E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sockets 335i build

02-27-2018, 02:24 AM   #3587
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GOJIRA View Post
Garage Whifbitz over in the UK have actually developed a kit to bolt a DCT gearbox onto thier Toyota Supra.
So they have the lightning fast shifts, both up and down, complete with rev matching blip downshifts.
And knowing that Brintech Customs have put LS1's into bmws and kept the entire iDrive system and normal functions in tact, I dont see why you wouldn't be able to swap a 2J into one and retain all of the factory functions.
Just takes a bit of stuffing around.
Can you explain that in English please?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:51 AM   #3588
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Its easy to understand, just wouldn’t say it makes sense
As for brintech and the ls swap thats a masterpiece of engineering and coding, whcih could mean that in some way 2j could be swapped in althought the ecu is too old and not sure if standalones would work either

And for the dct, just because it works one way doesn’t mean it’ll work the other way
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:14 AM   #3589
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR, WN Caprice

Quote:
Haha Sorry.
Whifbitz in the UK have put a DCT gearbox into a supra, making it work 100% like it would in a bmw with the blips on downshift and everything.
Brintech have put an LS1 into a bmw, making it work 100% with all the bmw gadgetry like it was from factory.
So putting a 2J out of a supra into a bmw and mating it to the factory DCT gearbox shouldn't be that much more of a pain in the ass.
Hopefully that makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:31 AM   #3590
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GOJIRA View Post
Haha Sorry.
Whifbitz in the UK have put a DCT gearbox into a supra, making it work 100% like it would in a bmw with the blips on downshift and everything.
Brintech have put an LS1 into a bmw, making it work 100% with all the bmw gadgetry like it was from factory.
So putting a 2J out of a supra into a bmw and mating it to the factory DCT gearbox shouldn't be that much more of a pain in the ass.
Hopefully that makes more sense.
Thanks mate makes perfects sensenow lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #3591
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Quote:
Nice write up mate... you are spot on, we have maxed out the 98..
Not a chance dude, you maxed out 98 with your setup that's all.

98 has a lot more than that on our engines with the right setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:44 AM   #3592
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

No shit dude. Of course he meant with his setup. 😂 lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:33 AM   #3593
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

I'm not going to start assuming what he meant, as there are plenty of ways to interpret that but only one way in what he wrote.

Nice build socket but now that you done it, do you think it was worth it ?

Especially when a better result can be achieved using stage 2 turbos on 98
safely with basic bolt on parts.

It sort of defeats the purpose of building a single turbo kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #3594
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
I'm not going to start assuming what he meant, as there are plenty of ways to interpret that but only one way in what he wrote.

There was a guy before that asked pretty much the same questions but it all got deleted for some reason.

Basically summarized:

He's gone through a set of smoking RBs and a set of Pures (less than 20psi not driven hard). No point comparing this setup to twins, the single has already done more kms than either of the twins. I would say a setup that doesn't smoke is a better result no?

If you're talking about power numbers you can't really compare different dynos, for reference an FBO car on 98 stock twins does around 230kw on this dyno. Forgive us if we don't like comparing results from the Advan dyno with the glory knob turned up to 11. tawfeeqh can chime in on what he acheived on this dyno with full E85 with stage 2 turbos.

Defeats the purpose, whose purpose? Yours or Sockets? Main goal was a reliable upgraded setup that doesn't smoke and is responsive and driveable. Never been about making numbers. You can bang on about twins but that was tried twice and would be pretty damn stupid if he bought another set of twins that smoked.
      03-01-2018, 05:44 AM   #3595
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Maybe you missed the part where he tried 2 brands of Stage 2 twins and they both failed with minimal kms? He probably would have been happy with either of them had they not failed.

At that point, having spent >12K for essentially nothing, rather than going back for a third try, he opted for a small single turbo that would have good response and, being made by an actual turbo manufacturing company, would actually be reliable. That was his aim, as I understand it, and to that end he's nailed it.

Success can only be measured by the owner.

Some narrow-minded folk just want power. They equate money spent to power output achieved and use this arbitrary metric as a yardstick with which to judge the builds of others. If they aren't making over a certain amount after spending X dollars (where x = some magical threshold where the result suddenly becomes "worth it"), then they are deemed to have wasted their money and/or time.

Some do the same with drag times. Some are obsessed with both. Pretty sad isn't it.

