E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > reset code 578E (transmission fluid life)?

05-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST

reset code 578E (transmission fluid life)?

I have a 2008 328i with the GM automatic transmission and 115K miles. I don't have any error lights on the dash, but I scan it every so often using Carly for BMW. I have two transmission codes CF17 and 578E. I have given up on CF17. It's always there and I can't find any information about what it is or how to get rid of it. The other code 578E just started and seems like one I might be able to tackle.

I have found threads in other forums that say even though the fluid in this transmission is "lifetime" there is still some CBS monitor that will still report "status, lifetime gear oil 0%". One thread says they found a shop that was able to reset it to 100% and the code did not come back. Apparently they used a Autel Maxisys scan tool.

I changed the fluid and filter about 3K miles ago, so I know the fluid should still be good.

Anyone know what software or cheap scanner I need so I can do this myself. I have a K+DCAN cable and I have done some coding in the past but not enough to be proficient.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
ISTA+ can reset it. I noticed the setting when I was resetting the adaptions.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1023698
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post

I followed the link you posted for ISTA+. All the information there says that ISTA+ can only diagnose (read) the E90 and can't program it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzudave View Post
I followed the link you posted for ISTA+. All the information there says that ISTA+ can only diagnose (read) the E90 and can't program it.
It cannot program, but it can reset memories that are used for diagnostic and service.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
ISTA+ can't flash a module "program" (E series) nor change a config file "code" But it can reset things and kick off processes. Because of it's limited capability it is very safe to use.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post

Thanks. I followed the directions in the link you provided, but I was not able to get my cable to work with it. I was able to get an older version of ISTA working in a virtual machine. I stumbled around in the software and I think I was able to reset it. ISTA said the transmission oil life was at 9.8% before and after the reset. I was also able to check and clear some other codes. My daughter had to take the car right after I finished, so I was not able to double check and see if they reappeared. Thanks for the help.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gcC4ANeTROx3dvUs2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ve5vqRLrNMX3EF266
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
egybimmerdiy
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90 N52

Quote:
Thanks. I followed the directions in the link you provided, but I was not able to get my cable to work with it. I was able to get an older version of ISTA working in a virtual machine. I stumbled around in the software and I think I was able to reset it. ISTA said the transmission oil life was at 9.8% before and after the reset. I was also able to check and clear some other codes. My daughter had to take the car right after I finished, so I was not able to double check and see if they reappeared. Thanks for the help.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gcC4ANeTROx3dvUs2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ve5vqRLrNMX3EF266

Hi isuzudave, wondering if you have been able to solve your problem. I have the same problem too.

My car has 125K miles on it. About 15K miles ago I drained and replaced the trans fluid and changed the filter and gasket. I did not do a flush I just drained the fluid that was in the pan (just opened the drain plug and allowed the fluid to drain out). I followed the correct procedure when filling with new fluid (make sure car is leveled, make sure trans temp is between 30-50 C, shift through all the gears, fill with new BMW trans fluid till the fluid starts coming out of the fill plug, ...etc). The fluid that came didnt look burnt or bad. The magnet that was in the pan was also clean. I didnt do any computer or adaptation resets after I changed the fluid.

I changed the fluid preemptively i.e. I didn't have any problems with the trans before changing it. Until today I don't have any complaints about the trans. It feels very normal to me.

However, a week ago I started getting the error message 578E Transmission Fluid Deteriorate. I checked the trans fluid level. I followed the same procedure as above (level the car, get the trans to 30-50C, ...etc) but once I opened the fill plug nothing came out. So I pumped more trans fluid in there. It took about 8 Ounces (quarter of a 1 quart bottle) until the fluid started coming out of the fill plug. So it wasn't too low. There was also no leaking from the trans gasket.

Anyway I tried to reset the error message with Carly but it just keeps coming back as soon as I turn on the ignition even without driving or shifting.

Wondering if this is an indication of a trans problem that I need to get checked or is it just an error message that gets automatically triggered once the car hits a certain mileage. Could it perhaps be that after trans fluid change we need to reprogram the trans to tell it that there is no fluid kind of like the battery registration process when we install a new battery in the car?

Any insights would be very helpful.

Last edited by egybimmerdiy; 07-27-2018 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Impac
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Cf17 Message (torque request DSC) error from DSC, receiver DCT/EGS, transmitter DSC/DME-DDE
578e EGS: Gearbox oil: wear
Check on fluid level, also had a car with this isue once fluid was replaced again than software update coding and adaptation and error never came back
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by egybimmerdiy View Post
Hi isuzudave, wondering if you have been able to solve your problem. I have the same problem too.

