E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DPF Removal ??

11-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #89
chriz1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d?

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/bmw-diagnostic-cable/ email these guy very helpful,I m looking to getting the white cable for my car when funds allow,purely because I want to do some coding and in case I get the dreaded dpf fault,
I do have one of these http://www.scangauge.com/products/ that I have used on my previous cars and found it to be excellent,but I don't know if this will read and clear the dpf fault code in the way you want pal, where do you live?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #90
olivers
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade146 View Post
Those 3 options are about right. I cannot recommend a cable as i purchased one that was recommended to find I could only get some of the software working. I have inpa working but the version I have will not allow re generation. It does allow a fair amount of stuff but not what you require only error code deletion. I use a variety of devices. Im not aware of the holy grail of hooky software and cable. I wish there was.

There is no need to fit a replacement pipe unless that is your wish.
Thanks for your reply, can you confirm what you mean by "There is no need to fit a replacement pipe unless that is your wish" is this because i can gut the existing DPF?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #91
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Yes you can gut the dpf. There are pros and cons to whichever way you go. I went for gut dpf as it was cheaper and easier for me. I dont believe it has to be mapped either. I think there is a way of fooling the pressure sensors given some thought. It will not regen with zero pressure so dont believe all that. It probably will know there is a pressure fault but it may not show on the EML. All above is my best guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #92
TopCatz999
Rep
Drives: E90 - 335d, black

Quick update on my decision to remove the DPF - all went well apart from a delay because this was the first 335d the garage had seen and it takes more time to get to it than a 335i but that said, they seem to have done a good job and all of the power I used to have is back again, no warning lights and no sense of impending doom! Had to part with 600 notes mind you. Will report back if anything gets unstuck but otherwise, assume if you are reading this thread as part of your research/thinking that all is well and for me, at least, it was the right thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #93
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3207385970...84.m1436.l2649

£275 landed for the pipe from Germany

Vs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E90-E6...item3a76aa1517

£365

--
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #94
dazza88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

just read this on another forum and didnt know if it was correct or not?
''unless specifically specified then e9x's shouldn't have a DPF, its only Sept 2007 Build onwards with the Efficiency Dynamics package they added DPF's and the power hike''
??
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #95
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Pretty sure ALL the 6-cyl diesels have them fitted, your statement only applies to the 4-cyl engines.
      12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #96
dazza88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Pretty sure ALL the 6-cyl diesels have them fitted, your statement only applies to the 4-cyl engines.
Oh right fair enough, looks like I will be going down the DPF route in time then. Would like the car mapped but its prob a bit pointless before having the DPF removed?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #97
af1-330D
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330D

Let me know if you find someone in kent that can do this

I need it done too

If not maybe someone could do a group deal for us both

Alan
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #98
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

hm..I think I will buy the pipe from ebay :] better than cut the origin one in car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #99
newmac78
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Just for information:

Filter forcing regulations came into effect January 2013 for all diesel cars (Euro 5b level), where over the New European Drive Cycle (NEDC) particulate number (PN) is measured, the required level being less than 6x10^11 #/km.

What works in everyone’s favour is that PN is hard (read impossible) to measure at your local MOT centre, so you've only got to worry about the PM (particulate mass) + CO + HC + NOx (the normal pollutants that they can measure). Even when gasoline vehicle legislation becomes filter forcing (Sept 2014) it’s unlikely PN could be measured at an MOT centre, so I think you’re all safe for a long time.

It seems from the previous posts that the MOT test can still be passed without a DPF. I would imagine that the DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst) in the system is taking out enough CO and HC that the relatively easy MOT test can be passed – it may however be taking you closer to the limit. My company doesn’t make these catalysts, I believe they’re made by BASF, so I can’t comment on the metal loadings on the DOC – but they appear to be sufficient to pass.

As a previous poster said, the filter is on there for good environmental reasons – the smallest particles that come out are one tenth of a micron in size and are likely carcinogenic, but I do agree, the filter comes at a high price in terms of car performance.

Oh, as an aside, some people were also posting about using high pressure water to remove the soot and ash from the filter. It would be much better, if possible, to use compressed air (blowing from the outlet side). The water may partially dissolve the catalyst, washing out the Pt and Pd from the filter – making it less effective.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #100
sattapaal
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE Saloon

Garage List
2007 330d SE  [0.00]
Is there a video somewhere of how to remove the DPF yourself? I cant seem to find one. I want to clean mine. My DPF light comes on intermittently, but doesnt seem to affect the drive.

Reluctant for Delete and Remap, I'm happy being slow(ish) and safe
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #101
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

I'm another one .. 105k and my main thermostat has been buggered for years possibly ( previous owner) never saw 75C .. so never regen'd .. new thermostat in and it regens every 100 miles or so on runs , but still i think it's too late to save it as the warning light has come on ..so , ecotune it is . I approached Suoerchips because I already have a bluefin and they said they are not going down the dpf delete route for business reasons. So that leaves me with having to fork out extra for ecotune remap. planned for the next couple of weeks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #102
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Can't you get dpf's from scrappies? or reconditioned ones (with warranty)?

