E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Midbass?

03-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #23
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
I think the stock hifi woofers are also 2ohm. The impedance isn't your issue.
The 400/4 looks to only have crossover variation to 200hz but I also doubt that would be an issue.
How are your gains set? Multimeter like JL recommends (voltage output), SMD DD1 or by ear?
Ive got it set by ear since I dont have any sort of equipment for that
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #24
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

You need to pick up a multi meter and follow the JL manual instructions.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #25
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need to pick up a multi meter and follow the JL manual instructions.
Okay so if Ido that and do everything as the manual tells me, you're saying the factory under seats are going to produce sound as crisp, clear and loud as my upgraded doors?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #26
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
Okay so if Ido that and do everything as the manual tells me, you're saying the factory under seats are going to produce sound as crisp, clear and loud as my upgraded doors?
Can’t say that. Mid bass is never going to be crisp. Solid maybe. But tuned properly will rule out under driving them.
Did you ever mention what door speakers you installed?

Also can you post a pic of the control side of your 400/4?
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #27
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can't say that. Mid bass is never going to be crisp. Solid maybe. But tuned properly will rule out under driving them.
Did you ever mention what door speakers you installed?

Also can you post a pic of the control side of your 400/4?
I mentioned in my main post I believe that I installed the Helix Match component speakers in the doors. I dont have a pic right now but if you are looking to see what the gain is at it will be hard to tell because its just a little Phillips head screw and it isn't numbered or anything. They also label it as input sensitivity but from my understanding its the same thing as gain. I believe I have it turned right at about half way if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #28
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I mentioned in my main post I believe that I installed the Helix Match component speakers in the doors. I dont have a pic right now but if you are looking to see what the gain is at it will be hard to tell because its just a little Phillips head screw and it isn't numbered or anything. They also label it as input sensitivity but from my understanding its the same thing as gain. I believe I have it turned right at about half way if that helps.
I am curious of the overall crossover settings.

Yes, I am quite familiar with the JL labels on the amps(sensitivity vs gain) . Should be a flat head driver, not the Phillips.

Just trying to look at all the variables to get this figured out for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #29
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am curious of the overall crossover settings.

Yes, I am quite familiar with the JL labels on the amps(sensitivity vs gain) . Should be a flat head driver, not the Phillips.

Just trying to look at all the variables to get this figured out for you.
Ah okay I thought is was a phillips but I wasnt sure. I will try to get a pic tomorrow of the 400/4. Out of curiosity, If it turns out I have everything properly set, what would the next step be?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #30
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay I thought is was a phillips but I wasnt sure. I will try to get a pic tomorrow of the 400/4. Out of curiosity, If it turns out I have everything properly set, what would the next step be?
You could reduce the sensitivity of the door speakers so they do not overpower the under seat woofers or add some type of signal processing to balance it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #31
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So i checked all my filters and they all seem to be set in the general area that they should be, so whats the next step? I adjusted my head unit for a couple minutes to play only the under seat subs and they play midbass but it just isnt very loud which i believe is because of the impedance (4 ohms i think vs the 2 ohm impedance of my doors). So, should I get better under seat subs or try to find a nice head unit?
The factory speakers are VERY capable of sounding good. Double check your crossovers. Under seat woofers should be set to receive 250hz and below and door speakers should get 250hz and up as mentioned before.

The door maids will measure at 2 ohms resistance but add the passive filter and tweeter to the mix and they will measure more like 3.2 ohms. That is not your issue.

Set your crossovers and gains correctly and it will sound good.

