E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > A question about post-EGR delete remaps

07-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
EthanSheppard1878
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D, Z4 E85 2.0

A question about post-EGR delete remaps

I could really do with some advice here.

To cut a long story short, I've deleted my EGR with blanking plates and the engine now runs terribly. Shaky idle, and in 1st gear either I can't get above 10mph or it stalls before I can get the clutch up.

I am getting ridiculous back pressure readings (1000 mBar+) from ISTA. However, I have found the engine runs much better (altough not 100%) in two conditions. Firstly, with the blanking plate on the exhaust side of the EGR valve removed. Or secondly, with the DPF removed. In both cases the engine appears to breathe properly and rev much more freely. However, there is more black smoke coming from the engine under revs than a coal mine, even with the DPF removed.

A garage looked at it and advised the smoke is from the air/fuel mixture being way off due to the EGR delete. They advised that this has clogged my DPF causing the rough running, and that after blanking my EGR valve I should have had it remapped before running the engine.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I was under the impression post-EGR delete the only symptoms before a remap would likely be an EML? Not rough running?

Please share with me any experiences you might have had with this, as I am getting conflicting information.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 07:10 PM   #2
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

How long did it take after you blanked off the egr before it started running rough? If it was a while (several hours running time) before the car started running rough, it sounds like your car is not regenerating the DPF and the DPF plugged up. I read several posts here that the car will not start the regeneration process without EGR. Someone more knowledgable than me on the DPF regeneration process will chime in and let you know. I would reconnect the egr and see if your car regenerates the DPF and your problems go away.
In general if a problem starts soon after you do something, look there first.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
EthanSheppard1878
Rep

Tomnavigator,

Thanks for your response. That would make sense, however the rough running occured immediately after the EGR blanking. So I don't suspect this is a usual case of DPF not regenerating. It seems as if the EGR blanking itself has caused the engine to run rough. I'm yet to find anyone online reporting similar issues though...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
lnxguy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

You need a re-tune.
      07-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

Try removing the blanking plates to return egr to factory conditions. Then start car to see if the car runs fine with everything returned to factory. If everything runs great, then you know the plates caused the problem.

If car still runs rough, look for a loose wire connection or broken wire or vacuum line that got pulled off or is leaking around the area you were working. Let us know the results and we can try something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 07:38 AM   #6
EthanSheppard1878
Rep

Tomnavigator, sorry for the slow reply. I think this is a sensible option, you're right. I stupidly scrapped the EGR as soon as I removed it. Given they can be bought for <20 on eBay though, I will invest in a used spare for testing. Lesson learned!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep the thread posted ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:54 PM   #7
awenthol
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 335d

To clarify, you're tuned for deletes? You only dleted EGR but are still running DOC, DPF, and NOx cat?

Secondly, deleting EGR will reduce soot output, not increase. If you have more soot, it's due to added fuel... Be it the tune, MAF issues, or injector/fueling issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #8
EthanSheppard1878
Rep

New EGR valve arrived today so hopefully I can get that fitted tomorrow and will post the results here.

Awenthol, I'm tuned for an EGR delete. That being said I gather the tuner has simply told the ECU to keep the EGR closed and I am still getting EGR fault codes on my OBD scanner so I suspect he's not done a great job of it...

I would have expected deleting the EGR would reduce soot output as you said. However, I'm concerned that the tune is not correct and I am attempting to prove this by reinstalling the EGR.

If the car runs good with the EGR reinstalled I suspect it's the tune at fault. I hope that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 08:55 PM   #9
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

You did not tell us you until today that you had a tuner tune out the EGR. Your first post only mentions blanking out the EGR. I thought the only thing you did was to install blanking plates. Blanking plates don't normally cause the vehicle to run rough. Your tuner probably screwed up something in the programming with his tune. The most probable cause of your problem is the tune not your blanking plates and removal of the EGR valve. I vote that the problem is in the tuning.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 09:04 PM   #10
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

In the United States there are a lot of people who delete the EGR electronically or through EGR blanking plates without tuning out the EGR. This causes the car to throw a trouble code light (check engine light). I never heard of anyone state that their car runs rough because of blanking off the EGR without actually tuning out the EGR.
I can not state this through experience because I can't stand trouble lights. It would drive me craze having a trouble light on all the time. So, I have not disconnected by EGR.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #11
EthanSheppard1878
Rep

Tomnavigator, apologies I thought I had mentioned that. For what it is worth though, these issues appeared before I had it tuned and have not changed since. As stated above, as far as I am aware the remap only closed the EGR and did not make any changes to the air/fuel mixture or any other parameters. That is why I was asking for other's experiences.

A quick update is that I stupidly ordered the wrong EGR Valve and so I've not made any progress. Will keep this thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:06 AM   #12
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

Is your tune a commercial tune or is it a one off tune? If your tune was done by an individual instead of a commercial product, the person who tuned it might have caused your problem by accident. If a commercial tune, then there is not a big chance the tune is causing the issue.
I see that you said the problem started before the tune. I would still look for something accidentally unplugged or a broken wire. EGR deletes are not known to make a car run worse. Once you get everything reconnected you will know. But, you will need to remove your EGR delete tune to be sure.
Appreciate 0