E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

03-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #243
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
FA_WRITE CAS and FRM. Then, change the values mentioned in CIC. That's it.
Excellent thanks for confirming. I've coded individual modules before but so far not added anything to my VO, the instructions look nice and straight forward so should be able to code this ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #244
lazybummm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i

I just saw this thread, The emulator should work for a 2014 X1 with Nav right?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #245
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

You'd need to check with the seller as it might be different with the next gen wiring etc. There is a genuine OEM option of rear view camera on the F cars so performing this mod is definitely doable.

To anyone that has used the additional harness - how did you splice into the harness - is it just a case of stripping some insulation on the relevant wires, wrapping the stripped emulator wire around the harness wire and then soldering, and covering in insulation tape for example? Or have people used those clamp down wire splice things?

Last edited by Scoff123; 03-21-2015 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Found answer to other question
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #246
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

After taking delivery of the additional harness yesterday I set about starting this mod (at last!). I decided to splice into the harness by removing the relevant pins from the holders in the additional harness and soldering the emulator wires directly onto the pins to ensure a good connection and keep the harness as tidy as possible. I've taken some pictures which will hopefully help others going down the harness route. Some of it might be obvious but it might just help someone feel more confident to tackle this. I noticed that n8s 330xi had uploaded some additional harness pics which I didn't see the last time I read through the whole thread, so they helped but thought a few more pictures and details wouldn't do any harm and might help others who have little experience with wiring.

Additional harness and emulator, with relevant harness wires separated from the rest

To attach the RCA socket to the new harness, remove the white clip by pressing down the tab on top and slide out the black insert from within the white plug in a similar way. Locate the pins that the RCA attaches to from the wiring diagram in this thread, remove the metal inserts from these pin numbers by depressing the small tag on top and then sliding them out, then replace these with the 2 pins on the end of the RCA plug

Pins removed

and replaced with RCA pins

Then pop the black plug back into the white larger plug, then put the white plug back into the quadlock connector

Then remove the unused wires that you have just replaced, from the other end of the harness in a similar fashion

That's the RCA part done now

If you want to solder the emulator wires onto the relevant pins of the harness as I have, and at the same time twist the CAN wires as much as possible, first remove one of the CAN wire from the harness. These pins are held in the plastic housing by small barbs, one at either side of the pin (If you haven't dealt with these before) You can use a miniature screwdriver or a paper clip to slide down one side at a time and depress the barbs enough for the pin to slide out. Once removed, you can twist it around the other CAN wire most of the way along, leaving enough room to work with for soldering etc

Sorry for the dark picture, but you can still see how I soldered the wires

Then just a little bi of shrink sleeving for good measure (You can see one of the side barbs here in the picture what need to be pushed in to remove these type of pins from their housing. I gently prised them back out before fitting so they will spring open and hold the pins when it's back in it's housing)

Both CAN wires done

And inserted back into the plug

Just the red and black emulator wires to do now - these I done in exactly the same way

So that's the harness work done, just the final white cable to connect up once things are installed in the car - so much easier not having to do all this work in the car itself!

Ready to install this in the car this afternoon hopefully - I just have one question if someone could help please - in the picture below I've shown in arrows the connections that will go together when installed in the car, RCA to RCA, and white emulator wire to the red power wire coming out of the RCA cable which runs the length of the car. This still leaves one RED wire on the camera end - where on earth does this connect to? The other red power wire coming out of the RCA cable end obviously runs inside the main RCA cable down the length of the car and up into the camera, and the black cable at the camera end is connected to ground, but this leaves the red wire??

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #247
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoff123 View Post
Ready to install this in the car this afternoon hopefully - I just have one question if someone could help please - in the picture below I've shown in arrows the connections that will go together when installed in the car, RCA to RCA, and white emulator wire to the red power wire coming out of the RCA cable which runs the length of the car. This still leaves one RED wire on the camera end - where on earth does this connect to? The other red power wire coming out of the RCA cable end obviously runs inside the main RCA cable down the length of the car and up into the camera, and the black cable at the camera end is connected to ground, but this leaves the red wire??

I have the exact same problem!!!! I've done pretty much everything as guided but I have that one RED wire from the camera I don't know where that goes as well
      03-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #248
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad it's not me being stupid and missing something in the instructions then I'm wondering if it's simply an optional power source wire for the camera, if you choose not to power it form the white wire of the emulator? Like if someone wants to power it form the reverse light or something like that maybe? If that's the case we can just ignore it. I'm going to do the coding next and then plug in the harness at the front and give it a whirl and see what happens. Out of interest, did you use the grounding point above the rear wheel well for your camera earth?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #249
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Glad it's not me being stupid and missing something in the instructions then I'm wondering if it's simply an optional power source wire for the camera, if you choose not to power it form the white wire of the emulator? Like if someone wants to power it form the reverse light or something like that maybe? If that's the case we can just ignore it. I'm going to do the coding next and then plug in the harness at the front and give it a whirl and see what happens. Out of interest, did you use the grounding point above the rear wheel well for your camera earth?
Yeah I did.

From my end everything is hooked up as it should but this bloody RED wire is pissing me off. I've tried to ground it, to positive it NOTHING.

I pretty much gave up because i kept pulling my car apart, i got sick of it

FWIW I AM IN THE EXACT SITUATION AS YOU, EXACTLY!! I've codded my car already as well
      03-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #250
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh man, that must be frustrating as hell! Come on guys, this has got to be an easy one to answer for anyone who has installed this and got it to work - what did you did with this red wire???
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #251
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've emailed the camera seller, so will update this when I have a reply, maybe that will clear things up...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #252
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

OK so I've had a response form the seller, which I'm pretty sure confirms my suspicions - this red wire in question is optional should you want to power the camera from the car's reverse light for example. You should not need to connect this if you are powering the camera from the emulator white wire (which connects to eh red wire at the RCA nav harness end). This is their response

Camera-------12V------ White
The emulator's white line is 12V output, (You can use a multimeter to test the voltage of 12V)
The white line need connecto to camera's red line 12v input .
If the white line no output , You also can connect camera's red line to reversing light to get power.
You can check photo of camera connection in attachment.

