E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Super confused by my misfire / fueling issues, need help!

03-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

Super confused by my misfire / fueling issues, need help!

Hey guys,

So I've owned the car now for close to 6 years and have been able to diagnose and repair nearly every problem I have had up until now. This latest issue has been getting more and more confusing the more I troubleshoot so I definitely need some help on this one.

Car: 2011 N55 E92 Xdrive, Catless DP, AE Exhaust, BMS Intake, Vishnu Chargepipe, JB4 MHD BEF (has been removed as of recent).

I'm going to start from the beginning (and will keep it short) before I get into the most recent issues. All these issues originated when I decided to move from my stock JB4 firmware to the latest ISO version. After updating to the latest version I was feeling a fluctuating in the power during highway cruising. Terry suggested I replace my JB4 board and so I did. This didnt seem to fix my issue and Terry wasn't able to spot anything odd with the logs. So he suggested I flash the MHD BEF and see how things go. So I did this and the car did feel as though it was running better when cruising but it seemed to have opened up a pandoras box of other issues/codes.

When I flashed the MHD BEF I also replaced all my plugs and coils. Again car felt better, especially when cruising, but under WOT pulls the car would go into a bad limp mode and basically leave the car undrivable until the codes are cleared.

The codes I received were as follows:
36BE - DME encoding error
2C90 - Blow off valve mechanics - ignore, tuner code
3106 - catless dp installed
2EFE - Misfire several cylinders
2F04 - Misfire, Cylinder 6
2EE0 - Combustion misfiring, several cylinders: Fuel injection deactivation
2EF4 - Combustion misfiring, cylinder 6: Fuel injection deactivation

I have logs of this happening, nothing seems to stand out to me and Terry wasnt able to spot any smoking guns.

To troubleshoot these codes I flashed back to my stock map and removed my JB4. I realized after flashing back to stock the 36BE code was still there and I was able to clear this using MHD and it hasnt come back yet. When I flashed back to stock I also swapped the cylinder 6 coil pack with cylinder 1 to see if that moved the misfire issues to cylinder 1.

After going back to stock I started the car and immediately received these codes (the car wasn't even moved, just started):
2C58 - Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequence
2CA3 - Wastegate valve, activation: Line disconnection
and also these two "Dme Shadow codes"
2BDE - Fuel high pressure during fuel injection release: Pressure too low.
2BF0 - Unsure of what this one means

The car also showed a "reduced engine power" message on the idrive. I cleared the codes and let the car sit for the night. Before I started the car I cleared all adaptations via the MHD app. When started the two 2CXX codes came back but the shadow codes did not. Car was also in reduced power mode. I drove the car to work and it seemed to run fine but it was not building any boost. I was able to roll thru 3rd and 4th gear without getting any additional codes or any misfires.

After work I started the car and the 2C58 and 2CA3 codes were still there. Even after I would clear them they would come right back when the car was started. Drove the car home in the reduced power state and stopped at Autozone to grab some Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and some injector cleaner.

When I came out of autozone the codes were still there (i didnt clear them prior to going into autozone) and the shadow codes (2BDE, 2BF0) came back. Interestingly enough the "Reduced power" warning went away and the car was driving better and building boost again.

Got home turned the car off for a bit and let it sit. Took it out for a run a little while later and was able to get it to misfire at the top of a 3rd gear pull near 6-6.5K rpm. Again cylinder 6. Complete list of codes is below:

2C58 - charging pressure control: switch-off as consequence
2CA3 - Wastegate valve, activation: Line Disconnection
2EE0 - Combustion misfiring, several cylinders: Fuel injection deactivation
2EF4 - Combustion misfiring, cylinder 6: Fuel injection deactivation
2EFE - Misfire several cylinders: Damaging to catalytic converter
2F04 - Misfire, Cylinder 6
3106 - Catalytic converter: efficiency below limit (catless dp code)

As well as these DME Shadow Codes:
2BDE - Fuel high pressure during fuel injection release: Pressure too low
2BF0 - unsure
2EF7 - DME: Map thermostat, activation

So I'm really at a loss of where to go from here. I have ruled out the coil packs since the misfire has stayed on cylinder 6. I guess my next move is to swap the spark plug from cylinder 6 with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows. I doubt this is the issue as these are basically brand new plugs. I threw some injection cleaner in the tank tonight with hopes that may clean up any gunk I have in my injectors. I am also going to take out my MAF and MAP sensors to clean them.

I would really hate to go thru and replace the injectors or hpfp to find out in the end that it wasn't the cause of the issues. It doesn't seem like theres a definitive fix for any of these error codes I've been receiving let alone all of them combined.

So please any suggestions on things I could try or things I should do before I replace any more parts? I would really appreciate any help on this one.

Edit 3/19/19 - My last 2 logs from before I pulled the JB4 are now attached.
https://datazap.me/u/chrisrav95/log-1552102569
https://datazap.me/u/chrisrav95/log-...log=0&data=1-4

Last edited by Chris_Rav; 03-19-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

TLDR, you didn't post a log for anyone to look at. My guess is you are overboosting and running out of fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

How much mileage do you have? when was the last time your injectors were changed?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #4
deemarr 335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i performance edition

I'm having same issues exactly how yours is described and have no clue what it is, I have brand new injectors and ekp, new plugs and coils and primary 02 sensor. Mine gave issues a day after flashing mhd burble map but I always had the backend flash with jb4 and never had issues. Gonna follow your thread closely, maybe we can help each other out. I'm now wondering if it's the mass air flow sensor or lpfp or hpfp, both which I've changed last summer. Also my logs look fine no fuel pressure crashing or timing drops.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
The Silver Slammer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

What spark plugs do you have in it? I had a very similar experience (almost new fcp euro bosch replacement spark plugs). Turns out it was a aftermarket Bosch spark plugs. Went back to BMW spark plugs and never had an issue since.

