E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding M3 cluster

09-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #1
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Coding M3 cluster

I just eBayed a used cluster.

I don't care about the mileage tamper dot, as if I sell the car I will just swap the stock cluster back in. Because of this, I shouldn't need to worry about the EEPROM swap and just need to code it.

So what do I need to code on this to make sure everything works correctly? I've searched and searched with just reading about how everyone pays someone else...that's no good. I've coded a bunch of stuff already so I don't see a reason why I can't code this too.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

The issue you'll have is that the Kombi controls all go the check control and service functions.

If the Kombi isn't coded to your car; these functions will cease to work as far as I'm aware.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
The issue you'll have is that the Kombi controls all go the check control and service functions.

If the Kombi isn't coded to your car; these functions will cease to work as far as I'm aware.
So I need to code Kombi, which I figured. But is it as simple as copying everything from my current cluster or is there more to it?
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

have you used winkfp before? you will need to run this first then code.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
have you used winkfp before? you will need to run this first then code.
Yes, though my coding experience was coding stuff this past winter and haven't touched it since.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #6
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post

So I need to code Kombi, which I figured. But is it as simple as copying everything from my current cluster or is there more to it?
You may be able to use the trace files from your existing Kombi.

When I said coded to your car; I meant change the VIN. If you don't change the VIN; you'll get the tamper dot as you've mentioned plus the check control issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 03:08 AM   #7
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I've done an M3 DCT cluster swap into a 335i properly. Desoldered eeprom, written vin, code the cluster, recalibrate the dials.

NCSExpert doesn't let you code the cluster unless the VIN matches. You will need to remove the eeprom and write the vin. If the cluster is from a higher milage car, you will need to buy a new M35080 eeprom off ebay for $3. This is becausde the M35080 eeprom doesn;t allow odometer less than the current reading (its a tamper protection for people who want to turn back the odometer)

Do the job right imo. Find the nearest hackerspace and get them to remove the eeprom and write it for you.

Last edited by vtl; 09-20-2015 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

M35080v6 I think does not always need EEPROM removal.

With 8 pin SOP clip and R270+ programmer it can be programmed on board.

Simply read EEPROM, 'virginize' dump then write it back. Then just code with ncsexpert.

Also, if your new cluster has LOWER odo reading than your car, you don't need to change odo. Once vin is matched the car modules will always take the highest mileage.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 04:22 AM   #9
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Example of me programming m30850 on board with vin and odo change:

Not a soldering iron in sight...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 05:14 AM   #10
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Example of me programming m30850 on board with vin and odo change:

Not a soldering iron in sight...
Cool setup! I know theres a few programmers out there that can erase the first 32 bytes of a M35080 but I have just got a cheapo universal programmer. I figure its much cheaper to buy a $3 chip than a dedicated programmer.

I have never had issues with the odometer since the clusters were always from lower mileage cars. Just know it can be a tripping point after reading the datasheet.

For me soldering is no big deal, I can desolder a chip in less than 10 seconds (hot air) and put it in a zif socket in my ebay universal programmer.
      09-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

- Cluster is from a much lower mileage car
- I was under the impression this was not a EEPROM, just a read-only chip that had to be replaced. If I can just reprogram it, I'm sure I can find a programmer for a reasonable price and change the VIN
- I'm comfortable desoldering the chip if needed. I don't mind spending a few bucks on a universal programmer.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #12
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
- I was under the impression this was not a EEPROM, just a read-only chip that had to be replaced. If I can just reprogram it, I'm sure I can find a programmer for a reasonable price and change the VIN
- I'm comfortable desoldering the chip if needed. I don't mind spending a few bucks on a universal programmer.
Just reprogram it, the VIN is just an ascii string you overwrite.

This is the universal programmer I used (should be a lot cheaper than the Digiprog or R270 one):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-MiniP...-/221092473435

Even if you have a different model EEPROM, selecting M35080V6 for the chip type in the programming software works. I could not find 080D0WQ in the chip type list in the software but the 080D0WQ is functionally identical.

This is the process I did for another forum member:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=609

Its a little more than just desoldering but if you're handy its not that hard.
      09-21-2015, 04:32 AM   #13
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Exactly as vtl says.

