E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > My E92 335i log

06-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #23
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

A few glory shots while the cars still buttoned up. Drives wonderfully on the coilovers and new control arms.

Height is also great, looks nice IMO and I'm not struggling to get in and out of driveways or carparks, even with a full car! Guess that's the silver lining when it comes to running 19" wheels on this platform haha!

6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu145.50
      07-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #24
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

The car is driving well. Being the tinkerer that I am, she ended up on jackstands for the past couple of weeks as I wanted to sort out some more things and I'm only able to put work in sporadically with my current work/life situation.

Picked up an M3 style bootlip for the car.

I fitted the Motiv flex fuel kit and upgraded fuel lines from the fuel filter to the HPFP.

While I had the intake manifold off to tighten the aftermarket fuel line to the oem HPFP hard fuel lines, I had a look at my intake valves.

I was expecting worse, so I think they were blasted/cleaned about 30 - 40k km ago. Still not happy with it, so I guess I'm going to do a walnut blast in the near future

Next on the DIY list will be a transmission overhaul. I am currently running the xHP stage 3 flash and it is great. I was very impressed with how fast a ~10yo conventional torque converter automatic could shift. However, I recently checked my adaptation values in xHP and they weren't too flash:

Don't mind the difference between actual and average values - the averages are not a realistic indication for a car with ~130k km of wear like mine.

I don't have any significant issues with the tranny while driving, but I've noticed the shifts between 1st and 2nd are a tad harsh (not that I have WOT traction in 1st anyway). Based on my understanding, 700mbar is the line where the transmission can compensate for wear without bringing up issues that you would ordinarily perceive while driving.

I've got new fluid, a new filter, various sleeves and plan on grabbing a set of solenoids (for the mechatronics unit). I suspect the previous owners have not touched the transmission. Hopefully my plan of attack will improve those xHP values and improve shifting feel and response further.

I also have sourced a combox from an E84 X1, and a spare dash cluster from a 325i, so I will be tackling a CIC retrofit and playing around with my 335i cluster to add some interesting features in the near future.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 1
BSG33528.50
      07-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #25
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Coming along nicely! Keen to see the progress
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #26
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Last weekend I did a CIC retrofit to the car.

Picked up a bunch of bits over the past few weeks:
E9x CIC screen, wiring, connectors and glove box USB
E84 X1 CIC head unit, controller, reverse camera and Combox unit.

Pretty happy with it, as it's so much better than the dated CCC unit.

I grabbed the E84 bits, as I was specifically after a 2012+ CIC unit with the C1A firmware, and E84's were built right up to about 2015, so this opened my options up more when looking for a suitable donor car, particularly as the X1 is a less desirable car for enthusiasts and part pullers.

You can script activate C1A firmware CIC units and enable nav without needing an emulator, or someone with an ICOM cable to update the CIC firmware to C1A. Yoda aka PeterY has previously covered this in his build thread. The process was quite involved but my CIC unit is basically coded as if the car left the factory with the unit.

Looking forward to getting the combox in and enabling BT audio and BMW apps.

One interesting thing I realised was the E84 X1 came with an OEM reverse camera that integrates with the CIC unit. OEM reverse cameras were never a thing on the E9x.

After some discussion with NickCo43 on the E9x Discord server, I figured I may aswell look into retrofitting the OEM X1 reverse cam and camera module to my car.

I'm starting to rethink my plans to to beyond simply changing the fluid on my 6at to improve it. If I can find a decent 6mt box from a wreck, I may just start piecing together a manual conversion.
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu145.50
      08-26-2019, 01:19 AM   #27
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Nice update mate! I may need your expertise later on
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #28
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Got the LCI tails on

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #29
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Tidy

Did you go with OEM or Depo? I was super happy with the depo tails on my old 2011 WRX

Last edited by TiAgAu; 09-09-2019 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #30
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
Last weekend I did a CIC retrofit to the car.

Picked up a bunch of bits over the past few weeks:
E9x CIC screen, wiring, connectors and glove box USB
E84 X1 CIC head unit, controller, reverse camera and Combox unit.

Pretty happy with it, as it's so much better than the dated CCC unit.

I grabbed the E84 bits, as I was specifically after a 2012+ CIC unit with the C1A firmware, and E84's were built right up to about 2015, so this opened my options up more when looking for a suitable donor car, particularly as the X1 is a less desirable car for enthusiasts and part pullers.

You can script activate C1A firmware CIC units and enable nav without needing an emulator, or someone with an ICOM cable to update the CIC firmware to C1A. Yoda aka PeterY has previously covered this in his build thread. The process was quite involved but my CIC unit is basically coded as if the car left the factory with the unit.

Looking forward to getting the combox in and enabling BT audio and BMW apps.

One interesting thing I realised was the E84 X1 came with an OEM reverse camera that integrates with the CIC unit. OEM reverse cameras were never a thing on the E9x.

