they took FASTA data. I can tell you, BMW had no clue as to the source of the problem even after analysing that data.

Now they took measurements with different software versions on my car. It is back in the shop from BMW R&D, but no word on what has been done or what software is on the car now. I will not get it back before next week since the steering wheel column has to be exchanged.

Only thing I heard by now is that the car ran 254km/h with v27 and 264km/h with "the new version" (the slightly higher Vmax has been reported by others for versions from v30 on). Most surprising from them was that there was no tachometer deviance from the GPS data they took. I could have told them: 225/45 R18 and 255/40 R18 Non-RFT tyres.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #2293
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
today i was at BMW and they checked soft so it is 29.1.1 in my car there is possibility to update to 3.1 but as my "VIN" number sais not neccesary so i am happy without any lags
That is great ! So why are you here - just do us all a favor and go away
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #2294
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
Just wait for any problem on your car that is even remotely prone to remedy by software. Rest assured that such are not limited to anything that is evidently controlled by software. In my case it is the steering column. The first step in fixing it is reprogramming.

In other words, in that example case, you'll have the same choice as I had (please tick one):

O Yes, I want lag! All shiny and NEW! Give me the update! Now!
O No, I don't wanna start the engine any more and be "happy without any lags"!

Tough choice. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #2295
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
well as i know no need any updates for my car, it was checked by BMW, so also i dont feel any lag, as 29.1.1 version has no lag, so i am happy.

i hope that u guys will solve it sooner or later
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #2296
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

everybody just shutup and buy a tune - who wants a stock BMW anyway???

anybody? anybody?
      10-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #2297
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I sure am glad I keep a pm friend list of the real posters on this thread...man, the neighborhood shure is goin' to hell...OK children, thats enough..
      10-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #2298
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post

anybody? anybody?
not all the tunes get rid of the lag though. just dinan and V3.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #2299
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
I sure am glad I keep a pm friend list of the real posters on this thread...man, the neighborhood sure is goin' to hell...OK children, thats enough..
To be honest, that's why I haven't posted on this thread before now (and now only because I have been asked to by several US forum members). Historically it seems to me that when a member posts something useful, or valuable, to the forum, there's always a group of trolls who dispute/argue the post without a basis of actual knowledge or fact.

Alternatively there are the muppets, like this guy here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post

anybody? anybody?
I would suggest that more of you sincere US members come over to the UK section for a browse if you want considered opinions without the dumb and idiotic comments.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #2300
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
To be honest, that's why I haven't posted on this thread before now (and now only because I have been asked to by several US forum members). Historically it seems to me that when a member posts something useful, or valuable, to the forum, there's always a group of trolls who dispute/argue the post without a basis of actual knowledge or fact.

Alternatively there are the muppets, like this guy here...

I would suggest that more of you sincere US members come over to the UK section for a browse if you want considered opinions without the dumb and idiotic comments.
Amen to all of that. I won't try and say I don't inject some silly humor in this thread (or at least try to) from time to time, more to curb the depression that we all have from facing this wall of idiocy that is BMW, but, posts like the two above are just damn useless and diluting to the thread. It's funny how the "core group" of people who know what the hell we are talking about and are actually pushing to get something accomplished have turned to PM communication, which is a pain and a shame really.

Anyway, I second the above comment that you guys should browse the UK forum thread. Decent info...nothing completely revolutionary yet, but nicely laid out info.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #2301
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

ok ok sorry, if you look at most of my posts in other forums they are actualyl sincere, educated and helpful - but it totally perplexes me y this 105+ page thread exists only to beat an issue to death that even with r influence and some immediate action taken by BMW, a fix will still be months away - im agrivated, so sorry (calm down calm down)

EDIT: raise ur hand if uve ACTUALLY taken up action w BMW on this issue anyway?
      10-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #2302
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I'm the guy that started the latest thread on the UK forum. I've decided that I am going to get my car's software updated to 31.1 on Monday 20th October. I figure that my current problem (car rolling back on hills when cold and in Drive) is dangerous. Because I have a documented problem there should be no issues with getting the software installed, so on Monday we should all have some form of confirmation about what this new version does.

