E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 Engine 2A82/2A7C/2A79

10-03-2022, 02:16 AM   #1
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI xDrive

N52 Engine 2A82/2A7C/2A79

Hi guys, I'm having the above codes on my 2011 328xi wagon. I know they are probably VANOS related and there are a few posts on this topic. I have tried some of them and I'm hoping this forum can help me troubleshoot further.

The SES light came on during the wagon's first AutoX event. Car sounds like a diesel at low RPM. Pulled the code, got 2A82 and 2A7C. Car did idle a bit rough at cold start before the SES came on, but will smooth out, so this issue may have existed for a while then the AutoX finally pushed it enough for the SES to come on.

Since the codes are VANOS related, I proceeded with the following:

1. Changed oil and inspected the oil filter cage. The inner support has a bit of play, but not too much and definitely won't come off. O-rings were in place and replaced with new.

2. Swapped the intake and exhaust VANOS solenoids.

3. Inspected the check valves on the side of the engine. Valve was clean. Cleaned and reinstalled.

After above steps the two previous codes disappeared, and a new code - 2A79 - popped up. Searched the code and it means "variable camshaft control, intake, cold start". So it seems the problem is still on the intake side. Not surprised as I have preventatively replaced the VANOS solenoids with OE ones not long ago.

I then swapped the cam position sensors between intake and exhaust. 2A79 remained.

So here are the possibilities I can think of:

1. Oil filter cap. Even though the play of the inner cage is very small, maybe that's enough to cause the fault. Is it normal to have a small play on the inner cage?

2. Cam position sensor. Swapped them but the code didn't follow, so theoretically can rule out bad sensors. But maybe they are both bad and somehow the code only shows up on the intake side?

3. VANOS ledges or bolts. I've heard recalls on these items. Check my VIN, there is no open recall for ledges or bolts. Gonna be time consuming and/or expensive if this is my issue... Really don't wanna pull that valve cover again.

Am I missing anything here? Please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Can you get a video with sound posted up ? I'd love to hear it at idle and slight rev. It's vanos bolts more than likely.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 02:55 AM   #3
swogbogs
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Try taking your Vanos solenoids out and holding them upright and spraying them from the bottom into the thing. Spray until clear liquid comes out, I used MAF/Electrical parts cleaner.

I know you said you swapped em, but make sure the inlet and exhaust electrical connectors are in the right position, in fact, spray those with MAF sensor cleaner too and let em air-dry.

I had the same codes just last week after a VCG change and doing this made it go away
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

I believe 2010-2011 have updated ledge bearings with Teflon bearings. Cam ledge issues are mostly 07-09. I agree with everyone, replace your solenoids and non return valves. The trifecta of codes could indicate vanos solenoids. I’ve seen posts of people with bearing issues having only one code. Occasionally they’re on sale at FCP Genuine BMW 149.99ea
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 12:20 AM   #5
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1stgen View Post
Can you get a video with sound posted up ? I'd love to hear it at idle and slight rev. It's vanos bolts more than likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swogbogs View Post
Try taking your Vanos solenoids out and holding them upright and spraying them from the bottom into the thing. Spray until clear liquid comes out, I used MAF/Electrical parts cleaner.

I know you said you swapped em, but make sure the inlet and exhaust electrical connectors are in the right position, in fact, spray those with MAF sensor cleaner too and let em air-dry.

I had the same codes just last week after a VCG change and doing this made it go away
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
I believe 2010-2011 have updated ledge bearings with Teflon bearings. Cam ledge issues are mostly 07-09. I agree with everyone, replace your solenoids and non return valves. The trifecta of codes could indicate vanos solenoids. I’ve seen posts of people with bearing issues having only one code. Occasionally they’re on sale at FCP Genuine BMW 149.99ea
This is what it sounds like outside - almost a diesel engine sound.
https://youtu.be/EmMVvRMD-7E

This is what it sounds like inside. Hard to tell from the video, but when I revved it slightly the first time, as the RPM drops you can see it struggled a little near idle, but then the diesel sounds went away. Then after the second rev it came back again. Generally the diesel engine sound will appear after I rev it to about 2500 RPM.
https://youtu.be/sfe6o_i7Rkk

New oil filter cap and cam position sensor arrived. Made no difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 12:34 AM   #6
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

I also just got 2A82 code. Car sounded like a diesel before it. But now delay when accelerating appeared...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 08:56 PM   #7
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
I also just got 2A82 code. Car sounded like a diesel before it. But now delay when accelerating appeared...
Stop running it. Pull the valve cover and inspect the vanos bolts.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 10:24 AM   #8
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My car is 2009 and did not have VANOS bolts recall. I have checked the oil and it has aluminum powder in it... It most probably will be VANOS Seals? Should I be already looking for a new engine or it will be fine?