My car has 125K miles on it. About 15K miles ago I drained and replaced the trans fluid and changed the filter and gasket. I did not do a flush I just drained the fluid that was in the pan (just opened the drain plug and allowed the fluid to drain out). I followed the correct procedure when filling with new fluid (make sure car is leveled, make sure trans temp is between 30-50 C, shift through all the gears, fill with new BMW trans fluid till the fluid starts coming out of the fill plug, ...etc). The fluid that came didnt look burnt or bad. The magnet that was in the pan was also clean. I didnt do any computer or adaptation resets after I changed the fluid.

I changed the fluid preemptively i.e. I didn't have any problems with the trans before changing it. Until today I don't have any complaints about the trans. It feels very normal to me.

However, a week ago I started getting the error message 578E Transmission Fluid Deteriorate. I checked the trans fluid level. I followed the same procedure as above (level the car, get the trans to 30-50C, ...etc) but once I opened the fill plug nothing came out. So I pumped more trans fluid in there. It took about 8 Ounces (quarter of a 1 quart bottle) until the fluid started coming out of the fill plug. So it wasn't too low. There was also no leaking from the trans gasket.

Anyway I tried to reset the error message with Carly but it just keeps coming back as soon as I turn on the ignition even without driving or shifting.

Wondering if this is an indication of a trans problem that I need to get checked or is it just an error message that gets automatically triggered once the car hits a certain mileage. Could it perhaps be that after trans fluid change we need to reprogram the trans to tell it that there is no fluid kind of like the battery registration process when we install a new battery in the car?

Any insights would be very helpful.
I was able to fix the 578E and CF17 code using ISTA. I don't remember exactly how. It's been a while since I did it and I don't use the software that often. The software is not very intuitive. It is written for people that have training on how to use it (BMW techs). I think I was able to click on the error message and then I followed some prompts. It has been a couple of months and the codes have not come back.

I also tried clearing the codes with Carly, but they would just reappear. If you have not done any coding before on your car, it might be easier to find someone locally that can do it or have it done remotely.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
egybimmerdiy
Rep

Quote:
I was able to fix the 578E and CF17 code using ISTA. I don't remember exactly how. It's been a while since I did it and I don't use the software that often. The software is not very intuitive. It is written for people that have training on how to use it (BMW techs). I think I was able to click on the error message and then I followed some prompts. It has been a couple of months and the codes have not come back.

I also tried clearing the codes with Carly, but they would just reappear. If you have not done any coding before on your car, it might be easier to find someone locally that can do it or have it done remotely.
Thanks!
Do you remember if you just erased the error message or did you do a full re-adaptation of the trany?
I can live with the error message showing up on Carly. Im just worried that I need to do a re-adaptation because I changed my fluid and if I dont do the re-adaptation I might end up damaging the trany.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #11
egybimmerdiy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impac View Post
Cf17 Message (torque request DSC) error from DSC, receiver DCT/EGS, transmitter DSC/DME-DDE
578e EGS: Gearbox oil: wear
Check on fluid level, also had a car with this isue once fluid was replaced again than software update coding and adaptation and error never came back
I read that after doing a re-adaptation that you have to follow a very specific driving procedure to adapt the car. It requires that you have many miles of uninterrupted road where you can speed, slow, shift gears, stop , ...etc according to a very specific timed procedure. I also read that if you do a re-adaptation without following this procedure you can damage the tranny.

Is that true? what was your experience?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #12
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by egybimmerdiy View Post
Thanks!
Do you remember if you just erased the error message or did you do a full re-adaptation of the trany?
I can live with the error message showing up on Carly. Im just worried that I need to do a re-adaptation because I changed my fluid and if I dont do the re-adaptation I might end up damaging the trany.
I don't remember exactly what I did. I know it was more than just simply clearing the codes. The software actually asked me some questions that I had to click through. I see at the bottom right of one of my pictures it says "calculate test plan". Maybe that was it.

I don't think I did a re-adaptation. If I did I did not do the driving portion. I think it just asked me if I replaced the transmission fluid and if I replaced the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #13
nilknarf
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 Rex

It's been a couple of years since the last post, but since I ran across this thread when trying to find an answer to the 578E code, I thought I'd post my solution. I've had this code for a while despite two previous ATF changes and I and was unable to reset it with my Zurich ZR13 reader. Following my most recent (3rd) ATF change, I was finally able to reset it using ISTA. I had to feel my way around a bit in the software before I found the right section. I saved a screenshot of the page that I used. Before I reset, the transmission oil said 0% life left and afterwards it said 100%. I've driven the car for a couple of weeks since and the code has not returned.
Name:  transmission oil life reset page.jpg
Views: 26082
Size:  155.2 KB
Appreciate 0