E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > REVIEW: Cleaning of intake valves with BMW walnut shell blasting tool

12-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #111
dirtypickle
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6extreme View Post
Update. The car is getting about >6mpg better fuel economy. Throttle response down low is awesome now. Pulls so strong
What do you charge to do mine? I live in Louisville, Ky. Will want it sometime early 2017 as it runs great right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #112
Starko
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Now when my engine is being fixed I will make the mechanic open the covers so I can see inside the cylynders. I don't know if this procedure was ever done to my 190k km car so I guess it is a must. Also here in Bulgaria it costs under $150.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #113
vr6extreme
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5m FBO 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypickle View Post
Quote:
Update. The car is getting about >6mpg better fuel economy. Throttle response down low is awesome now. Pulls so strong
What do you charge to do mine? I live in Louisville, Ky. Will want it sometime early 2017 as it runs great right now.
Need to look at the car first. Depends on gaskets and other things you may need
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #114
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

how do you tell if the valves are closed? Isn't there 4 positions to the valves so It would be possible for one of them to look closed but is actually open?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #115
Meatos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 -07

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
how do you tell if the valves are closed? Isn't there 4 positions to the valves so It would be possible for one of them to look closed but is actually open?
They open together so look down the intake side on the head and turn the Engine clockwise until you see the valves open and the Close. Turn a quarter turn after they Close and start cleaning. when youre done make sure the pocket is Clean and continue to the next cylinder with the same procedure until youre done
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #116
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatos View Post
They open together so look down the intake side on the head and turn the Engine clockwise until you see the valves open and the Close. Turn a quarter turn after they Close and start cleaning. when youre done make sure the pocket is Clean and continue to the next cylinder with the same procedure until youre done
Thanks. I was planning on using my little starter trigger. Should the valves be "up" or "down" in the chamber?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #117
Meatos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 -07

Quote:
Thanks. I was planning on using my little starter trigger. Should the valves be "up" or "down" in the chamber?
Up, you better be sure that they are closed when you begin cleaning or you will have a big problem, take a good look down the intake and turn the motor to understand when they are open and closed. You dont want to get it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #118
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
You can buy a button that you hook up to the starter and turn over the engine, or you can take a 1/2 drive with a socket and put it on the crank and turn it. You will feel the rotation of the engine and will know by how it felt (when you feel it give way) that the valves have opened or closed. If you do the latter, you will need to take out the engine fan.

You need a flash light to look into the intake valve. When you see not a lot of valve stem and the plate part of the valve up, it's closed. You can always test to see if it's closed by spraying either seafoam intake cleaner, or brake cleaner in the valve to see if it holds water so to speak. Obviously, if the valve is closed it will hold "water" much like a kitchen sink.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #119
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

You need a flash light to look into the intake valve. When you see not a lot of valve stem and the plate part of the valve up, it's closed. You can always test to see if it's closed by spraying either seafoam intake cleaner, or brake cleaner in the valve to see if it holds water so to speak. Obviously, if the valve is closed it will hold "water" much like a kitchen sink.
This is what I couldnt get my brain to figure out. Thanks much, just what I needed!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #120
KevinWaterloo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 White 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
You can buy a button that you hook up to the starter and turn over the engine, or you can take a 1/2 drive with a socket and put it on the crank and turn it. You will feel the rotation of the engine and will know by how it felt (when you feel it give way) that the valves have opened or closed. If you do the latter, you will need to take out the engine fan.
Just FYI in case it hasn't been mentioned earlier. You can also turn over the engine by turning the alternator pulley. Removing the cap in the center of the alternator pulley exposes a bolt that is easy to turn. I found that out on this site and used it when I cleaned my intake (manually). Much simpler than removing the fan or using the starter.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
OlliD28.50
      05-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #121
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Never thought of the alternator pulley method, good one, Kevin and thanks.

I've been reading this thread because I'll be doing the cleaning for my buddy's car. I have a garage full of tools, the blaster, and a 20-gal compressor. I've done this on the Mini Cooper S many times, just never done it on the N54.

Also, to add something useful for everyone here, the way I test to see if the valves are closed or not here's my way: I remove all the spark plugs to use that opening by feeding my vacuum tube into it. On my vacuum, I just have to make sure it's clean first, then I reverse the air flow so I can blow high volume air into the spark plug holes directly into the cylinder. On start, I'd do this through all cylinders to see which intake valves are completely closed, because you'll get no air coming out of the valve side, use you hand to feel it. I'd start walnut blasting with those closed valves first. Then when I get done, I'd go after the other valves by turning the crank, in this case, I'll adapt Kevin's method by turning the alternator, to set up the other un-cleaned valves. Now the only piece I'll need is the port adapter piece. I did modify an S-shaped coolant pipe to fit into a MK-6 VW Golf GTI port before. The vacuum works great, but the port match was poor, so it made a good mess despite being a little efficient. With the right adapter, it would save a ton of shell leaks or outside spraying for sure. If there's anyone needing this service done in Houston, TX, I don't mind to help on good weather weekends.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #122
Eagles3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 JCW clubman

Quote:
I think I have the most build up ever seen on my valves.
I used the BMW walnut blasting tools and a Harbor Freight $54 open air blaster. I used coarse grit first then fine grit. It made no mess at all. If anyone lives near me I can loan out the tools
I just did a full service
valve cover gasket
HPFP(because it failed)
oil filter housing gasket
Plugs
two new vanos(just because)
New charge pipe and BOV
Burger oil catch can

Thank you ECS Tuning
Hey brother...picking up an ‘09 JCW mini clubman this week and been doing a lot of reading about this. I’m 15 min from the ville and saw your post and not sure if you still have the supplies but I have the wherewithal to do it myself. Thought I’d ask if you still are able to loan out equipment for this?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #123
Jgd2y0
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i

Holy crap was this thread informative!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #124
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Long thread, don't really feel like going through every single comment but maybe someone can answer these two questions for me.

