E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Giving up on avoiding swirl marks on my black beauty :-(

08-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #23
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold
hi, heres some good advise for your swirl marks, go to www.pts106.com check out those pics of cars that was paint protected with this product and contact your local dealer, NASA USA developed this product to protect paint on their equipment. please come back to me with your response , i can guarantee you it will solve your problems, good luck.

warm regards
arnold E90 330i A sport
Can they deliver/buy to the US?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2005, 02:16 AM   #24
ivanwibi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320ie90 Silver

Garage List
2006 E90 - 320i  [0.00]
Swirl marks

Use some 'finisher', just athin layer of wax, such as wash and wax sprayer, it gives your car a wet look and reduced swirl effect. I used it after every wash, carefull to remove the dirt first using high pressure cleaners (1400 psi and above).

Nov 04 Landrover Freelander TD4, Silver, 17" Freedom Wheels, one tough little hippo.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #25
06alpine325icm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 alpine white

i had a black e46 couldnt keep up with it the swirls got soo bad i just couldnt take it soo i got aw e90 im never buying anything else except silver or white
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #26
Drum&BMWazz
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Beamah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
Just saw your post on my pics thread. Yes, Zaino really works well. I am in no way affiliated with them and was as skeptical when I was first told to use it. But, it's the best product I've seen/used and I've been exposed to many high value cars and care products.

It is a long process and you need to be patient and keep taking the steps just as they describe. You will be amazed at the look of the car.
Get the $85 kit, it has everything. On my e90, I did the clay bar and two applications of the Z5 which takes out the swirls, but left it kind of greasy. Don't worry though, the Z2 comes in and makes it perfect, no greasy look, just like glass. You can keep applying coats of Z2 to get a deeper look, but after just one coat, I was amazed.
Where can i get this $85 kit? Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #27
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

FWIW, Zaino does not prevent or remove swirls (unless you're using ZPC). Z5pro will hide them for awhile.

It sounds like the OP needs a more competent detailer. I suggest finding a reputable local detailer who offers maintenance plans. Properly washed you will only get the most subtle surface marring over the course of a year; one light polish per year will easily take care of it. Cheers.

(edit: after reading the pts106 site I am fairly certain that the product is just a high durability sealant like Zaino. They detail your car (removing the swirls) they apply the sealant).

Actually, now that I've read the whole site I'm positive. They use a rotary to detail the car (like any detailer) then apply a high durabilty sealant of their own (or rebranded) make.

Bottom line: find a good local detailer. Have him remove the swirls and apply a sealant then visit him for washes and yearly cleanup.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #28
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Picus has nailed it! I have almost completely eliminated the introduction of swirls on my 04 Orient Blue E46 by eliminating the things that cause them. I say almost because it is impossible to avoid them 100% (IMO). I am now buffing once a year to get rid of the faint few that I get throughout the year.

What I am trying to do is develop a list of clients that will use me solely for their detailing needs. I have a customer who has been with me for about 3 years and had a black MB E320. I washed it weekly and detailed it twice a year and he loved the service. He traded the E class in for an S class and now I have that one too.

If you can find someone who can provide this type of service I would highly recommend it. You know what you are getting and can develop a good relationship with the service provider that can help in the long run. I treated this customer's vehicle like it was my own and knew his car intimately. I would fix things he didn't even know he had and even checked his tire pressure weekly. I'm convinced there are people like me out there.
      08-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #29
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Exactly. I have clients whose cars I detail from the moment then take delivery - I do the new car prep (instead of the dealer), I wash them weekly or bi-weekly, polish them bi-yearly and keep a sealant/wax applied as needed. Having one trusted person maintain the car (of course as the owner you could be that person) using proper washing techniques and tools will keep the amount of marring you get to a bare minimum in between polishing sessions.

There are good detailers all over the US (mobile ones too), find one, give him a hug, and let him love your car...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #30
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I was going to chime in until I read picus' post. If I drive up to Boston, I'll detail your car for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #31
Kenny C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 e90 1998 e39 540

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 m50  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
2018 mx3 40  [0.00]
2016 340  [0.00]
2013 BMW ACYIVE HYB ...  [0.00]
2010 BMW X535D  [0.00]
Never use a wet rag or sponge on any car. Use a chanille wash mitt. Use 2 mitts. One for the bottom third of the car. The other for the rest. When drying use a microfiber drying towel. I use clean terry cloth rags that are washed in the washing machine after each use. If you have swirls, MOST can be removed. Use a paint cleaner or something stronger like scratch x. If that doesn't work use fine, medium heavy cut cleaner. Be careful when using these last three products. Once the swirls are removed use a paint polisher then a good wax. An orbital buffer works great if you're comfortable using one. My 540 is 8 yo lokks brand new, almost showroom. It just takes a lot of work.
GOOD LUCK
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #32
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

think of swirl marks as wrinkles...Certain ppl have more wrinkles then other. Same with car colors...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #33
Sarahaw
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series

Zaino was much of a polisher and it wasn’t good at hiding or preventing swirls. There are now products that if done well the car can go for 6 months or more without swirls. A long standing best seller, I find CarGuys liquid wax to be the ultimate solution to my swirl, scratch and blemish problems with my black R8.
Unlike some of the so called best spray detailers for black cars which frustrate and don’t deliver up to standard results, CarGuys lets you give your vehicle a deep shine that lasts over half an year.
The formula includes nano scale additives that fast percolate to the finish molecules greatly reducing the time taken by average waxes. The ingredients also force the molecules to cross link, thereby leading to deepest wet shine, swirl and scratch shield possible.

