E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > dealer wants $6500 to fix oil/fluid leaks

05-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #23
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Op also check your belt tensioner is not too close to harmonic damper...it tends to bend over time and could suck belt into crank seal....worth it to do this while you at OFHG and you can also clean up built up crud while its all apart.
GL OP
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #24
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I agree, DIY since you have been wrenching some. Use a long weekend and get a rental car if necessary. Save the money for the oil pan gasket or other things.

For my non-turbo I used a new URO valve cover. That is what I would suggest. If you are getting smoke on start up like I did, it is probably not the oil pan gasket leaking. Mine was the the valvetronic gasket AND somewhere from the valve cover. I did not see a crack, but while not as bad as the valvetronic leak, some oil was still coming out from the top side. New Uro cover solved it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=16

Like others said, drive belt and tensioner while doing the filter housing gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trading10 View Post
caliber90 I can relate - I have a '99 M3 that I've owned since 2004, and have learned tons from this forum and others. I've had my hands almost every inch of that car doing repairs, fixes, refurb, etc, and it's a cream puff looker that is a joy to drive. It's very satisfying to do what Jay Leno describes as 'the heart is happiest when the mind and hands work together'. Doing repairs myself is what I do by default, not always because of cost, but to further my knowledge and for the challenge of facing the fear of doing something I've never done before.

With that said, I am still willing to give the VC/G and OFH/G a try. The diff leaking? I have not researched what is involved with that job, so it sounds intimidating.

Yes, that video is great. Since I don't have a lift, seeing what's going on underneath is very helpful.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #25
trading10
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Several months ago, the belt frayed and wrapped itself around the crank, though the indy shop said it did not penetrate the front main seal. Dealer did not identify that seal as a possible leak source, so I'm assuming that it's ok. The repair bill on that was the $1100 I mentioned in a previous post - new tensioner, belts, and something else I forget at the moment. I think the harmonic balancer was ok, but I don't recall if they said anything about the tensioner being bent too close.

Question: would any of these leaks or possible leaking points cause the engine to misfire at idle? The idle is normally 650rpms, but since it has been idling with an occasional sputter, rpms settle at about 750'ish. When I took the car out for a test drive BEFORE putting in a set of high output coil packs (BavAuto/ECS) and factory bosch plugs (4 prongs), the tuning app, MHD, showed the cyl 1 timing correction going bonkers when maintaining speed in any gear, but was normal when accelerating or decelerating. No error codes to work with to find out more. AFTER putting in the high output coil packs, the misfires continue, but the cyl 1 timing correction was no longer going bonkers. When I put in the new plugs and coil packs, I did not see any oil accumulation around the plug holes. The color of the old plugs looked ok - no oily plugs or evidence of fouling that I could see.

Sorry for being so wordy - just trying to be a bit more precise for clarity.

Btw, thank you, everyone, for contributing so much information and experience. That kind of participation is what makes this forum an amazing resource for all. You guys are the best.

Last edited by trading10; 05-25-2019 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:09 AM   #26
trading10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Get this torque wrench and bunch of extensions and converters, swivels etc.

BikeMaster Digital Torque Wrench - 1/4in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BANZ90W..._rNP5CbVTZSNPR

You won't snap one bolt.

This could all be done in a long 3-4 day weekend, if you take your time and do it right.
I have always wanted a nice digital torque wrench, but have never treated myself to one. Been using an old 20" Craftsman for the last, uhg, 34 years back when I did my first bare metal restore of a '67 bug. Far as I know, there is no record of anyone ever using a torque wrench on a vw bug.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:35 AM   #27
trading10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Arthur View Post
Be sure and get a set of E sockets , easily obtained at an auto parts store or Amazon, before starting on the oil filter housing. Last guy I helped with this was trying to use Vise grips... yikes. Hang on to them, they're going to come in handy ;-)
Is this the type you're referring to?
https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools.../dp/B000I45Y8Q
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #28
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Arthur View Post
Be sure and get a set of E sockets , easily obtained at an auto parts store or Amazon, before starting on the oil filter housing. Last guy I helped with this was trying to use Vise grips... yikes. Hang on to them, they're going to come in handy ;-)
Is this the type you're referring to?
https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools.../dp/B000I45Y8Q
Get this set. First and last set you'll ever need.

OTC 5900A-Plus 52 Piece Master Square Drive Torx Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YOVIIU..._Yks6CbQ36EPEA
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #29
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
yeah 335i valve cover has steel bolts and the torque is very low, low chance of breaking them. Oil pan has aluminum bolts but no worries on snapping unless you completely disregard the torque procedure.
Yeah with the labor saved you could buy 3 sizes of torque wrench, all the standard tools and an engine support and still come out a few thousand ahead.

At least do the tip of the engine yourself. That job is easy, just takes a bit to remove the stuff above it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #30
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
yeah 335i valve cover has steel bolts and the torque is very low, low chance of breaking them. Oil pan has aluminum bolts but no worries on snapping unless you completely disregard the torque procedure.
Yeah with the labor saved you could buy 3 sizes of torque wrench, all the standard tools and an engine support and still come out a few thousand ahead.