You cannot overwrite vin however in already programmed eeprom. You must make vin string all FF bytes to appear as 'factory state' then use BMW winkfp / tool32 / ncsexpert to fill vin.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:17 AM   #14
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Exactly as vtl says.

You cannot overwrite vin however in already programmed eeprom. You must make vin string all FF bytes to appear as 'factory state' then use BMW winkfp / tool32 / ncsexpert to fill vin.
You know I read the same thing in another thread on bimmerfest but when I had the VIN string to FF, NCS Expert wouldn't even talk to the cluster. I just wrote the VIN of the vehicle and then everything just worked. I have only done e92 M3 clusters so not sure if the other KOMBI units are the same?

Didn't try using Tool32 to write the VIN since I lost the link to the thread for instructions and had no time to experiment (the owner had to catch a flight)
      10-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #15
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

I made some progress but need some help.

I purchased the Minipro and a SOP 8 clip. The clip is crap as it took several minutes before I could get it to make a proper connection, but once I did it was fine.

On 2EO I re-wrote the VIN to FF across the board. It wrote it, I read the chip back and it took. One thread I read said you need to write 00 to the first two lines of code, but the programmer was having none of that, giving an error.

I then tested it in the car. Put the cluster in, turned the car on, still had the tamper dot. I then recalled that I forgot to pull the latest KOMBI that's on the car, as I recently changed my VO for a new battery and recoded the car. I hooked my original cluster back up, went to read the vin in NCSExpert...and now I get a VIN error.

No idea what is going on. I just used NCSExpert on the car yesterday and it worked fine, reading the VIN without an issue and I coded several modules. Tossing this new cluster in caused some sort of issue.

Where do I go from here?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I made some progress but need some help.

I purchased the Minipro and a SOP 8 clip. The clip is crap as it took several minutes before I could get it to make a proper connection, but once I did it was fine.

On 2EO I re-wrote the VIN to FF across the board. It wrote it, I read the chip back and it took. One thread I read said you need to write 00 to the first two lines of code, but the programmer was having none of that, giving an error.

I then tested it in the car. Put the cluster in, turned the car on, still had the tamper dot. I then recalled that I forgot to pull the latest KOMBI that's on the car, as I recently changed my VO for a new battery and recoded the car. I hooked my original cluster back up, went to read the vin in NCSExpert...and now I get a VIN error.

No idea what is going on. I just used NCSExpert on the car yesterday and it worked fine, reading the VIN without an issue and I coded several modules. Tossing this new cluster in caused some sort of issue.

Where do I go from here?
I've seen that guide off bimmerfest

Coding the VIN locations to FFs didn't work for me. I have written 2 M3 clusters successfully and you need to do is replace the VIN with your vehicle's VIN, not FFs. Then you just need to code your cluster with NCSExpert

You can't overwrite the first 32 bytes of the EEPROM as it is a tamper feature of the M35080 (just google the datasheet for an interesting read). Stops people from winding back the clock.
      10-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Coding the VIN locations to FFs didn't work for me. I have written 2 M3 clusters successfully and you need to do is replace the VIN with your vehicle's VIN, not FFs. Then you just need to code your cluster with NCSExpert
I will try that next.

I just remembered I was an idiot and forgot to set my JB4 to MAP 0, so I'm sure that's why I couldn't read the VIN. I'll play with it later in the week.

Questions:
- When you hook up the new cluster you programmed with the car's VIN, did the tamper dot immediately go away or did you have to code the cluster in NCSExpert before it vanished?

- When you say coding the new cluster, can you be a bit more specific? Did you simply read the KOMBI off the old cluster then write it to the new cluster? Or did you manually change all needed settings from the KOMBI in the new cluster? Or did you use the old cluster's coding, change some things and code to the new cluster? Not a lot of info out there on this part of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I will try that next.

I just remembered I was an idiot and forgot to set my JB4 to MAP 0, so I'm sure that's why I couldn't read the VIN. I'll play with it later in the week.

Questions:
- When you hook up the new cluster you programmed with the car's VIN, did the tamper dot immediately go away or did you have to code the cluster in NCSExpert before it vanished?

