E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Route 66 Warranty - Great Experience

05-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
J90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Route 66 Warranty - Great Experience

Hi there,

Just thought i'd log this in case anyone needed feedback on Route 66 warranties. I've owned a 2008 E93 335i with higher miles (82k at purchase) for a little over a year now. When I bought the car, I financed through Penfed and they had an add-on of a Route 66 warranty. Cost was just under 2k and I just rounded up my payment a bit to pay for it.

Anyway, I just had my car throw an overheat message last weekend and I had it towed to the nearest dealer. The warranty paid for towing, the repair on the car (water pump) and the stealer also found the oil filter housing had a leak, so they got that fixed too.

This bill was right at $2k and I previously had a valve cover leak fixed by them too. So far, they've paid out over $2600 and it has been effortless -- no negotiations, denials of claims, nothing. I just drop the car off at the dealer and it comes back fixed. There is no deductible, but you do pay for the tax on the parts. Its been surprising to me that oil leaks have been covered by them so easily without any pushback.

I double checked with them before purchasing it if they covered the convertible top and they do. For them to warranty a twin-turbo BMW convertible with high miles is pretty cool.

I highly recommend this warranty!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Great to know! I financed my 07 335i though penfed and bought the Route 66 warranty as well. So far, my car has gone from 50->70k miles with almost no issues...

I honestly bought the warranty under the assumption the water pump would go out before 100k miles, which pays for most of the warranty cost.

I am going to get the first chance to try it out in two weeks because I just got a P0128 error, which is likely a stuck open thermostat.

I will also ask the dealer to check for leaks around the filter housing, it looks like there could be a bit of seepage around there... basically tell them to find anything that looks wrong and is covered.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

How long is your warranty with them?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
How long is your warranty with them?
When I got mine a couple years ago it was 5 years or until you reach 100k miles.

Since I bought the car with about 50k miles, it was equivalently 5 years/50k miles for about $2k. Not sure if the price is still the same.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
When I got mine a couple years ago it was 5 years or until you reach 100k miles.

Since I bought the car with about 50k miles, it was equivalently 5 years/50k miles for about $2k. Not sure if the price is still the same.
that's actually reasonable, i'll remind myself to call monday and ask for 200k coverage
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

Its $2,395 not but its still one of the best warranties around. I just bought it for my '10 335. So far no issues.. but just the peace of mind with the warranty is worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
J90
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry to take a while getting back. My warranty was 3 year/36k as my car had 80k when i bought it. If it has lower miles, you can get 5 yr to 100k.

Quote:
I am going to get the first chance to try it out in two weeks because I just got a P0128 error, which is likely a stuck open thermostat.
They will definitely handle this, no problem. If you have a relationship with a BMW service provider, ask them if they will replace the water pump too. The PO on my car had a thermo go out around 70k and they didn't do the water pump as there was no error, but if its NOT a BMW warranty, they might be more willing to fudge things. if not, find an indy who will. The only reason i say this is its ridiculous to not change the water pump while you are in there and it will break later, leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

From my experience, a lot starts happening from 80-100k (water pump, oil cannister leaks, valve cover gasket leaks, etc.) and its great to have this warranty. I was very surprised they've covered all these gasket leaks with not an ounce of protest.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
J90
Private First Class
Rep

Oh, last thing: make sure you write down their towing phone # or put it in your phone. I didn't have the right # when my water pump went out, so I had to pay extra mileage charges to AAA. Route 66 will reimburse up to $50 and my charge came to $53. If I was out in the sticks somewhere, this could have hurt.

They cover rental cars too, but I didn't get one and they covered my uber fare to pick up my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Sorry to take a while getting back. My warranty was 3 year/36k as my car had 80k when i bought it. If it has lower miles, you can get 5 yr to 100k.

They will definitely handle this, no problem. If you have a relationship with a BMW service provider, ask them if they will replace the water pump too. The PO on my car had a thermo go out around 70k and they didn't do the water pump as there was no error, but if its NOT a BMW warranty, they might be more willing to fudge things. if not, find an indy who will. The only reason i say this is its ridiculous to not change the water pump while you are in there and it will break later, leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

From my experience, a lot starts happening from 80-100k (water pump, oil cannister leaks, valve cover gasket leaks, etc.) and its great to have this warranty. I was very surprised they've covered all these gasket leaks with not an ounce of protest.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I will see about the water pump when I take it in, but it is probably a no-go unless there are some phantom codes hinting its failing.

I know about the water pump issues and started this thread to try to quantify it a bit:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807187

I will try to update my experience when in two weeks when I take it in.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
J90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I will see about the water pump when I take it in, but it is probably a no-go unless there are some phantom codes hinting its failing.

I know about the water pump issues and started this thread to try to quantify it a bit:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807187

I will try to update my experience when in two weeks when I take it in.
I hear you on the lack of codes, but the techs are not above reporting false info to the warranty company. I know this as my work order said "customer reports oil level light is on" as justification to fix my oil cannister leak. however, that was not the case and i had no idea it was leaking, so they 100% fudged that. I don't condone this, but on the water pump it simply will fail later and if they replace it now, it saves them duplicate labor, a towing bill and you a lot of grief. My morals are flexible enough to justify that.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Got my car back today, and the experience was a bit hit or miss.

1. Took the car in on Saturday, and although R66 is not open on Saturday, they said they have a small staff to return call for warranty authorization. My dealer called early in the day and never got a response, so they couldn't fix my car that day. Fortunately I got a loaner.

2. The dealer did not get authorization until Thursday, and as far as I can tell did not return the dealer's original message for repair authorization. I talked to R66 and they said they were "really busy" with summer and people driving more. Pretty shitty excuse.

