E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Turbo removal for e90 Xdrive

03-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
joni_titi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2012

Turbo removal for e90 Xdrive

Hi guys,

I've been looking thru the forum and the internet but i can't seem to find a detailed How to or DIY for removing the tubo on a Xdrive E90, I have found plenty for the RWD but nothing for or AWD version.

So if someone have seen one can you put the link here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Same as for RWD but you have a bigger subframe to remove.

I don't see why this guy dropped the steering rack.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087276
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joni_titi View Post
Hi guys,

I've been looking thru the forum and the internet but i can't seem to find a detailed How to or DIY for removing the tubo on a Xdrive E90, I have found plenty for the RWD but nothing for or AWD version.

Thanks
I have done the turbos in my xi and rwd on my back. For the XI you need to support the engine from the top and then drop the subframe by supporting the subframe with a jack and removing the 6 bolts that hold the subframe on. The subframe can hang there as is and nothing else needs to be disconnected (yes headlight level sensor needs to be disconnected). After this it becomes the same as the RWD turbo removal. For RWD I actually left the subframe in place and working around it only removing the 2 bolts for the steering rack. Once the subframe is out of the way the difficult part begins.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
2008-335xi-N54-E92
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 530i e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by joni_titi View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks
There is no need to remove subframe or wheel or steering on an Xi. I have a 2008 335xi AWD and I've done it differently by leaving the front tires in place not removing any steering pinions at all. Engine was supported from the ground with a standard scissor jack sitting on top is a brick for height.

Now what i did is different then what every one has done and that is......I cut out a small piece of the rear flat subframe that isn't supporting anything at all.

Now do this at your own risk and I will it be liable but for me it's so easier and I tack weld the piece I cut out back since I have a welder. I'm planning on cutting out the entire flat piece completely and replace it when another flat steel by using a self trap screw to bolt it back onto place which I can remove it again in the future when I have to replace my turbo or any problems that require me to get in that area but eliminating the need to remove the sub frame and all the 1,000 pieces that goes along with it.

See photos of the piece I cut and that is all it takes to avoid all that work.

This is bmw most dumbest flaw that causes their car owners thousands of dollars to have a shop spend so much time disassemble an entire subframe just to make a tiny room.

This flat piece of metal supports nothing major other then the under belly plastic guard other then that it's stupid. If you choose to go this route like me you don't need to weld it just simply add another flat piece of metal that is 3-4 inches longer on each end and pre drill a hole or use self taller screws and secure it back and that's it. This way you can open it up again and again avoiding the stupid sub frame removal.

I only cut through the black painted piece and not through the second piece of aluminum heat shield that sits right on top of that. I mean I did cut a few holes on the top piece but it doesn't do any harm. After I remove the piece I cut I bend the aluminum heat shied downward all the way and out of the way completely. When I'm done I simply bend it back with a hammer and it's fine.

Cutting out 12 inches right under the primary catylic converter pipe will give you more then enough room to slide both cats and both complete turbos right down. I know because this is how I remove and install both my turbos saving 70% of the disassemble work. The 30% of work left is removing the turbo and lines which is a breeze to me.
Attached Images

04-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Turbo removal for e90 Xdrive

Kudos to the last poster, that's a pretty amazing solution.
If you PM me your email address, I'll send you my full detailed peocedure, which basically consists of removing everything. I find that so much easier than working around it.
Mine is an N54; if you have an N55, there will obviously be differences.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Does this weaken the subframe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-335xi-N54-E92 View Post
There is no need to remove subframe or wheel or steering on an Xi. I have a 2008 335xi AWD and I've done it differently by leaving the front tires in place not removing any steering pinions at all. Engine was supported from the ground with a standard scissor jack sitting on top is a brick for height.

Now what i did is different then what every one has done and that is......I cut out a small piece of the rear flat subframe that isn't supporting anything at all.

Now do this at your own risk and I will it be liable but for me it's so easier and I tack weld the piece I cut out back since I have a welder. I'm planning on cutting out the entire flat piece completely and replace it when another flat steel by using a self trap screw to bolt it back onto place which I can remove it again in the future when I have to replace my turbo or any problems that require me to get in that area but eliminating the need to remove the sub frame and all the 1,000 pieces that goes along with it.

This is bmw most dumbest flaw that causes their car owners thousands of dollars to have a shop spend so much time disassemble an entire subframe just to make a tiny room.

This flat piece of metal supports nothing major other then the under belly plastic guard other then that it's stupid. If you choose to go this route like me you don't need to weld it just simply add another flat piece of metal that is 3-4 inches longer on each end and pre drill a hole or use self taller screws and secure it back and that's it. This way you can open it up again and again avoiding the stupid sub frame removal.

I only cut through the black painted piece and not through the second piece of aluminum heat shield that sits right on top of that. I mean I did cut a few holes on the top piece but it doesn't do any harm. After I remove the piece I cut I bend the aluminum heat shied downward all the way and out of the way completely. When I'm done I simply bend it back with a hammer and it's fine.

Cutting out 12 inches right under the primary catylic converter pipe will give you more then enough room to slide both cats and both complete turbos right down. I know because this is how I remove and install both my turbos saving 70% of the disassemble work. The 30% of work left is removing the turbo and lines which is a breeze to me.
      04-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
JordanD12
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-335xi-N54-E92 View Post

That was really helpful thank you, will definitely save a lot of time and hassle when I want to replace my turbos in the future.

Last edited by JordanD12; 04-27-2020 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Misspell
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor04 View Post
Does this weaken the subframe?
That is a brace for at that part of the car that stiffens the frame. I would have never cut it.
Appreciate 0