After some discussion with NickCo43 on the E9x Discord server, I figured I may aswell look into retrofitting the OEM X1 reverse cam and camera module to my car.

I'm starting to rethink my plans to to beyond simply changing the fluid on my 6at to improve it. If I can find a decent 6mt box from a wreck, I may just start piecing together a manual conversion.

Manual conversion is the way to go mate. Doing the swap is relatively easy, getting all the parts is the hardest bit of this mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:35 AM   #31
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Tidy

Did you go with OEM or Depo? I was super happy with the depo tails on my old 2011 WRX
I went with the Depos after doing a fair bit of reading on them, although I kinda wish I held out for a good deal on used OEM's haha.

I came across an older thread where someone took pics of OEM LCI's and the Depo tails side by side. They looked identical to me and the OP mentioned looked 99% alike in the flesh. IMO not worth the added cost unless getting a good deal on OEM LCI's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Manual conversion is the way to go mate. Doing the swap is relatively easy, getting all the parts is the hardest bit of this mod.
I blame you and Pete for making me want to do crazy things to what is probably a $15k car now still love it though, honestly wouldn't trade it for anything else right now
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:12 AM   #32
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
I went with the Depos after doing a fair bit of reading on them, although I kinda wish I held out for a good deal on used OEM's haha.

I came across an older thread where someone took pics of OEM LCI's and the Depo tails side by side. They looked identical to me and the OP mentioned looked 99% alike in the flesh. IMO not worth the added cost unless getting a good deal on OEM LCI's.

I blame you and Pete for making me want to do crazy things to what is probably a $15k car now still love it though, honestly wouldn't trade it for anything else right now
Haha glad to help jzx
Never been cheaper to mod with lots of cheap parts around compared to a couple of years ago
#N54modlife
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #33
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Well it's been a while since the last update and I haven't made much progress other than collecting more parts, as I got married back in January.

Fitted a bootlid handle reverse camera and updated the CIC maps to 2020

Also did a few other things!

Wheel studs

335is aux rad

M3 style cluster with variable redline coded in

I also completed a headlight refurb. I ended up getting Bavgruppe V3 round halos, Bavgruppe LED indicator lights, ZKW-R projector lenses, some random China white bulbs for the cornering assist lights and I already had a pair of Morimoto 6500k HID bulbs. I highly rate the Bavgruppe stuff, seems like in a completely different league to the generic China stuff that is always hit or miss.

I initially grabbed some China headlight lenses but they did not fit that well. DO NOT use China lenses for e92/e93 - they are rubbish!!! I sorted this out by going for Bimmerjakes lenses and they are soooo worth the extra $$. They claim their lenses are OEM and I don't see any reason to say otherwise, they had the same markings and overall quality as my factory lenses, whereas the eBay/China lenses obviously didn't fit as well, but didn't have the usual OEM style markings.

Opening up the headlights

Poverty work area

Found the reason why one of my outer angel eyes was all yellowed out and looking like crap. I believe something previously fried itself in there as some of the headlight wiring was exposed. Oh well, easily fixed with new rings and some heatshrink.

All back together

How they turned out (I should give the headlight lenses a decent coat of wax)

Very pleased with the results as they basically look like a more modern version of the OEM headlights, which is what I set out to achieve.

Also picked up a few more handling bits, mostly thanks to vtl. I swear this guy is bad for plenty of Aussie e8x/e9x owners' wallets

GAS front monoballs (e9x M3/e82 1M control arm variant)

Rear monoball kit

Rear subframe bushings - these are made by Private Label Manufacturing

No photos of the M3 rack that I grabbed from the UK, but it's in great nick and only needed a small clean up.

If I get hit with a "work from home" or self isolation order, I might be able to make some substantial progress instead of hording parts. In saying that, hope you are all well and staying safe!
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #34
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Well, car is back on the road for now. Very pleased with the headlights!

Appreciate 1
shannon1636.50
      04-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #35
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

I like it. Nice work! Just wondering what wheels studs did you go with? length?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #36
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I like it. Nice work! Just wondering what wheels studs did you go with? length?
I went with 56mm studs as I don't plan to run spacers larger than 10mm. If i can find wheels in the perfect spec, I won't need to run spacers at all! Haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 05:20 AM   #37
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I went with 56mm studs as I don't plan to run spacers larger than 10mm. If i can find wheels in the perfect spec, I won't need to run spacers at all! Haha.
Thanks again Was it these from ECS?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #38
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yep!
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu145.50
      04-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #39
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Great progress on the car J.... looking awesome..... lights are a lot of work, lots of effort put in here and it shows
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #40
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

6mt swap

It's been a while so here's some pics.

Changed plugs to NGK 97506, did an oil and filter change (Redline 0w40) and threw on an ECS billet oil filter housing cap.

Enjoyed it for a bit.

I ended up grabbing a pair of Flow Designs rear side spats that I plan to skin in carbon fiber so they match the rest of my CF exterior bits. Need to throw on some M3 side skirts and CF extensions!!