I would try to first change #6 spark plug with a GENUINE BMW plug see if that fixes it. Its a $20 test but easy and requires nothing but a little of your time and elbow grease.

Oh, logs help too to determine fueling, but I'm guessing its not fueling issue.
2019 X7 XDRIVE 40I - Wife's

Last edited by The Silver Slammer; 03-14-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Zygote55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Swapping spark plug and coil is the easy and free option you should try, but I don't think that's your problem based on the "Pressure Too Low" code. After that I'd look at replacing the injector in cylinder 6 before doing the HPFP...

I had a similar problem you can read here -
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=24323908
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
The Silver Slammer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygote55 View Post
Swapping spark plug and coil is the easy and free option you should try, but I don't think that's your problem based on the "Pressure Too Low" code. After that I'd look at replacing the injector in cylinder 6 before doing the HPFP...

I had a similar problem you can read here -
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=24323908
Seems like your solution to your problem was to just throw parts at it til it stopped giving you those codes. That sucks, I almost made the same mistake.

I would try to replace or move the spark plugs around to see if the misfire follows.

During a misfire the DME cuts fueling to that cylinder to prevent further damage. Thus the shadow code Pressure too Low.

Spark plugs $18-20 each vs $100 injector.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
Zygote55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Slammer View Post
Seems like your solution to your problem was to just throw parts at it til it stopped giving you those codes. That sucks, I almost made the same mistake.

I would try to replace or move the spark plugs around to see if the misfire follows.

During a misfire the DME cuts fueling to that cylinder to prevent further damage. Thus the shadow code Pressure too Low.

Spark plugs $18-20 each vs $100 injector.
You tease me for throwing parts at it until the codes stopped (which is true), then you recommend OP throw parts at his problem until the codes stop... I wouldn't buy a new spark plug because that's likely not the problem. If you want to validate it's not the spark plug just swap #6 and #1 and see if the misfire follows the plug.

I don't see how you'll get pressure too low when DME is cutting fuel to an injector. I was getting pressure too low because the injector continued to leak fuel into the cylinder AFTER the DME cut fuel. It would also leak when the car was off, which caused the fuel pressure in the rail to drop and throw a pressure too low at start code.

Anyway, run the car for a bit, then pull the spark plug on cylinder 6. Does it have fuel on it? Does it smell like fuel? You need a new injector.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
The Silver Slammer
Private First Class
Rep

You're right, I did, but that's because I'm assuming they are after market spark plugs. And also cause a spark plug is $20...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #10
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
TLDR, you didn't post a log for anyone to look at. My guess is you are overboosting and running out of fuel.
Logs are now posted. Let me know if anything stands out to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreQonE View Post
How much mileage do you have? when was the last time your injectors were changed?
Mileage is around 104K. I bought the car at roughly 24K but to the best of my knowledge the injectors have never been changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Slammer View Post
What spark plugs do you have in it? I had a very similar experience (almost new fcp euro bosch replacement spark plugs). Turns out it was a aftermarket Bosch spark plugs. Went back to BMW spark plugs and never had an issue since.

I would try to first change #6 spark plug with a GENUINE BMW plug see if that fixes it. Its a $20 test but easy and requires nothing but a little of your time and elbow grease.

Oh, logs help too to determine fueling, but I'm guessing its not fueling issue.
I grabbed the spark plug and coil pack kit from FCP Euro:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...12138616153kt5

Looks like Delphi Coils: DEL-GN10571 and Bosch Plugs: BOS-0242145518

Just looking at the boxes the plugs came out of again and it looks like they're gapped to .032". I didn't touch the gap as I was told by FCP that theyre were pregapped and ready to go. I see a lot of posts where people say to gap to .022". Do you think this gap could be the root of the issues?

Some other notes. The car has longer than usual (but not LONG) cranks every once in a while. The car also had a coolant leak from the coolant reservoir right after I did the plugs and coils so I replaced the reservoir, I didn't think this would have any effect but figured I would throw it in. The last time I pulled out the plug from Cylinder 6 I did not smell any gas and the plug did not seem wet or anything. Surprisingly the coil pack smelled more like gasoline then the plugs.
      03-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Swapped the misfiring plug from cylinder 6 to cylinder 1 and the plug from cylinder 1 to cylinder 6. Got the car to misfire, codes were for Cylinder 6 yet again. Final thing I will try before moving onto fueling is adjusting the plug gap down to .022 from .030-.032 (current gap out of the box).
      03-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #12
rulermark
Rep
Drives: 335

If you are going to do the injector get the tool, you can get one from china off ebay super cheap. Also here is the guide to code afterward: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43827

Last edited by rulermark; 03-21-2019 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #13
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulermark View Post
If you are going to do the injector get the tool, you can get one from china off ebay super cheap. Also here is the guide to code afterward: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43827
Great info and thanks for the share. Im pretty sure my issue is with one of the pumps. Im starting to get more frequent long cranks when starting the engine. Not super long but longer then usual, happening nearly everytime i start the car lately. Im going to try adjusting the plug gap tonight and if that doesnt do it, which i doubt it will, i will be moving onto the hpfp.