I personally dont want to run my car without a dpf. Theres been a few documenteries about air pollution killing more people than drink and car crashes combined. Diesel soot is a massive air polluter/carcenogenic. I'm not saying that enthusiasts shouldn't be allowed to de-dpf, but there is another side to bear in mind and not everyone should be doing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #103
n83a
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE
I'm another one .. 105k and my main thermostat has been buggered for years possibly ( previous owner) never saw 75C .. so never regen'd .. new thermostat in and it regens every 100 miles or so on runs , but still i think it's too late to save it as the warning light has come on ..so , ecotune it is . I approached Suoerchips because I already have a bluefin and they said they are not going down the dpf delete route for business reasons. So that leaves me with having to fork out extra for ecotune remap. planned for the next couple of weeks
I just posted this on another thread, I'm not an expert in anyway, just relaying my experience with the irritable DPF warning light. I had a similar issue with broken thermostats. Got them replaced and car now runs at 90/92*C once warmed up. DPF warning light kept appearing 10min after starting car every time. Was going to get the DPF removed this month, but for the last week or so the DPF warning light has stopped appearing. This could be down to a number of reasons, but i think it has to do with the fact I have driven nearly 2k of motorway miles over 2 wknds, which has caused the DPF to finally regen properly. So maybe you just have to be patient with it!

Unless something else is broken, which I don't think to be the case as I still get c.53 mpg on motorway and I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of the car.

Last edited by n83a; 05-14-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #104
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Unfortunately for me, my drive consists of 3miles of a road, 3 miles of dual carriageway and 140 miles of motorway, I can sometimes see 2 gens on a trip since sorting the stats , the car is trying but for me I reckon it's too far gone to recover. Buying one from a scrapper is a massive gamble and you'll still be looking at several hundred pounds.
I'd gladly have mine refurbished by means of an ultrasonic bath and pressure pulsing but I cannot find anyone in the UK that can do this. There are a few firms but they are all geared up for the truck dpf which is a nice cylindrical cannister and not some awkward shaped thing we have.

I've thought long and hard about this. I really don't want the smoke that a dpf delete comes with. Just looks like the car is knackered, but I'm gonna have to do something otherwise I'll be without a car and fortunately / unfortunately depending on how you look at it, the cheapest option right here right now is ecotune and even that's gonna cost a grand.
If anyone knows a reputable company who cleans dpf s properly, nows your time to speak up. Jet washing the dpf is false Economy, they only really penetrate about an inch or so and can in some cases solidify the crap in the channels making it completely impossible to clear and is only a temporary fix. Been there done that one which is why I'm not entertaining that method

Last edited by 335DEE; 05-14-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #105
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

What smoke ? had my dpf and egr deleted and all I get is a small puff at start up then its gone!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #106
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

It's when I see stuff like this . sure the car seems properly quick , but in a day to day living with it i'm unsure

Last edited by 335DEE; 05-15-2013 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #107
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo;1335DEE989689
Can't you get dpf's from scrappies? or reconditioned ones (with warranty)?

I personally dont want to run my car without a dpf. Theres been a few documenteries about air pollution killing more people than drink and car crashes combined. Diesel soot is a massive air polluter/carcenogenic. I'm not saying that enthusiasts shouldn't be allowed to de-dpf, but there is another side to bear in mind and not everyone should be doing it.
Damn it......my cars got the dpf alert

Just seen the vid 335DEE posted and whilst the noise was good, the smoke was not good!

Anyone got a dpf the want to sell me?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #108
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Thats running maxitune software and yes it does kick out a bit if smoke when you are WOT. Ecotune do a 'Ecotune' map which is smokeless even to the red line but you are only running about 330bhp instead of the 370ish the maxi gives you
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #109
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
Damn it......my cars got the dpf alert

Just seen the vid 335DEE posted and whilst the noise was good, the smoke was not good!

Anyone got a dpf the want to sell me?
Well, my indy has just done a forced regen on my car and its all fine now. We actually spent 2 hrs together going through all sorts of road tests etc. He explained that on my build of car the max pressure in one of the settings is 250. Mine was registering 400 at full throttle, hence the alert been thrown. He reports that on later model cars bmw set this limit to 500. He states to fix mine on a more perminant basis he needs to update the ecu to this new limit but it might remove my remap. Remap aside, he reports that this method has not resulted in any dpf's coming back after the forced regen (so long as the 500 limit is in place). He's done this for lots of customers and has NEVER had to replace a dpf on a car. He looks after some cars and there on 200k with the originall dpf.

I'll report back on my experience to see if this is all too good to be true or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #110
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
That will be the maximum allowed backpressure at full revs:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...98&postcount=7
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0