E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Turbo seals gone?

09-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
HighMasterGogo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Turbo seals gone?

Hi guys, just after a bit of advice. I'm an "OK" diy mechanic so I agreed to have a look over my friends 320d. He said he was driving around 20mph down a hill when he heard an unusual sound and felt a kind of misfire from the engine. He immediately pulled over. He started the engine to drive the short distance back home saying there was little power. We towed the car to my house where I drove it around 100 yards into my garage. The engine is very oily, especially around the turbo area. I've got the front up on axle stands and I can now see there is A LOT of oil from the back of the turbo all the way to the gearbox.

So, we're thinking the turbo seals have gone.

My question is, do you agree? And, if so, are we ok to just swap out the turbo for a reconditioned turbo? Is there anything we need to swap out?

Many thanks for any help and advice anyone can provide.

Here's a few photos:

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I wouldn't jump to turbo conclusion. If valve cover gasket (VCG) goes, the intake starts pressurizing the crank case and oil can come out lots of places.

I'm not saying it is the VCG but you should clean up the oil mess with brake clean spray and then determine where oil is coming out. TunemyEuro owner posted a video showing blown out VCG effects and it was a massive oil leak. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
HighMasterGogo
Registered
Rep

Many thanks for your response. This is a great suggestion and I'll definitely get everything cleaned up to see if I can see the source of the oil leak.

The only thing leading me towards turbo is that is was a sudden change in how the engine was running. I suppose this could still be the case if the pressurisation is suddenly changed (VCG failing suddenly and substantially?)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #4
HighMasterGogo
Registered
Rep

OK so was stripping down the top of the engine to get a look at the VCG and it looks like a swirl flap failure has occurred. I have a swirl flap missing on cylinder 3.

Anyone want a very cheap 320d before it goes to the scrap heap!?
Appreciate 0