Now, I've been slowly hoarding bits for a manual conversion and started work on it last week. Grabbed a 135i box in reasonably good nick, a twin plate organic clutch thanks to Xtreme Clutch (also known as XClutch across the pond), and a bunch of misc OEM bits from PeterY, along with UUC delrin and turner shifter carrier bushings.

Tore apart most of the interior so I could run an OEM hard line clutch pipe from the pedal box to a grommet in the passenger side footwell. This was super tedious and involved cutting the carpet which was pretty scary for an amateur like me.

I ended up bending the tube so I could run it from the passenger side, above the transmission tunnel (and under the dash / behind the head unit etc) and bending it back into shape once it made its way to the drivers side.

PITA clutch pipe

Interior out

Looking more normal and I have 3 pedals now

Hoping to finish off the swap in the next week or two, then tackle the remaining parts that I have sitting around at home (random bushings, oil pan gasket, m3 rack etc). I plan to get an LSD built into my spare 3.46 bolted large diff and thrown in once I drop the rear subframe.

Lastly, I had a China Apple Carplay/Android Auto unit arrive in the mail. Heard good things about it so will see how it integrates with the CIC unit. It is an addon unit and not a screen replacement.
Appreciate 2
shannon1636.50
drZ127.50
      07-25-2020, 03:19 AM   #41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Andy, your build is awesome. Great work man.

I too have bought the parts to do this swap on my wagon. I also think I'm local to you, so if you think a second set of hands would help, let me know. It would be good to get a feel for the project before I undertake mine. I'm not planning to do mine just yet, so if you are missing any pieces let me know. I bought everything from a guy wrecking his car, so should have most bits here.

Who are you using for the LSD?

Keep us posted, this is an enjoyable build to watch.
Craig
Appreciate 1
jzx_andy245.00
      07-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #42
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1275 View Post
Andy, your build is awesome. Great work man.

I too have bought the parts to do this swap on my wagon. I also think I'm local to you, so if you think a second set of hands would help, let me know. It would be good to get a feel for the project before I undertake mine. I'm not planning to do mine just yet, so if you are missing any pieces let me know. I bought everything from a guy wrecking his car, so should have most bits here.

Who are you using for the LSD?

Keep us posted, this is an enjoyable build to watch.
Craig
Awesome!!! 6mt wagon is going to be sweeet! Thanks for the offer, might need to take you up on it as there will definitely be some trial and error on my part haha.

I plan on sending my diff to Diff Lab in Qld, so they can throw an OS Giken Superlock in it. Heard very good things about that diff. If you know of any reputable diff shops in WA who deal with BMW's - I'm all ears!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:18 AM   #43
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Quote:
Awesome!!! 6mt wagon is going to be sweeet! Thanks for the offer, might need to take you up on it as there will definitely be some trial and error on my part haha.

I plan on sending my diff to Diff Lab in Qld, so they can throw an OS Giken Superlock in it. Heard very good things about that diff. If you know of any reputable diff shops in WA who deal with BMW's - I'm all ears!
I'd be more than happy to help mate. It would all be new to me as well, but sometimes 2 heads are better than 1, so they say...

A mate had a OS Giken diff installed by the guys at GMW (in Malaga). Might be worth a call to them? Seem like good dudes. I've only driven the 135i once since the diff was installed, and don't have heaps to compare it to, but it felt amazing to drive. Light years ahead of my car (with its auto, open diff, much less power....)

Let me know when you're working on it next. I'm pretty sure we're only a suburb or two away (going by your Gumtree wanted ad).

Craig
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:42 AM   #44
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1275 View Post
I'd be more than happy to help mate. It would all be new to me as well, but sometimes 2 heads are better than 1, so they say...

A mate had a OS Giken diff installed by the guys at GMW (in Malaga). Might be worth a call to them? Seem like good dudes. I've only driven the 135i once since the diff was installed, and don't have heaps to compare it to, but it felt amazing to drive. Light years ahead of my car (with its auto, open diff, much less power....)

Let me know when you're working on it next. I'm pretty sure we're only a suburb or two away (going by your Gumtree wanted ad).

Craig
Hey Craig

I spoke to GMW, they seem like a bunch of great guys but unfortunately they said they aren't able to build any of the large case e9x 335i diffs. Apparently even the large bolted diffs from the early production automatic 335i's require some form of machine work that they're not entirely confident with. The welded ring gear diffs are a no-go either.

Not too sure on whether they can build small bolted diffs that some of the automatic 335i's produced from late-2007 onward came with. I don't remember there being any machine work required on those differentials, but I'm far from the best source of information when it comes to this topic haha.

Hope this helps! BTW I'm located around Carlisle, if you're around. Might need a pair of hands to help me fit the clutch assembly and manual box in, as I pulled the auto out of the car a couple of nights ago

Appreciate 0