E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 2011 Track Events (Québec, Ontario & North East USA)

05-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #133
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
a little unclear on the forms. the Pre-tech inspection form is for me to inspect my own car or to hand to a mechanic to get it inspected. i dont see the usual place where the mechanic should fill in his details.
On the second sheet (Event Rules and Code...) there is a place for the mechanic to sign... but it doesn't look like it's mandatory. You can sign yourself that you did the inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #134
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYA CFA View Post
Hey guys,

I'm signed up for the June 3-4 weekend with Trillium at Mosport and need to get a tech inspection done. Anyone got any suggestions for a decent place to get checked out right downtown? Don't say Downtown BMW....

Also, I got my brake fluid replaced at SpeedStar in the fall; do I really need to have it done again already (per the Trillium inspection sheet)? It' s expensive and I've only put a couple thousand kilometers on the car since then.

Thanks
If this is your first event (newb) you won't use your brakes so hard. If the brake fluid isn't black (dark) you should be fine.

As for inspection, find any mechanic that can follow a list of items to check on your car. No need to go to the BMW dealer. Go to any legit mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #135
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Tremblant went well. No accidents. Always a good thing.

Chris and Ken are like the wind ... I couldnt catch them ...
      05-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #136
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post

Ken says you were the fastest. So who do I believe?

Glad you had a good time.

here in WG... rain tonight. tech inspection done. The number of GT3RS here is enormous. we will see who is holding up who tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #137
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYA CFA View Post
Just to be clear, I had it changed last September and then immediately tracked it at Mosport. Still OK as long as it isn't dark?
You'll be fine. As you get better and abuse the brakes more you'll want to change your fluids more often. I do mine every second event or so along with my engine oil.

Last edited by jgalaxy; 05-14-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #138
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post

here in WG... rain tonight. tech inspection done. The number of GT3RS here is enormous. we will see who is holding up who tomorrow.
Those GT3RS hug those corners well.

Ken is too humble.

I had a great day up until I asked Sebastien to hop in. It was the last session of the day. I made more errors in that one session then I did the rest of the day combined. Just goes to show what a little peer pressure does and another 80kg up front.

Be safe and have beaucoup fun. Hope the rain isnt too much of a pain.
      05-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #139
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

1st day recap.
NO RAIN. so very happy. Weather was perfect. no sun, not hot.
very friendly people, always there to lend a hand if needed.

1st session was so so. I wasn't sure what gear to be in, and most apexes are late.
I had to get re-acquainted with giving point-byes
Instructor was very good. and helpful.

2nd session was leaps and bounds better. Still I see where I can be better. But had a new instructor who was very impressed with my smoothness and lines. 1st instructor had to leave because he got sick. Not because of me.

3rd session. all goes well. a few mistakes here and there. But not too many since I was signed off to go solo tomorrow.

What a day. I wish one of you folks would be here. We will have a blast in August.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #140
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

pictures

1st day
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #141
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

lots of very serious race cars! great pics !

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #142
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:

Quote:

joel was definitely the fastest man among us 3. he past overtook me and i couldnt keep up with him through the corners. i think he's got some new found speed from his NT01s.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #143
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I had lotsa fun with Chris and Joel. Definitely cars and drivers are getting faster each year. The day started slow for me being the first track day for me. Took a good 4 sloooow sessions to adjust. The last 3 sessions I picked up a little speed thanks to Chris who pulled me up I figure another track day and I'll be back in form.

I can't wait for Calabogie, that's only in August.

Tony, thanks for posting the pics, hey you get your own indoor parking spot with garage door and you still insist you are no snob? Nice try....

tigidou!
      05-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #144
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

i never said i wasn't a snob
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #145
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i never said i wasn't a snob
You should be fast asleep Sir Tony! Otherwise tomorrow you will be slow awake
      05-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #146
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
1st day recap.
NO RAIN. so very happy. Weather was perfect. no sun, not hot.
very friendly people, always there to lend a hand if needed.