Here is the picture they sent (which doesn't really clear anything up lol)

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #253
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Yeah I did.

From my end everything is hooked up as it should but this bloody RED wire is pissing me off. I've tried to ground it, to positive it NOTHING.

I pretty much gave up because i kept pulling my car apart, i got sick of it

FWIW I AM IN THE EXACT SITUATION AS YOU, EXACTLY!! I've codded my car already as well
you guys need to read directions better.

STEP 5:
Pop out the navi and splice into 4 wires. The colors all match up. Attach the brown and green from the emulator to the brown and green on the navi harness (this is the CANBUS interface). Do the same the red and black (power wires). Lastly. the WHITE wire from the emulator is used to power the camera. So attach that to the cameras RED wire. You'll need to ground the camera at the trunk.
      03-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #254
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the condescending attitude - I'm able to read. Perhaps you need to read what I posted a better

Yes the red wire at the NAVI end of the long RCA cable attaches to the white emulator wire, that's obvious.
What we are asking is what does the red wire coming out of the CAMERA end of the long RCA cable connect to?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #255
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the condescending attitude - I'm able to read. Perhaps you need to read what I posted a better

Yes the red wire at the NAVI end of the long RCA cable attaches to the white emulator wire, that's obvious.
What we are asking is what does the red wire coming out of the CAMERA end of the long RCA cable connect to?
Geez man, that part seemed very obvious. If you read what I wrote, I state that it powers the camera so it must connect to the camera at the other end.
      03-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #256
moreno1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoff123

I also had the camera that came with an extra red wire at the end of the camera in the trunk. So I had two wires, one black and one red. I only grounded the black one to the car and the red I simply taped correctly so it doesn't touch anything and just left it attached with tape. So that red wire does nothing and it needs to be connected to nothing....
Everything works fine as is.
Hope that helps.
2009 335i E93 /// BSM /// Sport /// Premium /// /// 19" M pack 225 wheels /// M6 wheels winter set /// 35% Tint /// Gloss Black Grills /// PE Exhaust /// Lux H8 V3 /// Interior LEDs /// JB4-DCI /// Combox & CIC Retrofit /// M3 side skirts /// M3 front bumper ///
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #257
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreno1 View Post
I also had the camera that came with an extra red wire at the end of the camera in the trunk. So I had two wires, one black and one red. I only grounded the black one to the car and the red I simply taped correctly so it doesn't touch anything and just left it attached with tape. So that red wire does nothing and it needs to be connected to nothing....
Everything works fine as is.
Hope that helps.
Thank you so much Moreno1 That's all I needed confirming, I don't know why this question was so difficult to answer!? I thought my picture with the annotations made the question very easy for anyone who had done this mod to answer, but never mind.

So to anyone else that gets stuck at this point - just ignore this red wire, tape it up, it is not needed. The only time you will need this red wire is if you choose not to power the camera from the emulators white wire, and decide to power it from the reverse light for example. This is the red wire I'm talking about (it's attached to the black wire which you fix to a grounding point)

n8s 330xi - Might be worth just adding a note into your walkthrough about this red wire if you could please, just to help others that might get stuck at this point?

ATTN - you should now be able to get this working if you've done the coding?

After completing the necessary coding everything works perfectly

Old reverse screen

New reverse screen

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #258
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

any updates for those using with existing CIC emulator?
      04-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #259
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Would this work with a 2011 135i? Same wiring behind the oem head unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #260
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Bump, can anyone confirm if this will work on the e82? I couldn't find info online on whether the e82 has the same connections as the e9x.

I'd like to order everything asap but want to confirm.

Pleqse and thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #261
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Thank you so much Moreno1 That's all I needed confirming, I don't know why this question was so difficult to answer!? I thought my picture with the annotations made the question very easy for anyone who had done this mod to answer, but never mind.

So to anyone else that gets stuck at this point - just ignore this red wire, tape it up, it is not needed. The only time you will need this red wire is if you choose not to power the camera from the emulators white wire, and decide to power it from the reverse light for example. This is the red wire I'm talking about (it's attached to the black wire which you fix to a grounding point)

n8s 330xi - Might be worth just adding a note into your walkthrough about this red wire if you could please, just to help others that might get stuck at this point?
Sorry, I hadn't been on the forum while all of this was going on.
I think it's worth clarifying what that wire is - it's simply a jumper. It connects the power from the emulator to the power for the camera. I used it to power my camera. Unfortunately, the cabling varies a bit depending on the camera you purchase. Since I used 2 cameras, I ended up seeing both this wiring and the one that Rotary used for his. The camera setup you have is able to be powered by the white wire connection, via this red cable. That's how mine is wired.
      04-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #262
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2iceman View Post
Bump, can anyone confirm if this will work on the e82? I couldn't find info online on whether the e82 has the same connections as the e9x.

Pleqse and thank you!
Not ignoring you- I just think we don't know. Maybe you'll be the first to find out?
      04-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #263
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8s 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2iceman View Post

Pleqse and thank you!
Not ignoring you- I just think we don't know. Maybe you'll be the first to find out?
Yea, haha I was hoping someone here could confirm before I order... I'll probably end up trying it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #264
bmg4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i x drive

Do you need to change/activate the pdc options in the cic if you don't have pdc?
Appreciate 0