Also why are you using the lc2i? Does the technics harness not have a full range output?
Okay. First, i have upgraded door component speakers running off of a JL JX400/4. I use the signal from my 676 technic harness for that amp. I am using the lc2i to send signal to my sub amp as I had issues with the preout signal for whatever reason and was recommended the LC2i by many people. I have checked all of my filters on the amps and everything is right around where it should be. I am not saying the stock under seats sound bad, I am saying they arnt as clean as my upgraded doors and they definitely are not as loud at any given volume which I believe comes from the difference in impedance if there is one.
The stock BMW under the seat subs tend to be "muddy"; it's just the way they are.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #32
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

With your setup you will not be able to band-bass the midbass frequencies, since you can only use either high-pass or low-pass at the amp. I sure hope it is set to high-pass which means when only playing the underseats, you should be hearing high frequencies that are normally reserved for tweeters (but that should not be related to the problem of poor mid-bass).
      03-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #33
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So upgraded under seats would be beneficial? Im going to check my filters one more time in a few minutes and get a pic of the control side of my 400/4.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #34
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What should my under seats be low passed or high passed at? And then what should my doors be low or high passed at?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #35
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What should my under seats be low passed or high passed at? And then what should my doors be low or high passed at?
Since the 400/4 has the max of around 200hz high or low, the doors should get 200hz high and under seats 200hz low.

Quote:
So upgraded under seats would be beneficial? Im going to check my filters one more time in a few minutes and get a pic of the control side of my 400/4.
It will not make much difference in your case unless you can get the band pass frequencies you need from some type of processing.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #36
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Since the 400/4 has the max of around 200hz high or low, the doors should get 200hz high and under seats 200hz low.

Quote:
It will not make much difference in your case unless you can get the band pass frequencies you need from some type of processing.
Okay gotcha. I will try that out and see what happens. I believe I had my under seats low passed at 180 but i put them at around 140 just now to see if i could hear a difference. Heres the pics i took. I appreciate everyones help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #37
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Crank both of your frequency knobs all the way to the right. Your sensitivity knobs do not seem to be set the same either.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #38
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Crank both of your frequency knobs all the way to the right. Your sensitivity knobs do not seem to be set the same either.
Gotcha, will do. Where should my input sensitivities be?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #39
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Something else I noticed, you have 4 channels out from the technics harness, set your 400/4 to 2 channel input, use the front signal for the 400/4 and the rear signal to your sub amp. you can then remove the lc2i to have a flat signal without a boosted low signal. less wires to deal with as well.

Quote:
Gotcha, will do. Where should my input sensitivities be?
set via the multimeter as JL recommends in the manual.

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digit...s%2C344&sr=8-3
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #40
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I went and turned my filters how they should be and nothing improved, so I guess my next step will be to buy a multimeter tomorrow or as soon as I can and set the input sensitivities correctly and hope that does something. The under seats are still just so much quieter than the doors :
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #41
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
So I went and turned my filters how they should be and nothing improved, so I guess my next step will be to buy a multimeter tomorrow or as soon as I can and set the input sensitivities correctly and hope that does something. The under seats are still just so much quieter than the doors :
The logic 7 under the seat subs are 2ohm and rated around 60watts. So, they probably won't keep up with your new Helix & Match door speakers.

You need some kind of DSP, a 6 channel amp & better under the seat subs that are mid bass oriented.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #42
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
The logic 7 under the seat subs are 2ohm and rated around 60watts. So, they probably won't keep up with your new Helix & Match door speakers.

You need some kind of DSP, a 6 channel amp & better under the seat subs that are mid bass oriented.
Okay. I think upgraded under-seats will be first, so what will be my best bet rated at around 100 watts or so? Im also on a budget, so nothing extremely expensive!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:05 PM   #43
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Okay. I think upgraded under-seats will be first, so what will be my best bet rated at around 100 watts or so? Im also on a budget, so nothing extremely expensive!
A used set of Logic 7 underwear woofers is where I would start looking. Avoid the Earthquake SWS woofers.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #44
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

I have read a lot of positive things about the pioneer shallow mount 8" subs. You can get them on eBay from reputable sellers for around $85-90 each. You will probably need some 8" mounting rings made of MDF.

Anything over a mounting depth of 2 1/8, you will need to offset it. You will need to be handy with s dremmel. You'll have to notch the mounting rings in order to get them to fit.

I had the logic 7 subs on a 60w amp abs didn't like them. They are too muddy for my taste.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS....html?tp=68848
Appreciate 0