E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52B30 working temperature

05-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
bateray
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

N52B30 working temperature

Hi,
I want to change the temperature of my engine to work permenantly at 90C, right know when outside is hot is running between 100-105C in the city, which i don't like! Han anyone done that? I have found some old threads that someone had changed the thermostat or another one with remmaped solutions.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the DME controls it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:24 AM   #3
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
No need to worry at all about the operating temperature. When you are idling around town the DME increases the coolant temperature for quite a few reasons, and as soon as you demand more power from the engine, the water pump kicks on high, and the thermostat goes to a "cooler" setting, targeting as low as 80c! A cooler thermostat would take this control away from the DME, bringing many disadvantages and likely causing all sorts of little issues that simply aren't worth it for a street driven car. No need to fear 105c... these engines can handle much higher temperatures. Component protection doesn't begin until 117c.

These cars have one of the more advanced cooling systems available, even today, and it's best left alone.

If you need more convincing, there is a thread on the internet "Anyone use lower temp thermostat in N52 engine" that should give you plenty of information.
Appreciate 1
Volasko696.00
      05-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOhh View Post
No need to worry at all about the operating temperature. When you are idling around town the DME increases the coolant temperature for quite a few reasons, and as soon as you demand more power from the engine, the water pump kicks on high, and the thermostat goes to a "cooler" setting, targeting as low as 80c! A cooler thermostat would take this control away from the DME, bringing many disadvantages and likely causing all sorts of little issues that simply aren't worth it for a street driven car. No need to fear 105c... these engines can handle much higher temperatures. Component protection doesn't begin until 117c.

These cars have one of the more advanced cooling systems available, even today, and it's best left alone.

If you need more convincing, there is a thread on the internet "Anyone use lower temp thermostat in N52 engine" that should give you plenty of information.
Solid advice right here. He is correct there are 4 maps the DME uses to control temps based on load demand. Typically the DME will let the temps rise to help lower fuel consumption in idle or traffic scenarios. You can read all about it in the N52 tech manual I have shared, starts at page 54.
Appreciate 3
JonOhh672.00
Phil325i611.50
      05-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
+1 This is one of the reasons BMW stopped fitting water temp gauges and went for oil temp instead. The constant variation and fluctuation in water temperatures would have sent the average motorist into a panic and beat a path to the dealer...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
bateray
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

Yeah guys.. I know that DME controls the temperature... But i still dont like and dont think that in long term this temperature are good for the engine, i preffer to run colder and sacrifice a little fuel economy, but to save my engine for longer time. I have a friend with the same car that somehow bypass the original thermostat and install another thermost from Renault and from 2litre oil for 10k km, the ening stop burning the oil!! But I don't like the way it's done! So again my question is there are someone that done something like this?? To install another thermostat or somehow remmaped the DME?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateray View Post
Yeah guys.. I know that DME controls the temperature... But i still dont like and dont think that in long term this temperature are good for the engine, i preffer to run colder and sacrifice a little fuel economy, but to save my engine for longer time. I have a friend with the same car that somehow bypass the original thermostat and install another thermost from Renault and from 2litre oil for 10k km, the ening stop burning the oil!! But I don't like the way it's done! So again my question is there are someone that done something like this?? To install another thermostat or somehow remmaped the DME?
Come on, these engines can last for 300,000 miles without issues, I had 200,000k with my E85. All using stock temperature control.

The BMW N52 cooling system is very good. You will not extend the life by running the engine at a cooler temp.

In most situations , everything else on the car will fall apart before you wear out the engine. My E85 was losing its paint, seats were done, hardtop was wore out. Console plastic was going etc. Florida sun was just killing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Hot does not mean short lived. The engine is designed to run at a certain temperature, deviating from this too hot OR too cold can have a negative impact on engine life. If you're that worried about engine life, depending on your mileage, replace the water pump and thermostat preventatively.

I understand your logic and desire, but with modern engines it's no longer needed. The original cooling system does a better job of keeping actual engine temperatures more consistent than any fixed temperature design will. Having the coolant temp increase while idling around and decrease when being driven hard does a very good job of keeping oil temperatures rock steady, which arguably is more important.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

If ain't broke, don't fix it
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateray View Post
why do you think you know better than the engineers who designed the car and the engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:56 AM   #11
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I know Corvette owners who think the same way. They are told the same thing from C6 on...yes, higher temps than your old one. Not an issue, don’t try and lower temp. Car is designed that way and smarter than you.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 06:48 AM   #12
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
A thermostat only controls the MINIMUM operating temperature of an engine. Putting in a colder thermostat won't have any benefit to this engine, all it will do is likely cost you more in fuel, and potentially cause other issues. If you want your engine to last, leave it alone. There are members floating around here with 300K+ miles using the stock cooling system components.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0