E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC Navigation Reset

01-07-2018, 01:56 AM   #1
tacaza
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

CIC Navigation Reset

Since my CIC has some errors (unable to read CD/DVD, USB, cannot detect HDD), I'm going to reset the CIC (hold the volume button 30s) but don't know whether it affects to bluetooth streaming function? Is this the default function or I need to re-code after resetting?

My bim is E90 320i 2011 with Idrive, CIC navi. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaza View Post
Since my CIC has some errors (unable to read CD/DVD, USB, cannot detect HDD), I'm going to reset the CIC (hold the volume button 30s) but don't know whether it affects to bluetooth streaming function? Is this the default function or I need to re-code after resetting?

Dont think it does much its worth a try
      01-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:

It only hard powers the CIC. Coding will remain the same.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
It only hard powers the CIC. Coding will remain the same.
I tested and everything remains as before, even bluetooth contacts. No errors fixed

I'm wondering it's a bullshit function from BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

if it cannot detect the hdd, you may be screwed as it will not do anything until that is complete. If it cannot detect HDD then the hdd may be bad and that is a pita..
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
if it cannot detect the hdd, you may be screwed as it will not do anything until that is complete. If it cannot detect HDD then the hdd may be bad and that is a pita..
If you can find a member with the same model CIC you can just buy a cheap hard drive and clone it. There's instructions on how you can even upgrade to a solid state one to get better responsiveness (im told)
      01-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
If you can find a member with the same model CIC you can just buy a cheap hard drive and clone it. There's instructions on how you can even upgrade to a solid state one to get better responsiveness (im told)
Yes, but pita!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but pita!
Not really.

It took all of 8 minutes to remove mine the first time I did this and another 5 to reinstall. It was far easier than I thought it would be.

On a 2011 (like his) you do not need to remove the CIC. The procedure is well documented on the threads about upgrading your HDD to an SSD which I did.

What took the longest was cloning the drive.

He may need to obtain a drive image from someone else then deal with the FSC codes. The latter is a PITA if you don't already have a copy of your own drive.

He could be lucky too.

His drive may be suffering from striction.

If so you can pull the drive and as you apply power spin the case in the same orientation as the platter spins. Sometimes this is enough to get it to spin up and be cloned. I've done this with failing drives.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Not really.

It took all of 8 minutes to remove mine the first time I did this and another 5 to reinstall. It was far easier than I thought it would be.

On a 2011 (like his) you do not need to remove the CIC.

He may need to obtain a drive image then deal with the fsc codes. The latter is a PITA if you don't already have a copy of your own drive.

He could be lucky too.

If so you can pull the drive and as you apply power spin the case in the same orientation as the platter spins. Sometimes this is enough to get it to spin up and be cloned.
That is the point, he may have a dead drive, that is why it is a pita.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #10
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Not really.

On a 2011 (like his) you do not need to remove the CIC.

He may need to obtain a drive image then deal with the fsc codes. The latter is a PITA if you don't already have a copy of your own drive.

He could be lucky too.

If so you can pull the drive and as you apply power spin the case in the same orientation as the platter spins. Sometimes this is enough to get it to spin up and be cloned.
That is the point, he may have a dead drive, that is why it is a pita.
Paying for another CIC is more of a pain so ... it's all relative
      01-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Below are the detailed errors:

1. Checking... No song is played
The fault happens with all the CD/DVD disks, but these disks are played well on my friend's E90 car.

2. USB port in the glove box doesn't work
- When I use import/export from USB function, it displays "please connect USB device to interface in glove box" although the usb in there.
- This usb is formatted with FAT 32, the file extension is mp3, max 320kbps, in the root directory and only 1 file.
- This usb is played well on my friend's E90 car.
- This usb port can charge the phone normally.

3. HDD no info
- When access to Music collection, everything is grayed out
- When access to Memory available, it displays "No info"
- When deleting Music collection, it displays "Function currently not available"

- I remove the 80Gb Toshiba HDD and check it in the Linux computer, everything is ok. I can read the content (partition, music...) of HDD
- Since the laptop HDD now is very cheap, I also clone successfully this HDD to another 120GB HDD, but the same errors with this new HDD

Moreover, Bluetooth audio streaming and Aux in the Arm rest work well. There's no USB port in the Arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
There's something amiss there. Looks like either yours is corrupt or your CIC is faulty as its not reading the volume. It might be worth finding another CIC image on line and trying that??

Id google BMW CIC HDD Image
      01-08-2018, 01:52 AM   #13
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not really.

On a 2011 (like his) you do not need to remove the CIC. The procedure is well documented on the threads about upgrading your HDD to an SSD which I did.

He may need to obtain a drive image from someone else then deal with the FSC codes. The latter is a PITA if you don't already have a copy of your own drive.

He could be lucky too.

If so you can pull the drive and as you apply power spin the case in the same orientation as the platter spins. Sometimes this is enough to get it to spin up and be cloned. I've done this with failing drives.
Yes, mine is 2011 LCI so I can pull the drive without CIC removal. And clone successfully to new drive but the errors haven't been fixed yet.

I don't understand your meaning in red, pls clarify.

P/S: what is PITA???
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #14
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
There's something amiss there. Looks like either yours is corrupt or your CIC is faulty as its not reading the volume. It might be worth finding another CIC image on line and trying that??

Id google BMW CIC HDD Image
It's really hard to find the Image online due to its size. Only 2 sources, 1 from torrent but unable to download and fortunately the other from google drive. I'm downloading it and hope it works

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 02:07 AM   #15
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Good luck ! Let us know how it goes !!
      01-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #16
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
P/S: what is PITA???
PITA= Pain in the ass.
      01-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #17
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
I cloned the Image to the new Hitachi 160Gb drive, installed in the CIC and nothing changed

I hear that almost Images on the internet are for US/EU, but my car is Asia. So it won't compatible. Moreover, there's a VIN-specific key in the partition 10 of the Image (I not know which one is partition 10) and this key needs to be modified before install to my CIC.

