E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > SULEV- Warranty Fix and Additional Issues

08-23-2023, 10:13 PM   #1
ex3metal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

SULEV- Warranty Fix and Additional Issues

Wanted to get some opinions on here. Appreciate any feedback.

The issue at hand is, originally I brought in my 2008 BMW 328i to a dealership to fix a radiator sensor issue and upon research, I realized it should be covered under the 15 year SULEV warranty.

I took my car to the dealership and they did a thorough review of the car. Turns out it wasn't the radiator sensor but rather there is a leak in the valve gasket and also cover needed to be replaced. This was done under the SULEV warranty.

I went to pick up my vehicle and after driving it around, my car started shaking and I called the dealership. I brought in the car and the code was a misfiring and they replaced all the coils. Also covered under SULEV.

I picked up my car again this time, but the car shaking while idle issue was still there. Brought my car in again and after taking a look, they determine it was the injection harness that needs to be replaced. Said it wasn't covered under SULEV but BMW agreed to replace it since it's part of the coils issue which is covered under SULEV.

A day later, after the dealership got approval, the mechanic went to my car, and noticed the car couldn't start. They determined it's the failed starter motor and needs to be replaced. This is not covered by SULEV according to the service manager and will be an out of pocket cost.

They quoted me for $2,000 but willing to discount to $1,200.

My issue with all of this is, my starter motor "failed" under the dealership's care and also they failed to fix other issues and now coincidentally my starter motor failed under their watch. I tried arguing these points but the service manager won't budge. I also emailed BMW North America but doubt I'll get much traction there.

Just wondering if there's anything else I can do other than having to just pay for this unexpected repair. It's just so coincidental that it's a hard pill to swallow and fork over. Could there be a chance that the bad coils and injection harness caused the starter motor to fail? According to the service manager, that's not possible because it's a sealed component and is a standalone part.

I am no expert but could what he say be true?

Thanks in advance for any advice or input!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 01:08 AM   #2
pete9903
Private
Rep
Drives: DD: '11 6MT E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex3metal View Post
Wanted to get some opinions on here. Appreciate any feedback.

The issue at hand is, originally I brought in my 2008 BMW 328i to a dealership to fix a radiator sensor issue and upon research, I realized it should be covered under the 15 year SULEV warranty.

I took my car to the dealership and they did a thorough review of the car. Turns out it wasn't the radiator sensor but rather there is a leak in the valve gasket and also cover needed to be replaced. This was done under the SULEV warranty.

I went to pick up my vehicle and after driving it around, my car started shaking and I called the dealership. I brought in the car and the code was a misfiring and they replaced all the coils. Also covered under SULEV.

I picked up my car again this time, but the car shaking while idle issue was still there. Brought my car in again and after taking a look, they determine it was the injection harness that needs to be replaced. Said it wasn't covered under SULEV but BMW agreed to replace it since it's part of the coils issue which is covered under SULEV.

A day later, after the dealership got approval, the mechanic went to my car, and noticed the car couldn't start. They determined it's the failed starter motor and needs to be replaced. This is not covered by SULEV according to the service manager and will be an out of pocket cost.

They quoted me for $2,000 but willing to discount to $1,200.

My issue with all of this is, my starter motor "failed" under the dealership's care and also they failed to fix other issues and now coincidentally my starter motor failed under their watch. I tried arguing these points but the service manager won't budge. I also emailed BMW North America but doubt I'll get much traction there.

Just wondering if there's anything else I can do other than having to just pay for this unexpected repair. It's just so coincidental that it's a hard pill to swallow and fork over. Could there be a chance that the bad coils and injection harness caused the starter motor to fail? According to the service manager, that's not possible because it's a sealed component and is a standalone part.

I am no expert but could what he say be true?

Thanks in advance for any advice or input!
Any updates? Hope this reply isn't too late to be of use..

You may get a different answer from the service manager if you write a letter stating this sequence of events, making your dispassionate case that your starter motor worked fine until the car was in their possession, and that if they aren't willing to replace it themselves that you will pursue action in small claims court. If you know a lawyer or are willing to contact a local one, then I would include that you have "retained legal counsel." If nothing else this lets them know that they can't just brush you off.

Keep us posted!

ps - My Dad is a retired attorney.
Appreciate 0