What is the consensus on using the cheap portable Harbor Freight abrasive blaster over the bigger 20 pound kits? Seems like some people have used it without issue

What about the 3D printed, plastic vacuum nozzles, are they any good? I've heard they're junk and break but I feel like $70 or whatever for the metal tool is a bit much. I'll get the metal one if needed but I wish I could just rent one for $10 or something to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #125
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Long thread, don't really feel like going through every single comment but maybe someone can answer these two questions for me.

What is the consensus on using the cheap portable Harbor Freight abrasive blaster over the bigger 20 pound kits? Seems like some people have used it without issue

What about the 3D printed, plastic vacuum nozzles, are they any good? I've heard they're junk and break but I feel like $70 or whatever for the metal tool is a bit much. I'll get the metal one if needed but I wish I could just rent one for $10 or something to be honest.
The cheap red Harbor Freight abrasive blaster worked fine for me. I modified the spray nozzle by getting a 12" long 1/4" dia brake line from NAPA and cut it down to 8" & 4". This brake line is flared on each end. I also had to add a small flat washer to make the flared end big enough to be captured by the nut on the end of the nozzle. The 8" piece of line worked good except for cylinder #6 and there I used the 4" nozzle.

I made my own vacuum attachment elbow using a 90 deg PVC pipe slip fit elbow (1" if I remember correctly). I heated one end with a heat gun to soften it and formed it into an oval shape to fit the head ports. I ended up doing a little filing and wrapping with paper tape to get a good snug fit in the head. Then I drilled a small hole in the back of the elbow to accept my spray nozzle 1/4" brake line. The other end of the PVC elbow fit onto the end of my shop vac hose and was held in place with duct tape.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #126
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
The cheap red Harbor Freight abrasive blaster worked fine for me. I modified the spray nozzle by getting a 12" long 1/4" dia brake line from NAPA and cut it down to 8" & 4". This brake line is flared on each end. I also had to add a small flat washer to make the flared end big enough to be captured by the nut on the end of the nozzle. The 8" piece of line worked good except for cylinder #6 and there I used the 4" nozzle.

I made my own vacuum attachment elbow using a 90 deg PVC pipe slip fit elbow (1" if I remember correctly). I heated one end with a heat gun to soften it and formed it into an oval shape to fit the head ports. I ended up doing a little filing and wrapping with paper tape to get a good snug fit in the head. Then I drilled a small hole in the back of the elbow to accept my spray nozzle 1/4" brake line. The other end of the PVC elbow fit onto the end of my shop vac hose and was held in place with duct tape.
Sounds like you MacGyvered the shit out of everything lol

So you're saying you used one of the red abrasive blasters? The portable one I was referring to is grey

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...kit-37025.html

Here's what I think you used?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-lbs...ter-68994.html

My question was in reference to the cheap portable one and whether or not that would work. The 20 pound unit looks like it would definitely work. I'm just running out of space for all my tools so I'm hoping I don't need this big ass abrasive blaster sitting around after only using it for a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #127
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, that is the one I used. I didn't realize they had a cheaper version. I'm not familiar with the grey one and can't comment on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #128
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like you MacGyvered the shit out of everything lol

So you're saying you used one of the red abrasive blasters? The portable one I was referring to is grey

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...kit-37025.html

Here's what I think you used?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-lbs...ter-68994.html

My question was in reference to the cheap portable one and whether or not that would work. The 20 pound unit looks like it would definitely work. I'm just running out of space for all my tools so I'm hoping I don't need this big ass abrasive blaster sitting around after only using it for a few hours.
I bought the portable one but haven’t used it yet. Several members here mentioned they’ve used it and it works fine...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #129
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
...I made my own vacuum attachment elbow using a 90 deg PVC pipe slip fit elbow (1" if I remember correctly). I heated one end with a heat gun to soften it and formed it into an oval shape to fit the head ports. I ended up doing a little filing and wrapping with paper tape to get a good snug fit in the head. Then I drilled a small hole in the back of the elbow to accept my spray nozzle 1/4" brake line. The other end of the PVC elbow fit onto the end of my shop vac hose and was held in place with duct tape.
Here are pictures of the 1" PVC pipe elbow that I used for the vacuum adapter to the head ports. I turned it so the Shop Vac hose would fit horizontally between the alternating intake manifold bolts. Once it was in place with the vacuum running, I didn't even need to hold it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #130
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Here are a couple photos of the results of my walnut cleaning. My valves were really grungy before I started cleaning. At the time, my car had >100,000 miles and I don't know if they had ever been cleaned (I bought the car with ~70,000 miles).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #131
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep

What about using a pancake compressor? I have a shitty little pancake compressor, I forget what compressor my father has although I don't think it is much better.

I don't mind buying tools that I will get use out of but a big ass compressor would be a waste unless I was doing a walnut blasting
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #132
ScottB4857
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black

Quote:
What about using a pancake compressor? I have a shitty little pancake compressor, I forget what compressor my father has although I don't think it is much better.

I don't mind buying tools that I will get use out of but a big ass compressor would be a waste unless I was doing a walnut blasting
You can use the little compressor as long as your willing to be very patient. You'll probably get 8-10 seconds of enough air pressure/volume to do any good. Then you'll have to wait for it to build pressure and repeat as necessary. Maybe it takes an extra 30-60 minutes, but you'll spend longer than that going to buy a compressor and getting it set up.