E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help updating transmission

11-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
Kdubs88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

Help updating transmission

Hey guys, I have a 2007 328i sedan, and I’m looking to update my transmission with winkfp. The only issue is I don’t know which ecu family I have, and what zusb I have and need to replace it with. I have no issue flashing the alpina for my n54 buddies and I just flashed the zusb from a 135is onto a 335is no problem. Anyone that can point me in the right direction to find that info so I can update? Or know it off the top of their head? I’ve been searching and searching and can’t get a definitive answer. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubs88 View Post
Hey guys, I have a 2007 328i sedan, and I’m looking to update my transmission with winkfp. The only issue is I don’t know which ecu family I have, and what zusb I have and need to replace it with. I have no issue flashing the alpina for my n54 buddies and I just flashed the zusb from a 135is onto a 335is no problem. Anyone that can point me in the right direction to find that info so I can update? Or know it off the top of their head? I’ve been searching and searching and can’t get a definitive answer. Thanks guys
Use INPA, functional jobs, UIF. It will give you a list of your modules and ZB #'s. Trans is EGS. Then use WinKFP, comfort, F1, and enter your ZB #. It will give you your ECU family, then just update ECU. WinKFP will pick the updated ZB if one is available.
      12-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

dont flash 328i with a normal dcan it will fail at the end with signature check. then you will need icom.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.soori View Post
dont flash 328i with a normal dcan it will fail at the end with signature check. then you will need icom.
With a generic D-CAN cable that is true. The firmware is faulty and it will brick the transmission. If you have a Bimmergeeks cable though it will work fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
You need a quality K&D can cable. Bimmer Geeks cable works really well.

You will also need Ista P or Winkfp. If you choose, Winkfp, you'll want the latest Datens, which is v66, but they are hard to come by. V65 will do just fine.

Just download BMW tools 2.12 off Bimmergeeks website & install it.

Look for some videos on how to update modules using Winkfp on YouTube.

Cable -

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

BMW Tools 2.12 -

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #6
Kdubs88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a 2007 328i sedan, and I'm looking to update my transmission with winkfp. The only issue is I don't know which ecu family I have, and what zusb I have and need to replace it with. I have no issue flashing the alpina for my n54 buddies and I just flashed the zusb from a 135is onto a 335is no problem. Anyone that can point me in the right direction to find that info so I can update? Or know it off the top of their head? I've been searching and searching and can't get a definitive answer. Thanks guys

You will also need Ista P or Winkfp. If you choose, Winkfp, you'll want the latest Datens, which is v66, but they are hard to come by. V65 will do just fine.

Cable -

BMW Tools 2.12 -

I do have a generic cable, but I have used it to flash countless zf trannies for people with no issues. I've also used to it flash the bimmerlabs 328 to 330 tune. Even though it took over 2 hours it still worked no problem. Is the gm just different and it still isn't a good idea to use it? Or do you think I might be alright?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a 2007 328i sedan, and I'm looking to update my transmission with winkfp. The only issue is I don't know which ecu family I have, and what zusb I have and need to replace it with. I have no issue flashing the alpina for my n54 buddies and I just flashed the zusb from a 135is onto a 335is no problem. Anyone that can point me in the right direction to find that info so I can update? Or know it off the top of their head? I've been searching and searching and can't get a definitive answer. Thanks guys

Cable -

BMW Tools 2.12 -

I do have a generic cable, but I have used it to flash countless zf trannies for people with no issues. I've also used to it flash the bimmerlabs 328 to 330 tune. Even though it took over 2 hours it still worked no problem. Is the gm just different and it still isn't a good idea to use it? Or do you think I might be alright?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cable -

BMW Tools 2.12 -

Not having a quality K & D Cable when programming a BMW, would make me real nervous. Also, you should have at least a 30amp battery charger.,
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
I wouldn't use it for that, especially if the 330i flash took 2 hours (it should take ~45 minutes for the program, 1 minute for the tune). We know for a fact that the cheap cables can brick certain modules due to faulty firmware that writes garbage data.

Especially if you're flashing other people's cars with it, that is a lot of risk to save $15 on a cable..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
Kdubs88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't use it for that, especially if the 330i flash took 2 hours (it should take ~45 minutes for the program, 1 minute for the tune). We know for a fact that the cheap cables can brick certain modules due to faulty firmware that writes garbage data.

Especially if you're flashing other people's cars with it, that is a lot of risk to save $15 on a cable..
I've been meaning to get a new one, I've had this cable for going on 3 years now
Appreciate 0