Others like Phil have totally different goals, and their builds reflect that. Individuality - a totally bizarre concept, I know
Appreciate 1
Hoper184.00
      03-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #3596
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Guys if they wanted to build a numbers car it would be numbers car... it's not as if Socks and VTL are short on anything required to do so. It's a good street car which is what he wanted.

Great car and result.
      03-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #3597
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

There has been dozens of sets sold here that don't smoke, either they weren't installed properly, there was something not setup right or he was just plain unlucky

Yes its not all about power but if setup correctly on 98 a set of twins will drive, respond, make more power and be just as reliable as a single

Cant say singles are more reliable because I've seen plenty of single turbos fail prematurely, its just easier to change it out if they do, but with our cars they also have their shortfalls.

But I would still like to know from him

Do you think it was worth it ?

Would you do it again ?

Was the outcome worth the money and hassle ?

it would be nice if socket actually answered.

Last edited by martymil; 03-01-2018 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:35 AM   #3598
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Thanks vtl

In regards to my car, FBO, stage 2+ turbos (Hexon RR700) running full e85 with PI made only 330rwkw on this dyno. By comparison my car made 370rwkw on a mainline dyno (at Nizpro) with same setup.

Also another comparison a e92 335i that made 410rwkw at Advan made 380rwkw on the Nizpro mainline
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #3599
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfeeqh View Post
Thanks vtl

In regards to my car, FBO, stage 2+ turbos (Hexon RR700) running full e85 with PI made only 330rwkw on this dyno. By comparison my car made 370rwkw on a mainline dyno (at Nizpro) with same setup.

Also another comparison a e92 335i that made 410rwkw at Advan made 380rwkw on the Nizpro mainline
What an absolute pissa. Across the three dyno's:

330wkw = 370wkw = 400wkw or thereabouts...

So by that same relationship, Sock's car:

283wkw = 318wkw = 344wkw

Sweet, Socket your car made 344wkw at Advan @16psi on 98
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #3600
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes its not all about power but if setup correctly on 98 a set of twins will drive, respond, make more power and be just as reliable as a single
Actually a single will generally make more power on pump gas than a set of twins. All depends on the size of the single regarding top end power and spool.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #3601
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Generally yes, just with thia one it looks like it hits a wall at
16psi.

A gtx3076r would have been a better choice of turbo for this kind of setup on 98
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #3602
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
There has been dozens of sets sold here that don't smoke, either they weren't installed properly, there was something not setup right or he was just plain unlucky

Cant say singles are more reliable because I've seen plenty of single turbos fail prematurely, its just easier to change it out if they do, but with our cars they also have their shortfalls.

Would you do it again ?

As the guys pointed out the reason I wanted to go down the ST route was for reliability. After two sets of after market twins at $8K a pop (after buying the turbs parts, removal and install) I wasn’t about to keep swapping them out every 5-6 K. Both sets were installed by Active here in Melb so it def was not a case of botched installs. Point being while there may be people running after market twins without problems, there are lots who have had failures, including me. So I had two options st the time. Go back to stockies or go ST. Obviously I went down the ST route for the power of aftermarket twins but without the reliability issues. Originally I purchased Ducks world record breaking ST set up. If I was after big numbers we would have just dropped that in, but I’m 52 And don’t need something that would rip my face off. I wanted something quick, relliable with no lag, responsive low down like twins. That’s why we went with the 7670.

Did we deliver on these goals? Hell yeh. Would I like more power out of a ST set up? Who wouldn’t but Gary is def pulling harder then either set of twins before it and we have not finished the 98 or E85 tune. Plus this is a small ST built for responsiveness and reliability, trading off hp for driveabilty on the road in city traffic (I don’t track or drag). Was it worth it? Not for the $25K sunk into it so far, but that’s because that includes the $5K net after buying ducks kit, the $7K rip off that was fabtech in Sydney and balance of $13K for the 7670 install.
If I’d only spent $13K on it then yes it would have been worth it no doubt. Last word is I’m very happy with this set up as it is. It’s quick, responsive, sounds great and performs better then the RBs and PS2 I had in it before. I built this to be a daily driver street car and for that it’s perfect. If I decide to track it go for drag glory then we can always drop in a bigger turbo but that’s not what I’m into.