So come Monday i'll let you all know what the difference between my current progman version 27.2 and 31.1 is, from someone with no knowledge of 29.2 or 30.2 whatsoever. If the new software is worse than 27.2 i'll tell you. For those who are not sure if 31.1 merely reduces the lag effect or eradicates it like the older versions did, i'm about to find out.

Whilst I still have an unaffected car, does anyone want me to test anything? Take a video of the rev counter in a certain gear for example so I can then post another one after the upgrade?
      10-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #2303
paltomare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

[QUOTE=jhbodle;3482285]I'm the guy that started the latest thread on the UK forum. I've decided that I am going to get my car's software updated to 31.1 on Monday 20th October. I figure that my current problem (car rolling back on hills when cold and in Drive) is dangerous. Because I have a documented problem there should be no issues with getting the software installed, so on Monday we should all have some form of confirmation about what this new version does.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but thought this bit of info would be helpful. I recently brought my car back to the dealer to get v.31.1 and hopefully address a number of issues one of which was the same transmission issue you describe. About a month ago I was updated to 30.0.2, became laggy and developed the tranny problem. The recent update to 31.1 did not fix the lag or the tranny issue. My SF believes he addressed the tranny issue by turning off NIC (Neutral Idle Control) which ships ON by default. You may want to mention this to your SF. If you would like an explaination of NIC send me a PM. I'm still hopefull v.32 is the lag fix we are looking for, as it was explained to me v.32 is intended to bring us back to pre 29.2 spec and as wastegate rattles develop BMW will direct shops to replace the wastegates with new tighter spec versions (hint: even better performance). We will see if the is BS or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #2304
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
I sure am glad I keep a pm friend list of the real posters on this thread...man, the neighborhood shure is goin' to hell...OK children, thats enough..
i do the opposite. i just put certain posters on ignore. so instead of hiding my posts, i'm hiding their posts.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #2305
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Can someone please tell me how I can determine which software revision my car is running. I found several posts on how to find it along with contradictory statements that those instructions don't work. So I am totally confused.
      10-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #2306
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I was reading the post from the "source" about the wastegate rattle and BMW now going to replace them if they rattle. That and the throttle adaptation, I am not even sure what throttle adaptation is. As i am not the most tech qualified person here, do either of those make sense from the mechanical standpoint? From what I do know about the wastegates, it seemed to make some sense,but I wanted to hear what the wiser minds thought about that.

Oh and yeah we may be beating it to death, but it can be therapeutic to bash it out here. And we may not look like we are doing much about it, but sometimes things arent what they seem. But, we shouldnt have to buy a aftermarket tune for a car that has twin turbos and costs what these do. Granted they are fun and definitely add to the performance, but we should have been able to keep the car we bought, AS WE BOUGHT IT, NOT NEUTERED AFTER THE FACT
      10-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #2307
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
I'm the guy that started the latest thread on the UK forum. I've decided that I am going to get my car's software updated to 31.1 on Monday 20th October. I figure that my current problem (car rolling back on hills when cold and in Drive) is dangerous. Because I have a documented problem there should be no issues with getting the software installed, so on Monday we should all have some form of confirmation about what this new version does.

So come Monday i'll let you all know what the difference between my current progman version 27.2 and 31.1 is, from someone with no knowledge of 29.2 or 30.2 whatsoever. If the new software is worse than 27.2 i'll tell you. For those who are not sure if 31.1 merely reduces the lag effect or eradicates it like the older versions did, i'm about to find out.

Whilst I still have an unaffected car, does anyone want me to test anything? Take a video of the rev counter in a certain gear for example so I can then post another one after the upgrade?
perhaps this would put things in perspective for you... At this point, I'd be willing to PAY my dealer $500 or so to flash me to pre-29.2 DME software.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #2308
newbieone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335ic Space Gray

V32 should be out in december i believe??

i've noticed my throttle response softening lately also.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #2309
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieone View Post
V32 should be out in december i believe???
Scheduled for second week of November...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 02:28 AM   #2310
nOOgz
Rep
Drives: E46 330d touring

not quite...

v31.2 : around second week in November

v32: around second week in December
Appreciate 0