At least do the tip of the engine yourself. That job is easy, just takes a bit to remove the stuff above it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Ja...SABEgKnN_D_BwE
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #31
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

6500 dollas? For that kind of coin they better buy drinks, dinner, and set you up with one of those massages where they provide complete service.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      05-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Shit, for $6,500, you could buy and install 2-post lift in your garage, do the DIY, and STILL save about $2,000.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #33
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:

Or just make one.

This cost me about $25 in materials:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16946.00
E92inAZ39.00
      05-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #34
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Ive really been waffling on one of those. I totally WANT one but I currently have a race jack and 4 forklift jack stands (seriously shop those, once you get those you despise regular jack stand). So its only like 5 minutes to get the car off of the ground.

Honestly the reason I havent bought one is because my E90 has been to reliable to justify it. I guess it would be nice for oil/coolant/brake change as well but even those Im not having to do too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
6500 dollas? For that kind of coin they better buy drinks, dinner, and set you up with one of those massages where they provide complete service.
And a hell of a lot better one than Robert Kraft got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Shit, for $6,500, you could buy and install 2-post lift in your garage, do the DIY, and STILL save about $2,000.
They really that cheap? Sadly I dont have enough height for that but the quickjack would be possible.

But seriously though to the OP, Ive got probably $4000 in tools I have collected over the past couple of decades working on the cars/motorcycles but have likely saved 20k+ in doing the work (probably 30k if I really researched on the motorcycles). And once you buy the tool you have the tool, so its free next time. Plus you get the know that YOU did it right, not some idiot kid at the dealership or oil change place.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Or just make one.

This cost me about $25 in materials:
For the N52...
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

They really that cheap? Sadly I dont have enough height for that but the quickjack would be possible.
Bend Pak still makes a lift for a 9-foot garage.

https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/tw...lifts/gp-7lcs/
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #37
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I would have looked at the SA and said, it's nice to want things. Other than the Oil Pan Gasket, the cost of DIY is about 5% of that quote.
      05-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #38
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ive really been waffling on one of those. I totally WANT one but I currently have a race jack and 4 forklift jack stands (seriously shop those, once you get those you despise regular jack stand). So its only like 5 minutes to get the car off of the ground.

Honestly the reason I havent bought one is because my E90 has been to reliable to justify it. I guess it would be nice for oil/coolant/brake change as well but even those Im not having to do too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
And a hell of a lot better one than Robert Kraft got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

But seriously though to the OP, Ive got probably $4000 in tools I have collected over the past couple of decades working on the cars/motorcycles but have likely saved 20k+ in doing the work (probably 30k if I really researched on the motorcycles). And once you buy the tool you have the tool, so its free next time. Plus you get the know that YOU did it right, not some idiot kid at the dealership or oil change place.
The only way I could personally justify one, is if I was doing one of the following;

1) Rear Main Seal
2) Turbos
3) Oil Pan Gasket

I've done the oil pan gasket on jack stands; it's doable that way. Turbos I could see being done on jack stands, but I don't imagine it would a whole lot of fun. The rear main? I'm not sure it could be done on jack stands. Maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only way I could personally justify one, is if I was doing one of the following;

1) Rear Main Seal
2) Turbos
3) Oil Pan Gasket

I've done the oil pan gasket on jack stands; it's doable that way. Turbos I could see being done on jack stands, but I don't imagine it would a whole lot of fun. The rear main? I'm not sure it could be done on jack stands. Maybe?
Let's see where to begin...

Replacing rusted-through brake lines with pre-bent factory parts. The Jeep needed to be 6 feet in the air.

Replacing rusted-through brake lines on a F150.

E90 oil pan gasket

Clutches on two (2) BMWs

Timing case cover gaskets on an M44; need to have the car 3 feet off the ground to use the special tool to hold the crank to get the harmonic balancer off the crankshaft to get the timing case off

E90 t-stat

E90 water pump

E90 driveshaft replacement

E90 rear bearing replacement

E90 front bearing replacement

E90 suspension refresh... twice

Brakes... brakes... brakes

40 some odd oil changes

E90 T-stat hose bib replacement - just yesterday

All comfortably standing on 2 feet. (i.e. no medical bills)

And that's not the half of it.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-26-2019 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 04:09 AM   #40
trading10
Rep

forklift jack stands like these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Omega-7-...075B/206524689

A lift would be great of course. Always wanted one for previous project cars. Repair costs in the last few months total about $3000, so I've been bleeding too much cash to get one. Bitcoin is on the rise again, so maybe I'll have enough profit to afford a basic lift. Getting the car off the ground beyond 3 feet would be nice, but then we're talking about a two post lift for 2-3x the cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #41
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
forklift jack stands like these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Omega-7-...075B/206524689

A lift would be great of course. Always wanted one for previous project cars. Repair costs in the last few months total about $3000, so I've been bleeding too much cash to get one. Bitcoin is on the rise again, so maybe I'll have enough profit to afford a basic lift. Getting the car off the ground beyond 3 feet would be nice, but then we're talking about a two post lift for 2-3x the cost.
The welds on those jack stands are some of the worse I have ever seen, it looks like someone hack those stands together and home depot is selling them for $175, for something I would not dare put a car on.
Appreciate 1
tlow982162.50