E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Clutch judder 320d edition

01-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #177
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I have had a new clutch and flywheel fitted and it is a dream now.
My car is out of warranty now, so cant ask dealers.
Cheers for your input though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #178
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

People are getting them replaced with BMW paying for parts and 50% labour, so try and say you have been complaining about it for ages, when it was still in warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #179
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Forgot to update this thread!

I had the new clutch fitted by BMW in early January and so far after about 800 miles its been spot on. Feels like a totally different car, much lighter clutch action than before and very smooth. Seems more consistent as well if that makes sense? Really enjoying it now.

All they could tell me was that it was a 'modified' clutch from Germany, not flywheel etc. My car already had the software update from factory.

Dealer was absolutly top notch as well. As the car was a couple of thousand miles off a service they did it while it was in (got the 5 year service option) to save me having to go back in a month or so

Hopefully it will be plain sailing from here!
      02-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #180
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

It should be. Mine is still behaving. In fact I only thought about it this morning on the way in to work. Because of the weather there was lots of traffic and crawling along was a breeze. Something it wouldn't have been before.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #181
doyleon
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 Coupe Sport

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 320 CD Sport with exactly this problem. I have read every single page and actually this page has given a partial answer to my question.

My car is suffering from this Clutch Judder. However, the car is a 58 plate with 114,000 miles and FULL BMW service history. Where do is stand with visiting the dealer?

Do i go in with the expectation BMW should pay for this problem? or will they just say its high mileage, your clutch is in need of replacement. PAY UP>?

Cheers in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #182
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyleon View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 320 CD Sport with exactly this problem. I have read every single page and actually this page has given a partial answer to my question.

My car is suffering from this Clutch Judder. However, the car is a 58 plate with 114,000 miles and FULL BMW service history. Where do is stand with visiting the dealer?

Do i go in with the expectation BMW should pay for this problem? or will they just say its high mileage, your clutch is in need of replacement. PAY UP>?

Cheers in advance.
To be honest - the only true way you will find is to take the car to your local dealer and let them diagnose the fault (which may well mean authorising removal of your gearbox = £££).

Is your car still under warranty?

The fact that BMW have released several 'revised' clutches and the fact the very latest modified clutch release has been under testing for so long does say something and may give you something to go on if after the diagnosis they ask you to cough up for parts and labour.

However, with the mileage that your car has covered, it is also reasonable to assume that your original clutch has done its deed and therefore may be put down as wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #183
doyleon
Rep

Thanks BMWWAK.

I took it to them this morning and they booked it in for a days testing. After they told me it would be £75+ VAT for them to hook it upto a Diagnostics machine and if they needed to inspect the clutch i would have to pay for labour etc..

I think i'm just going to wait until it finally pops then get a local dealer to replace. High mileage means i cant justify the costs.

Just before i left the service manager reminded me my service was due next month and would be £402! Oil, microfilter and brake levels!

This is pretty steep! (non BMW dealer from now on)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #184
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyleon View Post
Thanks BMWWAK.

I took it to them this morning and they booked it in for a days testing. After they told me it would be £75+ VAT for them to hook it upto a Diagnostics machine and if they needed to inspect the clutch i would have to pay for labour etc..

I think i'm just going to wait until it finally pops then get a local dealer to replace. High mileage means i cant justify the costs.

Just before i left the service manager reminded me my service was due next month and would be £402! Oil, microfilter and brake levels!

This is pretty steep! (non BMW dealer from now on)
The first dealer I went to said the same thing to me. I.e. need to hook it up to their diagnostics machine. Personally, I did not believe something mechanical like a clutch would actually throw up fault codes.

The second dealer I went to test drove it, agreed something is wrong and then asked me to authorise gearbox removal.

If BMW history is not important to you then it might be safer to get it done at a local Indi. At the end of the day it is a bit of a 50/50 for you as your car has high mileage. Just buy the most latest clutch kit from BMW and give it to your Indi (it's actually not that expensive in comparison to the OEM but non genuine ones).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #185
Damaga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d tourer

Hi all thought I would add my two penneth worth...

Bought a 69k 320d on a 59 plate and straight away noticed the clutch judder, took it to the local dealer who did s/w update and this didn't fix it. They have agreed to replace the cluch FOC....top notch dealer.. I had a vw before the Beamer and they were never this good!!,
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #186
doyleon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaga View Post
Hi all thought I would add my two penneth worth...

Bought a 69k 320d on a 59 plate and straight away noticed the clutch judder, took it to the local dealer who did s/w update and this didn't fix it. They have agreed to replace the cluch FOC....top notch dealer.. I had a vw before the Beamer and they were never this good!!,
Was yours in warranty? After doing some homework, i came across B&M Servicing in Leeds, went to see them and there service is £110 (So defo getting my oil service from them) and they said they would test drive and diagnose the fault during service.

Does anyone have any idea on prices for new clutch? and labour timewise?

ps great site!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #187
Damaga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d tourer

Yes it was within warranty but with 69k on the clock they probably could have told me where to go...thankfully they didn't!!!
Appreciate 0