Any suggestion guys?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #18
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I cloned the Image to the new Hitachi 160Gb drive, installed in the CIC and nothing changed

I hear that almost Images on the internet are for US/EU, but my car is Asia. So it won't compatible. Moreover, there's a VIN-specific key in the partition 10 of the Image (I not know which one is partition 10) and this key needs to be modified before install to my CIC.

Any suggestion guys?
What did you use to clone the drive?

Even using an image from someone else's drive should have made the music partition reappear.

Prior locales do not impact the music/radio partition working.

Navigation should have stopped working because of the mismatched "VIN" as you put it... actually the mismatched FSC code.

If your old drive appears in Linux you should save it to an image right away.

I used the DD command in Linux to clone mine.

Remember that not all software works properly for this, likewise not all drives work. Also if the drive was previously used and had a partition table or boot sector installed it may also fail.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:

Even using an image from someone else's drive should have made the music partition reappear.

Navigation should have stopped working because of the mismatched "VIN" as you put it... actually the mismatched FSC code.

Remember that not all software works properly for this, likewise not all drives work. Also if the drive was previously used and had a partition table or boot sector installed it may also fail.
Tks for your warning. I already saved the image of original HDD to my computer using Acronis True Image software.

For cloning the disk, I tried 2 ways but both fail to fix the errors:
1. Use a software to clone (sector by sector) the original 80GB Toshiba to 160GB Hitachi.
2. Download the Image on the internet and clone to 160GB Hitachi above
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #20
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Tks for your warning. I already saved the image of original HDD to my computer using Acronis True Image software.

For cloning the disk, I tried 2 ways but both fail to fix the errors:
1. Use a software to clone (sector by sector) the original 80GB Toshiba to 160GB Hitachi.
2. Download the Image on the internet and clone to 160GB Hitachi above
Offhand I don't recall if drives greater than 120+ gb work.

In one of the other threads there was some talk of that.

I used a 120gb drive as specified "working".

Acronis has produced mixed results.

If the old drive spins up and is seen in Linux without problems, then there may be further issues with the CIC.

Keep that old drive no matter what you do. You may be able to plug it into a used replacement unit and not have to deal with FSC codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #21
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

If Linux isn't giving you any problems reading the drive, and there are no smart errors, its likely not the drive. To rule it out, you could get a drive that is known compatible, and copy your disk to that drive.

I have personally confirmed that the amazon mSATA adapter (https://www.amazon.com/mSATA-SSD-con...5431391&sr=8-4) works with the CIC, and a number of forum users have confirmed that the Zheino SSD also works in the CIC (https://www.amazon.com/Zheino-128gb-...5431395&sr=8-1)

The list below is for the NBT, but to give you an idea of how picky the CIC/NBT are: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...44#post9878844

Quote:
WORKING MODELS
- TOSHIBA HDD MK3265GSX series
- TOSHIBA HDD HDWJ105EZSTA series (500Gb model)
- TOSHIBA HDD MQ01ABD100 series (also 250, 320 and 500Gb model)

NOT COMPATIBLE
- TOSHIBA SSD Q300 Series
- SAMSUNG SSD 830 series
- SAMSUNG SSD 840 series
- KINGSTON SSD SSDNow V300 series
- CRUCIAL SSD BX200 series
- SANDISK SSD UltraPlus series (reported by TokenMaster)
- HITACHI HDD 7K500-500
- WD HDD WD2500LPLX Black Series
- SEAGATE HDD Momentus 7200.4 Series
- SEAGATE HDD Momentus 5400.5 Series
If you want to test your drive, mount it in a QNX VM and run the following to check consistency. If all of them come back clean, it likely isn't your image.

Code:
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.1
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.2
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.3
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.4
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.5
The CIC itself isn't difficult to disassemble, so prior to purchasing a new one, you could always try disassembling it and seeing if there are any loose connections or broken cables.

If your CIC does require replacement, you will need to code it for your vehicle, which will likely include: Changing the Vehicle Order on the CIC, updating the CIC FSC, and changing the region.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-09-2018, 02:32 AM   #22
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagaer View Post
If Linux isn't giving you any problems reading the drive, and there are no smart errors, its likely not the drive. To rule it out, you could get a drive that is known compatible, and copy your disk to that drive.

I have personally confirmed that the amazon mSATA adapter (https://www.amazon.com/mSATA-SSD-con...5431391&sr=8-4) works with the CIC, and a number of forum users have confirmed that the Zheino SSD also works in the CIC (https://www.amazon.com/Zheino-128gb-...5431395&sr=8-1)

The list below is for the NBT, but to give you an idea of how picky the CIC/NBT are: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...44#post9878844

If you want to test your drive, mount it in a QNX VM and run the following to check consistency. If all of them come back clean, it likely isn't your image.

Code:
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.1
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.2
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.3
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.4
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.5
The CIC itself isn't difficult to disassemble, so prior to purchasing a new one, you could always try disassembling it and seeing if there are any loose connections or broken cables.

If your CIC does require replacement, you will need to code it for your vehicle, which will likely include: Changing the Vehicle Order on the CIC, updating the CIC FSC, and changing the region.
Tks guy, I'll try to figure out. If it's cable connection problem, this should be best news of the year

In case of CIC replacement, if I remove my original HDD and install it to the new CIC, do I need to code it?
Appreciate 0