E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dealer Being Funny With Warranty

09-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #1
snaeem155
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dealer Being Funny With Warranty

I have a BMW comprehensive warranty on my car which has been used before and its paid out (with some haggling).

Now I think I have a blown chargepipe on my 335i which is why I took it in to BMW Harold Wood (Sytner).

Upon inspection they have found an oil leak at the back of the engine (they fixed the rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing less than 1 year ago under warranty), gearbox oil leak and diff oil leak.

They don't think my chargepipe has blown but its the AC pump (makes no sense as I dont have AC on but the whooshing noise is always there) so they want to tear it down and investigate.

They told me not everything is covered under warranty which going by the policy book is just not true.

They want me to pay for investigations into the issues and if it is something covered by warranty they will refund me, my argument is - everything bar a few bits like handles, brakes etc are covered so why should I pay? I haven't before.

Furthermore they asked to see my policy booklet which I sent along with a screenshot of what isnt covered and clearly it denotes all highlighted issues are covered.

If they proceed to be funny what is my best course of action?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Complain to BMW UK.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

With the whole 'you pay and they refund if it's covered thing' is usually meant in the sense of you agree to 'x' hours of diagnosis at 'x' charge, if it's then proven to be an item that's covered by warranty you don't pay investigation costs, however if it isn't covered you've already agreed to pay investigation costs - it saves the dealer spending hours investigating something that turns out not to be warranty with a customer refusing to pay
      09-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #4
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Everything there should absolutely be covered, the policy even covers wear and tear up to 100k so there's not even an argument with that either.

I've never had to argue anything under Warranty and mine is 12yrs old. As above, get in touch with BMW UK and if you can start taking it to the next nearest dealership instead
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d

They always state investigation work is chargeable unless they find something wrong which is covered under warranty

Usually they find the issue so it’s repaired and billed to the warranty company.
Appreciate 0