E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blew water pump fuse after oil change and underbelly cleaning

01-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Blew water pump fuse after oil change and underbelly cleaning

Not sure how this happened but this may help someone else in the future...

After finishing an oil change I decided to clean the underbelly because of a leaking oil pan gasket. I used brake cleaner to spray around the rear side of oil pan and part of the transmission, nowhere near the water pump. The only electrical connectors that came into contact with the brake cleaner are the O2 sensor connections.

The next day I drove about 5 miles and got high temp warning. I initiated the coolant bleeding and realized the pump is not running at all. When I checked the WP connector, I noticed that I'm not getting 12V on pin1. After some digging on the internet, I found that the 30-amp F09 inside the e-box was blown. Replacing it brought the WP back to life.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm just curious how this could have happened and hope that this can help someone in the future.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00