It is effortless to apply and you don’t have to engage a pro detailer all the time. The first time you engage him learn the tips and you will be good.

Last edited by Sarahaw; 12-07-2018 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #34
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahaw View Post
Zaino was much of a polisher and it wasn’t good at hiding or preventing swirls. There are now products that if done well the car can go for 6 months or more without swirls. A long standing best seller, I find CarGuys liquid wax to be the ultimate solution to my swirl, scratch and blemish problems with my black R8.
Unlike some of the so called best spray detailers for black cars which frustrate and don’t deliver up to standard results, CarGuys lets you give your vehicle a deep shine that lasts over half an year.
The formula includes nano scale additives that fast percolate to the finish molecules greatly reducing the time taken by average waxes. The ingredients also force the molecules to cross link, thereby leading to deepest wet shine, swirl and scratch shield possible.

It is effortless to apply and you don’t have to engage a pro detailer all the time. The first time you engage him learn the tips and you will be good.
Nice bump lol
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:24 AM   #35
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

My 2008 E90 is Jet Black. It's been hand washed since day one. After every wash, I use Mequires Quick Wax detail. JB is a pain to maintain. However, when it's clean, it's a beauty.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #36
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
My car came with swirl marks in the hood that I only saw in bright sunlight. It is a big bummer, but it's been a while now and I decided not to dwell on the negative, to try to get this taken care of and to continue enjoying the fabulous car. I'm in the precess of arranging for the hood to be repainted by the dealer (although I'm not sure I should do this to a new car).

I cannot wash the car myself where I live but I've only had it hand-washed at a detailing place and it got washed a few times at the dealer. I do clean up bird droppings and insects myself using the finest terry cloth or micro fiber rags.

With all this care (the maximum I could give the car), I'm starting to see more swirl marks in different places on the car as well as tiny superficial scratches where some less than prestine rags have been used The car still looks awesome to any casual observer, but to me, I see all these imperfections in my baby.

I thought I would be able to prevent swirl marks and tiny superficial scratches by sticking to hand washes at good places and being careful by removing bird droppings and insects as fast as possible, but it seems that this is not going ot happen.

So I would like hear from more experienced fine black car owners who care about their cars.

Is this the best I could expect? Should my remedy be regular waxing and/or employing things like the zaino process? Would doing that cover up these imperfections? Should that be my plan going forward?

Thank you in advance for any information or advice.

OP, Here is what I would do if I had a black car with swirls.

1. cover rock chips
2. Get two step paint correction done
3. Install clear bra to cover half of hood, front bumper and fenders
4. get paint, glass, rims coated with Ceramic coating
5. now maintenance- if had washed, I would use 8 wash mitts, one of each panel.

if you have access to hose, I would invest in foam soak for pre-soak, rinse and then use foam gun to apply soap on entire car. use bucket with water and soap , rinse wash mitt in bucket.

Use one mitt for each panel with no pressure, flip it over and wipe, please note you are using each side of wash mitt one time wipe, throw it away and take another, dip it into bucket, and wipe panel with no pressure

Basically you are wiping the loose dirt with one time wipe with each wash mitt,

rinse the entire car, cover the car with foam using foam gun again, take fresh wash mitts and wash, rinse.

for drying, I use this towel, I have three of them

Big Blue Microfiber Drying Towel https://www.autogeek.net/big-blue-drying-towel.html

Key thing here is a one wash mitt each panel. feel free to ask me any questions you have.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #37
advrider6510
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3, Ford Mustang

Swirl marks are simply super fine scratches on a paint surface. They are most commonly caused by wiping your car with a dry towel (typically when it's dusty). Improper washing and drying techniques are culprits as well. You see, it's easy to mar paint surfaces with microscopic scratches.
To remove it, gently rub the surface with a thin towel or cloth. And that's it! ... It's crucial to use non-abrasive solutions, use a microfiber towel, and apply just a tiny amount of polisher and wax. Some swirl marks can be too tough to remove by hand.
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #38
PR1MOWAGEN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Touring

I agree with the DIY posts here. I just purchased a black 2011 E91, and I've been looking at the paint from multiple angles. My other cars were silver or dark grey, so they hid a lot of imperfections, but I think all of what I learned detailing those cars really paid off as I'm detailing my new wagon.

When I first started talking with the dealer, I measured up the paint to see what I would need to do. The body itself was in terrific shape, only a couple very minor dings. The paint, however, had obvious machine wash swirls and surface defects I knew would need to be addressed. While it affected the cosmetics, I knew it could be done.

I just posted these pics in the "What Did You do to Your Car Today?" thread...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11711

I've been detailing for a few years now, so it's taken time to really understand the dynamics of polishers, pads, creams, etc. and how they work together for the better or worse. A black car is not the best for a first-timer, but most of the weekend warrior tools on the market are pretty harmless (Griot's Garage is great for multiple skill levels).

YouTube is your friend. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE.

In regard to long-term maintenance, once you correct the paint keep it waxed and/or sealed, be careful where you drive and park, and be gentle when washing it.

...OH, and try to find a gigantic zip-loc bag to park your car in and NEVER drive it!! LOL

Appreciate 0