My guess is it’s putting out around 318 kw on 98 at 16 psi. We have work to do to get the wg to stay closed, but I would like the boost to be closer to 20 so In short the tune and final numbers aren’t in yet....
Appreciate 4
titium326.50
Hoper184.00
      03-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #3603
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
There has been dozens of sets sold here that don't smoke, either they weren't installed properly, there was something not setup right or he was just plain unlucky .
I wonder what the ratio is of smoking to non smoking aftermarket twins installed in Australia ? . all those smoking sets just unlucky?

when a turbo has a failure rate well below 1% of all units sold you can call it unlucky if one fails on you. when you see failure rates much greater then 10% it's not luck it's poor engineering choices in the design and poor quality control.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #3604
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Would you do it again ?

As the guys pointed out the reason I wanted to go down the ST route was for reliability. After two sets of after market twins at $8K a pop (after buying the turbs parts, removal and install) I wasnÂ’t about to keep swapping them out every 5-6 K. Both sets were installed by Active here in Melb so it def was not a case of botched installs. Point being while there may be people running after market twins without problems, there are lots who have had failures, including me. So I had two options st the time. Go back to stockies or go ST. Obviously I went down the ST route for the power of aftermarket twins but without the reliability issues. Originally I purchased Ducks world record breaking ST set up. If I was after big numbers we would have just dropped that in, but IÂ’m 52 And donÂ’t need something that would rip my face off. I wanted something quick, relliable with no lag, responsive low down like twins. ThatÂ’s why we went with the 7670.

Did we deliver on these goals? Hell yeh. Would I like more power out of a ST set up? Who wouldnÂ’t but Gary is def pulling harder then either set of twins before it and we have not finished the 98 or E85 tune. Plus this is a small ST built for responsiveness and reliability, trading off hp for driveabilty on the road in city traffic (I donÂ’t track or drag). Was it worth it? Not for the $25K sunk into it so far, but thatÂ’s because that includes the $5K net after buying ducks kit, the $7K rip off that was fabtech in Sydney and balance of $13K for the 7670 install.
If IÂ’d only spent $13K on it then yes it would have been worth it no doubt. Last word is IÂ’m very happy with this set up as it is. ItÂ’s quick, responsive, sounds great and performs better then the RBs and PS2 I had in it before. I built this to be a daily driver street car and for that itÂ’s perfect. If I decide to track it go for drag glory then we can always drop in a bigger turbo but thatÂ’s not what IÂ’m into.

My guess is itÂ’s putting out around 318 kw on 98 at 16 psi. We have work to do to get the wg to stay closed, but I would like the boost to be closer to 20 so In short the tune and final numbers arenÂ’t in yet....
Quote:
Last word is IÂ’m very happy with this set up as it is. ItÂ’s quick, responsive, sounds great and performs better then the RBs and PS2 I had in it before.
Well said Socks and I for one definitely appreciate the fact that your open to share all the ups and downs. Its all information that allows the rest of us to make more informed decisions on what we might want to do next

Brule and Coupes are also good examples of this with their diff conversions, lots of really good info, including issues and mistakes they've had and made

It's what makes this particular forum great, that and the all the knowledgeable and helpful people that are on here
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #3605
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

So what happened to only spending 7 to 8k ?

And 13k and thats not including your own time and labour?

So have you maxed out 98 with your setup or do you think there might be something left in it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #3606
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
So what happened to only spending 7 to 8k ?

And 13k and thats not including your own time and labour?

So have you maxed out 98 with your setup or do you think there might be something left in it ?
We will def get a bit more with more tuning at 16 psi and more if we can solve the waste gate cracking open and hit 20 or 21 psi. Then put it on the Nizpro dyno to do an comparison to the PS2s that were run on that dyno last year.
Then we will have the numbers, but we won’t be hitting 330 or above with the 7670 simply because of its size
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #3607
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

it will be good to see as I have another project this turbo will suit very nicely
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #3608
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
I wonder what the ratio is of smoking to non smoking aftermarket twins installed in Australia ? . all those smoking sets just unlucky?

when a turbo has a failure rate well below 1% of all units sold you can call it unlucky if one fails on you. when you see failure rates much greater then 10% it's not luck it's poor engineering choices in the design and poor quality control.
99% of the time just pushed well past their efficiency the other 1% hardware failure, simple as that.
Appreciate 0