- When you say coding the new cluster, can you be a bit more specific? Did you simply read the KOMBI off the old cluster then write it to the new cluster? Or did you manually change all needed settings from the KOMBI in the new cluster? Or did you use the old cluster's coding, change some things and code to the new cluster? Not a lot of info out there on this part of it.
- Tamper dot will be gone once the VIN matches
- Load up NCSExpert in expert mode (on mine its named 'expertmodus', the one that does NOT read from your MAN file, double check in the profile's options)
- Just do SG_CODERIEN with NCSExpert, it will load up your M3 cluster with the correct defaults
      10-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #19
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Ok, a few things...

I never had trouble changing VIN or mileage yet.

1. Verify your connections 100%. I've seen failed writes because of poor connection.

2. Don't use built in hex editors, use HxD

3. Re mileage - what is the value at 0x2D7 ? Change it to 00
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #20
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

It's working!!

- Never changed the mileage, as this cluster came out of a lower mileage vehicle, so I never bothered looking into it.

- Leaving the VIN at FF worked fine

- Putting the JB4 in MAP 0 fixed the VIN mismatch error (duh)

- I hooked up the cluster, put the car in MAP 0, opened up NCSExpert in Expertmodus, wrote to KOMBI and it worked. No tamper dot, no errors anywhere, all cluster features seem to be working. I even have new dash light features for the traction control disable my previous cluster didn't have. Variable tach works fine.

ONE LAST ISSUE:
The gauges are all a little low
- Tach is low...a good 100RPM or so off at idle, which obviously multiplies the problem at higher RPM

- Temp gauge is also a bit low. I'd guestimate it is 5 degrees low @ 160. I do love the new range starting at 120...much more useful.

- Fuel also seems a bit low. Can't tell from a level standpoint, but during gauge hijacking for boost, my peak boost (which is typically 16psi in 3rd) was only around 14 on the gauge - a little harder to tell since there are no hash marks on this gauge.

- Speedo is showing lower and I want to leave that as-is, as it always read high. I have the digital speedo enabled with the corrector disabled, so that's where I depend on my accurate reading.

My guess is I didn't get the needles back on perfectly. Obviously I can just pull it apart and move the needles but is there something else I can do to fine tune it?
Appreciate 1
Traf94.50
      10-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #21
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's working!!

- Never changed the mileage, as this cluster came out of a lower mileage vehicle, so I never bothered looking into it.

- Leaving the VIN at FF worked fine

- Putting the JB4 in MAP 0 fixed the VIN mismatch error (duh)

- I hooked up the cluster, put the car in MAP 0, opened up NCSExpert in Expertmodus, wrote to KOMBI and it worked. No tamper dot, no errors anywhere, all cluster features seem to be working. I even have new dash light features for the traction control disable my previous cluster didn't have. Variable tach works fine.

ONE LAST ISSUE:
The gauges are all a little low
- Tach is low...a good 100RPM or so off at idle, which obviously multiplies the problem at higher RPM

- Temp gauge is also a bit low. I'd guestimate it is 5 degrees low @ 160. I do love the new range starting at 120...much more useful.

- Fuel also seems a bit low. Can't tell from a level standpoint, but during gauge hijacking for boost, my peak boost (which is typically 16psi in 3rd) was only around 14 on the gauge - a little harder to tell since there are no hash marks on this gauge.

- Speedo is showing lower and I want to leave that as-is, as it always read high. I have the digital speedo enabled with the corrector disabled, so that's where I depend on my accurate reading.

My guess is I didn't get the needles back on perfectly. Obviously I can just pull it apart and move the needles but is there something else I can do to fine tune it?
Great. Glad it's working. FF is the correct way.

Regarding your needles. It's just a case of playing with them until you get them in the correct place. Enjoy. Any photos?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #22
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Great. Glad it's working. FF is the correct way.

Regarding your needles. It's just a case of playing with them until you get them in the correct place. Enjoy. Any photos?
I didn't take any photos (it was very early/dark when I tossed her in), though its no different than any other cluster swap.

I can't believe people pay $400 to have someone do this. I'll do a full write-up in the near future to make the whole process more clear.
Appreciate 1