Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Opinions on TS810s ContiWinter SSR's

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Opinions on TS810s ContiWinter SSR's

Does anyone have any comments based on actual experience with these witner tires?

I have searched all over and there is very little to be said.

The reason I ask is that this is the tire that comes with the winter tire package from my dealer and due to the wheel/tire coverage I have I would feel better using the set from the dealer, despite the higher price.
      10-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
Does anyone have any comments based on actual experience with these witner tires?

I have searched all over and there is very little to be said.

The reason I ask is that this is the tire that comes with the winter tire package from my dealer and due to the wheel/tire coverage I have I would feel better using the set from the dealer, despite the higher price.
I got them from Tire Rack several years ago.

Still using them...as far as I am concerned, I have NO, repeat, NO problems with them, as I terrorize my neighborhood in winter.

Passed many AWD, 4WD, SUV, Audis (hahaha), and other vehicles in snow, ice, mud, without any hitches whatsoever. Of course, when the slush reaches 8-12 inches, all tires will have probs. I just drive more slowly and cautiously, but have had the pleasure of moving at a faster clip than all of the above!

Only thing better would be to have limited slip diff......oh yeah, I just installed my Quaife.....can't wait for the snow with my winters on...yeah!!! (just kidding about the braggadocio, not kidding about the LSD, though)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Thanks Flip4335! Good to hear. Just to confirm, are they the 'S' ones that have teh less agressive tread or the regular TS810?
      10-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
Thanks Flip4335! Good to hear. Just to confirm, are they the 'S' ones that have teh less agressive tread or the regular TS810?
I have the 810S for sport performance. I wouldn't call the tread less aggessive than the regular 810s because they were made for Euro weather and Euro performance brand vehicles. The regular 810s are for non-sporty cars.

Tire Rack says the following:

"ContiWinterContact TS810 S (Sport) Performance Winter tires were developed by Continental Tire to combine good snow traction with responsive handling and European high-speed capability. Available in low profile, H-, V- or W-speed rated sizes, ContiWinterContact TS810 S tires are for the drivers of high performance sport cars, sport coupes and sporty sedans who require winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads."

I have 18s, not 17s, and they are W-rated for higher speeds, especially on dry, cold days where I would drive above 70mph. Temps fluctuate between -5 and 70 degrees farenheit in my area during winter, so I need performance winters that can tolerate speeds above 60mph.

I have non-RFTs with TPMS. Didn't bother with the more expensive SSRs. In three seasons, I have had no probs with non-RFTs. They are better over potholes, too. No bubbling as in SSRs. Plus, I have them mounted on their own set of rims. On and off with nominal fee. No need to ruin OEM rims or pay so much to change them twice a year.

Your choice, though...G/L
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I think they are not the newest technology, although still in Continental's lineup. I bought the new extremewintercontact tires, but haven't put them on yet. We don't get much snow here, but the story is they perform much better than summers in cold wet conditions too, so that sold me. Anything will be better in winter than the stock summer tires.
Appreciate 0