3. My dealer submitted for the thermostat replacement (clearly bad) and the oil filter housing housing gasket.
- They covered the thermostat replacement (part + 2.1 hr @ $140/hr) but would not cover the diagnostic fee ($130) or the fluids (~$30). Of course the dealer had to charge the diag fee even though I told them the problem.
- They would not cover the OFH gasket, and require oil consumption tracking in order to justify. Basically look at the oil level and monitor over a 1000 miles or something. They said they would require a similar vetting for the valve cover gasket. I suppose if it was a catastrophic leak they would cover it.

In the end, I had to pay about $160 out of pocket and wait 4 days to get the thermostat done, and did not get the OFH gasket replaced. R66 covered about $440.

Despite the preference to take it to a dealer for warranty work (if for no other reason than a loaner), I may go the independent route with future claims (unless it seems like something major). Having to pay a sizable diagnostic fee at a dealer kind of defeats the purpose for a clear problem.

I would also recommend to anyone to always take the car in on a weekday to have a better chance of getting the authorization ASAP.

I am glad I have the warranty, but my first experience was not the best.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Got my car back today, and the experience was a bit hit or miss.

1. Took the car in on Saturday, and although R66 is not open on Saturday, they said they have a small staff to return call for warranty authorization. My dealer called early in the day and never got a response, so they couldn't fix my car that day. Fortunately I got a loaner.

2. The dealer did not get authorization until Thursday, and as far as I can tell did not return the dealer's original message for repair authorization. I talked to R66 and they said they were "really busy" with summer and people driving more. Pretty shitty excuse.

3. My dealer submitted for the thermostat replacement (clearly bad) and the oil filter housing housing gasket.
- They covered the thermostat replacement (part + 2.1 hr @ $140/hr) but would not cover the diagnostic fee ($130) or the fluids (~$30). Of course the dealer had to charge the diag fee even though I told them the problem.
- They would not cover the OFH gasket, and require oil consumption tracking in order to justify. Basically look at the oil level and monitor over a 1000 miles or something. They said they would require a similar vetting for the valve cover gasket. I suppose if it was a catastrophic leak they would cover it.

In the end, I had to pay about $160 out of pocket and wait 4 days to get the thermostat done, and did not get the OFH gasket replaced. R66 covered about $440.

Despite the preference to take it to a dealer for warranty work (if for no other reason than a loaner), I may go the independent route with future claims (unless it seems like something major). Having to pay a sizable diagnostic fee at a dealer kind of defeats the purpose for a clear problem.

I would also recommend to anyone to always take the car in on a weekday to have a better chance of getting the authorization ASAP.

I am glad I have the warranty, but my first experience was not the best.

Generally speaking, after-market warranty companies want a fault code for the issue. So even if its clear as day EX: misfire. They want the fault code still. And technicians are paid flat rate. Someone has to pay to retrieve the fault. Even then the warranty company may or may not send out an inspector to verify the complaint. Not all after-market warranty are made equally. Some only cover a certain hourly rate, wont cover leaks unless its active, wont cover sensor. Etc
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I understand, I was mostly annoyed by not getting a quick response to the dealer.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #14
J90
Private First Class
Rep

Artmasterx Sorry to hear about your meh experience. In reading your description, it sounds like the dealership was trying to steal from you and being very weak with the warranty company. If you already had the code and it was obvious what was broken, they just were gouging you for an extra $160. The warranty states they don't pay for fluids.

I usually diagnose the problem/pull codes myself (like you did) and tell the service advisor that I don't want to pay diagnostics fees since we are 80+% sure what it is. I think by me making it clear I am not going to roll over on extra fees, they seem to go after route 66 for their stealing. Either that or its just been dumb luck so far. regardless, Route 66 has paid out more than the cost of the warranty already 1 year into it, so I'm happy.

Whatever the case, I'd find a new service advisor and/or dealership. they aren't helping you.

Hope you have better luck next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #15
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Yeah, like I said I will probably find a different option for next time. There are a couple of good independents around and several other dealers within an hour, so I have options. If they would have responded promptly, I would be moderately happy. Besides the delay, I can't really fault Route 66 in this case.

It still has 3 years and 29k miles to go, so I am sure I will get a chance to try them out again...

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:42 AM   #16
newnovice
Rep
Drives: 2003 325I

Quote:
Yeah, like I said I will probably find a different option for next time. There are a couple of good independents around and several other dealers within an hour, so I have options. If they would have responded promptly, I would be moderately happy. Besides the delay, I can't really fault Route 66 in this case.

It still has 3 years and 29k miles to go, so I am sure I will get a chance to try them out again...
So you got the thermostat replaced but not the water pump? Any shop doing the job will advice you do both since labor will rack up the next time you need the pump done.

I had pump and thermostat done at 55K miles and now at 105, it seems the thermostart is stuck open with P0128. All shops want to do both thermostat and pump at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnovice View Post
So you got the thermostat replaced but not the water pump? Any shop doing the job will advice you do both since labor will rack up the next time you need the pump done.

I had pump and thermostat done at 55K miles and now at 105, it seems the thermostart is stuck open with P0128. All shops want to do both thermostat and pump at the same time!
This is incorrect. It's the other way around. There are no labor savings to replace a water pump during a t-stat replacement. The t-stat can be removed from the car without removing the water pump. The t-stat is bolted to the water pump and has to come off first before the pump is removed. The pump can remain in place for a t-stat replacement. Not all water pumps fail. The updated part introduced in 2008 is more reliable than the early model pumps. There is no reason to replace a water pump unless it fails or starts throwing trouble codes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0