E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 1-Step & 2-Step Colder Plugs

05-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335XI

1-Step & 2-Step Colder Plugs

2008 N54 AWD 140k miles

DCI
Catless DP
Stage 2 MHD tuned (stock intercooler)

On cold start in the mornings before work, my idle is funky. Car starts normally and does cold start high idle normally for ~7 seconds then the idle fluctuates uppppppp like 3-400 RPMs and thennnnn droppppps back downnnnnn to 800 then a few seconds more drops down again to standard idle of 650 and stumbles and rumbles and misfires.

Then I tap the gas a couple times and it all evens out.

This had NEVER happened until the MORNING AFTER I installed my catless DPs. Didn't touch plugs, coils, or fueling in any way shape or form. Plugs are standard non-iridium tipped Bosch with 10k miles on them and coils are standard OE Delphi with 10k miles on them. Injectors are probably factory. Most likely not index 12.

I thought maybe because I'm missing the downstream O2 sensors now, maybe the car is just acting funky because of the Service Engine Soon light. So I tuned MHD and coded out the O2 sensor light. Nope. Still misfiring on cold start.

I understand colder plugs and their function and I understand why they're necessary for higher boost applications but I don't understand why they'd be needed for a cold start idle. Do I miraculously have leaky injectors the day after installing DPs/tune and the misfire isn't related at all to the DPs or the tune? Just ridiculous. One thing after another.

PS:
BMS says "Note: these plugs are on national back order. Most still floating around the internet are counterfeit. We suggest the NGK 2-STEP plugs as an alternative for all tuned BMW applications."

I doubt with simple bolt ons I should be running 2 step colder plugs? Does anyone do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContrakt View Post
2008 N54 AWD 140k miles

DCI
Catless DP
Stage 2 MHD tuned (stock intercooler)

On cold start in the mornings before work, my idle is funky. Car starts normally and does cold start high idle normally for ~7 seconds then the idle fluctuates uppppppp like 3-400 RPMs and thennnnn droppppps back downnnnnn to 800 then a few seconds more drops down again to standard idle of 650 and stumbles and rumbles and misfires.

Then I tap the gas a couple times and it all evens out.

This had NEVER happened until the MORNING AFTER I installed my catless DPs. Didn't touch plugs, coils, or fueling in any way shape or form. Plugs are standard non-iridium tipped Bosch with 10k miles on them and coils are standard OE Delphi with 10k miles on them. Injectors are probably factory. Most likely not index 12.

I thought maybe because I'm missing the downstream O2 sensors now, maybe the car is just acting funky because of the Service Engine Soon light. So I tuned MHD and coded out the O2 sensor light. Nope. Still misfiring on cold start.

I understand colder plugs and their function and I understand why they're necessary for higher boost applications but I don't understand why they'd be needed for a cold start idle. Do I miraculously have leaky injectors the day after installing DPs/tune and the misfire isn't related at all to the DPs or the tune? Just ridiculous. One thing after another.

PS:
BMS says "Note: these plugs are on national back order. Most still floating around the internet are counterfeit. We suggest the NGK 2-STEP plugs as an alternative for all tuned BMW applications."

I doubt with simple bolt ons I should be running 2 step colder plugs? Does anyone do this?
If BMS says 2 step colder is fine then you should be good.

I run 97506s and they work great.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

You have a decent amount more mods than your standard FBO like me.

I notice in your signature you're gapped to .028 which is way wider than I've heard of for tuned N54s. Maybe your larger gap is accommodating the overly cold plugs?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I am FBO on Stage2+ 93 Octane and using factory Bosch plugs and all is good.

Maybe you're plugs are just more used and it's coincidental.

I was doing like -2.7 corrections but when I put in brand new Bosch plugs and coils my car runs like new.

Or maybe injectors... a lot of variables here IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:

You have a decent amount more mods than your standard FBO like me.

I notice in your signature you're gapped to .028 which is way wider than I've heard of for tuned N54s. Maybe your larger gap is accommodating the overly cold plugs?
I'm running Precision Raceworks coils so that's why I am running a larger gap. Helps with extending the life of the plug.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm running Precision Raceworks coils so that's why I am running a larger gap. Helps with extending the life of the plug.
Oh cool, glad I asked!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I am FBO on Stage2+ 93 Octane and using factory Bosch plugs and all is good.

Maybe you're plugs are just more used and it's coincidental.

I was doing like -2.7 corrections but when I put in brand new Bosch plugs and coils my car runs like new.

Or maybe injectors... a lot of variables here IMO.
I'm really thinking I'm just going to swap to NGKs and gap them to .022 and I think this will do nothing but help. Can't hurt. All of the 1 steps are backordered though I've checked a few places. I really don't want to do 2 step colder plugs but if I have to I guess I have to. I'll see if I can find some compelling arguments as to why 2-step colder plugs are fine for simple FBO cars running 91 octane with no meth or corn.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I'm really thinking I'm just going to swap to NGKs and gap them to .022 and I think this will do nothing but help. Can't hurt. All of the 1 steps are backordered though I've checked a few places. I really don't want to do 2 step colder plugs but if I have to I guess I have to. I'll see if I can find some compelling arguments as to why 2-step colder plugs are fine for simple FBO cars running 91 octane with no meth or corn.
Yeah originally was getting NGK but on FCP they were back ordered as they are everywhere.

I did a post asking if I really needed 1 step colder and people reassured me no. I even ran a E30 e85 mix map and no missfires or anything. All good.

So idk if step colder plugs are really needed on factory turbos... I don't want to spread misinformation but this is what I seem to notice.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah originally was getting NGK but on FCP they were back ordered as they are everywhere.

I did a post asking if I really needed 1 step colder and people reassured me no. I even ran a E30 e85 mix map and no missfires or anything. All good.

So idk if step colder plugs are really needed on factory turbos... I don't want to spread misinformation but this is what I seem to notice.
Quite possible I could just pull my plugs this weekend with only 10k miles on them and give em a light clean up and make sure they're gapped properly. Maybe that could help smooth things out until I can get my hands on some NGK -1 step plugs.
Appreciate 0