Last edited by Hotter; 10-13-2022 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
My car is 2009 and did not have VANOS bolts recall. I have checked the oil and it has aluminum powder in it... It most probably will be VANOS Seals? Should I be already looking for a new engine or it will be fine?
Quote:
I sent the car to a shop since I have exhausted all possible fixes I can do on my own (don't want to pull the valve cover again and most importantly, don't want to deal with timing).

The shop confirmed that it is the VANOS gear bolts.

I know there is a recall so I immediately checked my VIN. My car is not eligible for the recall. Other car models from same model year using the same engine are eligible for the recall, but not the wagon it seems. Maybe BMW don't believe the wagons will be driven as hard? Or maybe BMW just plainly ignored the wagon owners as it is such a small volume? My feelings are hurt but kind of expected.

I also know that some of the cars not eligible for the recall have been offered a 10-year extended warranty. That unfortunately won't work for me, either since my car is 11 years old. Sigh.

I'm calling BMW but not expecting anything at this point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 05:46 AM   #10
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Which year is your car?
My car is 328i Coupe 2009-09 with first registration 2010. It does not have recalls either. I left my car today at mechanic shop. It might be also "VANOS gear bolt" or "cam ledge bearing"...
I guess "VANOS gear bolt" is easier to fix and does not need to change expensive cam? I hope for the bolt...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #11
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Which year is your car?
My car is 328i Coupe 2009-09 with first registration 2010. It does not have recalls either. I left my car today at mechanic shop. It might be also "VANOS gear bolt" or "cam ledge bearing"...
I guess "VANOS gear bolt" is easier to fix and does not need to change expensive cam? I hope for the bolt...
May car is 2011, but it is clearly using the older version of the bolts.

My understanding is that changing the bolts can be done with the cam in place and locked by using a special tool. Changing the seals that is in contact with the ledge will require taking off the cam, but the cam can be reused. Only difference should be taking off and reinstalling the cam and the additional timing.

The NA N52 engine only has ledge on the exhaust side. I'm inclining on changing the seals on my car from the older steel version to the new teflon version as well - talking to the shop to see exactly how much additional work is required. I'm concerned about the intake side; if that is worn, it's the cylinder head that will need to be replaced, so better replace the seal preventatively so that it won't wear the head.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 09:11 AM   #12
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

How do I know if I qualify for "VANOS gear bolt recall"? I think I have checked only Safety recalls.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #13
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
How do I know if I qualify for "VANOS gear bolt recall"? I think I have checked only Safety recalls.
You can check BMW website https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html

Or NHTSA website https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

If still unsure, give local BMW dealership a call - they won't charge you for a call.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #14
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

There are several threads on the broken VANOS bolts, such as this one: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...6#post29467306

I'm following Mike's steps to file a complaint.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #15
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List

From my youtube description:

If you have a BMW e-9x from years 2009-2011 you may indeed have these faulty Vanos bolts like I have. BMW did a recall but left out the e91 Sports Wagon from the recall. I'm filing a complaint with the NHTSA and this video explains why. The faulty bolts require replacing with part BMW #11368602263.

The NHTSA recall is #14V-176. The BMW recall service bulletin is# SI B11 07 14. Ironically, the e91 sports wagon is listed in the service bulletin but neither BMW service centers, nor BMW NA ever contacted 2009--20011 e91 owners like me about this serious safety recall. Contact NHTSA via their hotline: 1-888-327-4236

My vehicle never thru a code except for the SES (Service Engine Soon) light. The symptoms were a rattling exhaust Vanos at idle and a loud whistling noise. I opened the N52k engine up right away and this is what I found.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #16
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post

From my youtube description:

If you have a BMW e-9x from years 2009-2011 you may indeed have these faulty Vanos bolts like I have. BMW did a recall but left out the e91 Sports Wagon from the recall. I'm filing a complaint with the NHTSA and this video explains why. The faulty bolts require replacing with part BMW #11368602263.

The NHTSA recall is #14V-176. The BMW recall service bulletin is# SI B11 07 14. Ironically, the e91 sports wagon is listed in the service bulletin but neither BMW service centers, nor BMW NA ever contacted 2009--20011 e91 owners like me about this serious safety recall. Contact NHTSA via their hotline: 1-888-327-4236

My vehicle never thru a code except for the SES (Service Engine Soon) light. The symptoms were a rattling exhaust Vanos at idle and a loud whistling noise. I opened the N52k engine up right away and this is what I found.
Thanks, Mike! I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and hopefully will have some traction with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #17
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

The broken VANOS bolts or shifted VANOS adjuster has chewed up part of the cylinder head. It does not seem to affect engine operation, but looks alarming. Anyone has had this issue? Is your car running just fine with the chewed up head?

Data point: I first noticed symptoms of the broken VANOS bolts at an AutoX. The bolts may have been broken prior to the AutoX without showing a symptom. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until running a lap or two with the broken bolts. Then I drove 80 miles back home with the broken bolts, not knowing that it is a VANOS issue at that point, just that something is off. It seems 2 laps + 80 miles = chewed up cylinder head.

So DO NOT DELAY the inspection if you suspect the VANOS issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0