E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 318D N47 revs holding at 2,500 and strange noise

11-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
Rollerpig
Rep
Drives: E91 318D

318D N47 revs holding at 2,500 and strange noise

Hi All Newbie to the forum here,
I own a Jan 2012 built E91 LCi 318D

my car has a very strange issue which when cold within say 1mile of driving i get a single missfire then afterwards a slight lack in power and a very strange noise when i back off the throttle / deaccelerate almost sounds like induction noise like I’ve not got an air box fitted and if i pull over take the car out of gear and plant my foot down on the pedal it will hold at 2500 and will not rev pass it, Now this will happen for 10 to 15minutes with the lack of power and strange noise then all of a sudden the car drives perfectly again and no strange noise when de acceleration. I have no error lights coming on, no smoke coming out the exhaust so I’m kinda stumped what’s causing this.
I’ve noticed last month after driving on the motorway for over 4 hours then driving into a town at slow speeds and traffic this same issue will happen, but when I’m over taking someone or getting on to a motorway i will get a miss fire at 2,500 revs in 2nd and 3rd gear again no eml light no smoke.

Do these BMW’s store codes even if no eml light has come on ?

I’m new to the BMW world so any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Yes, not all codes trigger an eml. Get yourself a cable and software of your choice (try inpa), and read the codes. Having that capability will save you ££ in the long run!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Rollerpig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Yes, not all codes trigger an eml. Get yourself a cable and software of your choice (try inpa), and read the codes. Having that capability will save you ££ in the long run!
Cheers, ill look into getting Inpa software any recommended places to get hold of this at all ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681573
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
Rollerpig
Rep

Sorry for the very late reply work has been extremely busy so just not had time to look into the issues with the car, so I’ve downloaded Bimmerlink and the fault codes as follows,

452A - particle filter system
4D4A - particulate filter system

4AE5 - Zero Flow adaptation injector cylinder 2
4B05 - Zero Volume adaptation injector cylinder 4

And after over taking a car this morning my EML light finally came on after misfiring and lost power I was doing 2,500 revs full throttle as i was overtaking when this happen so opened bimmerlink and this was the error,

4560 - Rail pressure Plausibility volume controlled.

So dpf codes after some research i can get inpa+ and reset the dpf and them codes will go

But the others especially the fuel injectors is there a way to reset them to stop the error coming back up ?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

The fuel injector errors are more likely to require new parts, I think. Though - touch wood - I've not had any issues with mine yet.

Same with the rail pressure error, as far as I know... I'd clear the errors as best you can (esp. dpf ones), and see what comes back and when.

One thing is for sure, the fuel system on your car is not happy!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

The error codes are coming up to tell you there is something wrong it is not just a case of resetting them and crossing your fingers.

You need to take a methodical approach so start with the DPF, for example.
Is the DPF regenerating properly? There's lots of threads on here about that. Could be something really simple like a thermostat is not allowing the engine to warm up properly. If you now have INPA you can take a look at the live data and see what your engine temperature is rather than relying on the dashboard gauge.

Then you can look at the fuel pressure and injector issues but the car will not run properly with a blocked DPF.
Appreciate 0