1st session was so so. I wasn't sure what gear to be in, and most apexes are late.
I had to get re-acquainted with giving point-byes
Instructor was very good. and helpful.

2nd session was leaps and bounds better. Still I see where I can be better. But had a new instructor who was very impressed with my smoothness and lines. 1st instructor had to leave because he got sick. Not because of me.

3rd session. all goes well. a few mistakes here and there. But not too many since I was signed off to go solo tomorrow.

What a day. I wish one of you folks would be here. We will have a blast in August.
Rain is such a killjoy. Happy to hear that all went well. I'm definitely looking forward to August with you and Chris. Cheers.
      05-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #147
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
1st day
Look at all them pretty hot rod Lincoln auto-mobiles! That is a lot of fast metal out there. Which group are you driving with?
      05-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #148
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Trackers Input required

Ok, so my cool carbons are in their final days and will need changing soon. They've been good so far, but I am liking less and less the fact the lack of feeling quick hard bite. It will definitely slow you down, but you need to be patient. For reference, they are slightly better than stock and easier on the rotors than OEM.

My rotors are the originals with 51k + 16 track days on them and look still they have some life in them. Yeah, I am impressed too. In terms of pads, I have used only 50% of the OEMs plus this set of CC.

So I have a couple of options:

Options:
1) Replace with new cool carbons (I have a new set on the shelf)

2) Replace with Porterfield R4S pads. I have this set on the shelf too, with a set of front 2 piece RB upgraded rotors.

Option 1) will allow me to use up my current rotors to the ground, before switching to 2).

What do you guys recommend?

Last edited by kenneth; 05-15-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #149
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Look at all them pretty hot rod Lincoln auto-mobiles! That is a lot of fast metal out there. Which group are you driving with?
Porsche Club of America / Allegheny (Pittsburgh)

Rain isn't as bad as fog. We got fog on Sunday. 3 laps and then they had to call it quits. Fog was heavy and not moving. drove back home a day earlier.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #150
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Ok, so my cool carbons are in their final days and will need changing soon. They've been good so far, but I am liking less and less the fact the lack of feeling quick hard bite. It will definitely slow you down, but you need to be patient. For reference, they are slightly better than stock and easier on the rotors than OEM.

My rotors are the originals with 51k + 16 track days on them and look still they have some life in them. Yeah, I am impressed too. In terms of pads, I have used only 50% of the OEMs plus this set of CC.

Options:

2) Replace with Porterfield R4S pads. I have this set on the shelf too, with a set of front 2 piece RB upgraded rotors.

Option 1) will allow me to use up my current rotors to the ground, before switching to 2).

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #151
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Rain isn't as bad as fog. We got fog on Sunday. 3 laps and then they had to call it quits. Fog was heavy and not moving. drove back home a day earlier.
That sure sucks!
      05-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #152
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Fog!? WTF? I hear your pain. I'm happy to hear that you are in one piece. I've played hockey in foggy arenas before and that was seriously dangerous. I can only imagine whipping around the track. WG next month.

Quote:

Options:

Just replace the CC pads with better pads. $300 bucks and your good to go. The OEM rotors are monsters and will be fine for daily driver use with some track time, you cant beat them. Slotted for full time track use.
      05-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #153
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Options:

I changed out my HT10s for my OEM today. I ate through about 20% on the track Friday. I like them. I actually prefer the HP Plus better. The HT10s took at least one full lap to warm up, but once warm, had good stopping power and could be modulated for control at the limit. The HP Plus were ready for action after the second braking on the warm up lap. For our HPDE sessions the HT10 are overkill and they are pointless on the street offering little to no braking when cold.

Ken, do you have different pads on the shelf or are you looking for new ones?
The OEM rotors are monsters. No need to change those out. Eat them up and go slotted if you need to.
If you have R4S on the shelf, give them a try for the track. I would suggest getting your disks turned to remove the previous brake substrate.
      05-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #154
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Hey Joel, next time you switch your pads, I would like to see you do it. Seriously want to learn this.
Appreciate 0