E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What does this YELLOW LIGHT mean??! Anyone....

11-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
emilythevet
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i BMW

What does this YELLOW LIGHT mean??! Anyone....

I have searched high and low and cannot find the meaning of the light on my 2003 330i. I do not have the manual to refer to which is why I am posting.

The light is yellow in the shape of a square box and a small line comes out of it on the top right of the box. I assumed this was the battery so I had it changed 2 days ago. My car has 60K miles on it and this was the first time the battery was ever changed. It always runs well and I have yet to have any mechanical problems with her. After the changing of the battery, the light has came back on.

But I do not get it. My mechanic says to bring it back because this yellow square light may mean the alternator. But when he changed the battery, he told me he checked the voltage on the alternator and it was fine. So what now??

Can someone tell me what this yellow square box is with a line sticking out of it??

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Pics of the warning lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
emilythevet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
Pics of the warning lights.
No- it is an actual warning light for ____ something that I cannot figure out. It has nothing to do with headlights, fog lights, brights etc.

HELP??
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

only thing in the manual that you is describe is a box filled with liquid with a filler cap on the top right corner, if thats what you have then your coolant level is low. For a battery or alternator problem, it should be a battery symbol (showing Pos and Neg sides of the battery).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
emilythevet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
only thing in the manual that you is describe is a box filled with liquid with a filler cap on the top right corner, if thats what you have then your coolant level is low. For a battery or alternator problem, it should be a battery symbol (showing Pos and Neg sides of the battery).
Thank you, Bartman. I will have it checked out ASAP. I appreciate your reply and actually giving me a straight forward answer! Take care, Emily
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilythevet View Post
Thank you, Bartman. I will have it checked out ASAP. I appreciate your reply and actually giving me a straight forward answer! Take care, Emily
Emilythevet, maybe next time take an actual picture of the light with your cell phone, you'd get more help that way and every answer wouldn't be a complete "guess" (or snarky).

If your mechanic changed your battery just based on it being older, never changed and having a light on (that he didnt' know what it was), I don't think I'd trust him at all.

You should spend a little time on here and get to know your car so you don't get taken advantage of, or pissed when people can't help you.
      11-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Emilythevet, maybe next time take an actual picture of the light with your cell phone, you'd get more help that way and every answer wouldn't be a complete "guess" (or snarky).

If your mechanic changed your battery just based on it being older, never changed and having a light on (that he didnt' know what it was), I don't think I'd trust him at all.

You should spend a little time on here and get to know your car so you don't get taken advantage of, or pissed when people can't help you.
In addition, the battery needs to be "registered" with the car in order to work properly. I'm not sure you have a good mechanic
Appreciate 0