E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Need help re BMW service agreement

08-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
jimjim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Need help re BMW service agreement

I am a senior person new at this. On 5/21/08 my wife's 525 BMW with careful 65,000 miles died. The transmission failed and left her stranded on route 5, Cal central valley, at night in a rain storm. I have never in 60yrs driving ever had a transmission fail. Only now do I know this is a serious BMW mfg defect. Rather than start rebuilding major auto component, I donated car and went to BMW San Francisco and bought 2008 535i, taking on faith it's a good car, I didn't need a test drive. I used the 3% financing. The 4yr free service repair seemed simple and clear. Selecting the car (floor display) clearing our credit took a half hour. The fellow filling out the contract asked if we would like to extend the 50,000 mile to 6yrs/100,000 miles for $2480 added in payments. Since this was for my wife I agreed. We signed the one page contract that had printing far to small to read. 2 weeks later we got a readable 2 page copy. I read the maintenance agreement. It excluded ALL mechanical repairs and I knew we had been had. BMW does not respond except for the contract salesman who says it is not possible to cancell. I feel like BMW has stolen $2480 plus interest from me and I am at a loss how to proceed. Any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I don't think you have a recourse, honestly. The maintenance program only covers the expense incurred at maintenance intervals (as determined by the car).

But you could still pay extra to extend the actual warranty.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
yes all you did was pay for the extended maintenance warranty i believe..

sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08

I am sick and tired of people _ _ _ ing each other for a penny. You sound like a good guy so I'm going to try and give you some help when no one else does.

If your insurance company is GEICO for instance, you can use:

Mechanical Breakdown Coverage

Keep Your New Car Purring with Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

So you got a great deal on car insurance from GEICO, did you? Now you're covered for accidents, theft, fire, and other mishaps.

But what about those mechanical problems that always seem to pop up as soon as your new car warranty runs out? You know what we're talking about: the air conditioning dies in the middle of August, your automatic windows refuse to roll up, your turn signals go dark . . .

You could just take the car to the mechanic and pony up the dough. Or, you could protect yourself right now with GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI). After a $250 deductible on a covered loss, MBI covers repairs to all mechanical parts of the car (except for maintenance and wear and tear*).

*MBI Exclusions

Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty. Read the policy amendment for the complete terms and conditions of this coverage.

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...own-insurance/

I don't know if it applies to new cars only but good luck. Hope that helps. I got it in case my hartop fails on me when the BMW warranty ends.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I find it hard to believe that the policy can't be cancelled. Call a local BBB office.
Appreciate 0